Boss - Metal Zone MT2 mods

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
hyrk
Information

Post by hyrk »

Some one have the source of the Chainsaw mod by anarch audio ?

Xavier
Information

Post by Xavier »

Just a quick question on the gyrators in case someone is so kind to help...

It is clear to me now how to deactivate a gyrator by removing one of the caps ...but what if I want to keep the gyrator and be able to set a different amount than either full on or full off ? can I add a trimmer somewhere ?..For example in the pre section as below

Would something like a 10k trimmer between C034 and C032 work ?

Ichabod_Crane
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ichabod_Crane »

Did someone already try this:

Ichabod_Crane
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ichabod_Crane »

Ok, no kidding.
I'm looking for some information about a kind of Fuzz mod of the MT-2. I just seen a Brian Wampler's video about some modded MT-2, really cool. I'm very curious about the Fuzz version, a great huge fuzz tone.
I found just a source, and the mod consist just to jumper the two clipping diodes (beside the usual correction of the eq). I found really few demos on youtube, the only convincing fuzz sound is in the Wampler's video.

I want to know more about it, Did somebody make some fuzz mods on the Metal Zone?

Thanks! :)

clerveans
Information

Post by clerveans »

Saw this mod in this thread
2 1n60p diodes facing opposite directions twisted to each other and then bridged between 2 lifted leads from the negative leg of C27 and the leg of R33 that is closest to IC4.

https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14506
I have a lot of questions.
Has anyone attempted this mod? What were the results?

I've already done the Diezel mod (as per CSGuitars tutorial) on my MT-2, so would this noise reduction mod work in conjunction with other modifications, like the Diezel? (I'm woefully ignorant about the engineering, but if you tell me to solder this to that and explain why it does what it does, I can understand, but on that note...)

I'm not sure of how one would perfom the above step by step, but I take this to mean:
  • Taking two 1n60p diodes, twist together the legs of opposite charges to each other, i.e. positive leg of diode A twisted together with the negative leg of diode B, and vice versa
  • Desolder the negative leg of C27 and resolder it to one end of the 1n60p diode braid
  • Desolder the the most proximal leg of R33 to IC4 and resolder it to the other end of the 1n60p diode braid
Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

thetragichero
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by thetragichero »

clerveans wrote:...
i have done this mod, along with a bunch of others. my best guess, from looking at the schematic (https://electricdruid.net/boss-mt-2-met ... -analysis/ ) is that these diodes won't conduct if the signal is less than about 300mV (forward voltage drop of germanium 1n60p), so when you're not playing it should be quieter. when you're playing, the volume of the noise is << the volume of you're guitar signal, so overall it sounds like you've cut the noise

I originally just did this mod without investigating the why, but now I think I should breadboard a quick and noise gate using this concept

(you are interrupting the connection between C27 and R33, so if you set your multimeter to continuity setting, you can probe for the two legs you're desoldering from the board. once you solder the diodes, if the whole mess seems a bit unstable a few carefully placed drops of hot glue should secure it)

I LOVE my modified metal zone

clerveans
Information

Post by clerveans »

thetragichero wrote: i have done this mod...
Thanks for your response. I don't know how to give thanks on here using the message board system for doing so (it seems there's a way, as your profile says you've given thanks). My MT-2 is beast mode now: Diezel mod w/ noise redux.

thetragichero
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by thetragichero »

that 'noise reduction' mod certainly reduces background noise, but I've found that in my current bass setup (in the fx loop of my sansamp preamp) it doesn't sustain very well (as one would expect since anything below a diode drop gets clamped off). unsure if I'll reverse this particular mod or live with it or try something else. so far it's the only dirt pedal that agrees with getting slammed with active bass + dimed preamp/gain

I think this mod was borrowed from the hm-2, where a common mod is to remove the stock antiparallel 'gate' diodes

some folks love a blatty fuzz-like decay, though

Gila_Crisis
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Gila_Crisis »

I got lately for 30$ a Boss MT2 so I couldn't resist to do some mods to it.
The first idea was to "transform" it into a DOD Death Metal, since the circuits (parametric mids apart) are the same more or less. but this DOD-fication was not sounding so as I was expecting. So I took also some inspiration from the Boss HM2 (and the Anarchy Audio MT2 to HM2 mod).
what I came out with is a brutal Doom/Grind machinery!

Here the mods:
C33: 47nF
C35: 220pF
C31: 100nF
Added 3x 1N4148 diodes, asymmetrical clipping around the gain pot.
Lifted one leg or R33 so that I could instal 2 germanium diodes, between the already mentioned R33 and C27.
Added a 1nF cap in parallel with the clipping diodes.
R31 & C23: remove and no jumper
C24: remove, no jumper.
C20: 1,5uF
R27: 330ohm
C16: 47pF
R26: 47k
C10: 47pF
C8: 470nF
C9: 68nF
R12: 1K

Enjoy!
Zwischen Ordnung und Chaos fangt die Musik an

Gila_Crisis
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Gila_Crisis »

Gila_Crisis wrote:I got lately for 30$ a Boss MT2 so I couldn't resist to do some mods to it.
The first idea was to "transform" it into a DOD Death Metal, since the circuits (parametric mids apart) are the same more or less. but this DOD-fication was not sounding so as I was expecting. So I took also some inspiration from the Boss HM2 (and the Anarchy Audio MT2 to HM2 mod).

Here the mods:
Lifted one leg or R33 so that I could instal 2 germanium diodes, between the already mentioned R33 and C27.

Enjoy!
A small update: in the end I also removed C35, and putted 100nF at C36 and C42.
Zwischen Ordnung und Chaos fangt die Musik an

418a
Information
my favorite amplifier: Orange Rockerverb 100 MK2

Post by 418a »

Gila_Crisis wrote:
Gila_Crisis wrote:I got lately for 30$ a Boss MT2 so I couldn't resist to do some mods to it.

Here the mods:

Enjoy!
A small update: in the end I also removed C35, and putted 100nF at C36 and C42.
SO, DID YOU MAKE IT?
HOW IT SOUNDS?

Ali7887
Information

Post by Ali7887 »

I have modded to keeley mod and now its awesome...if i want more smoother and warmer sound from mt-2, what is your recomendations? Thanks.