Rehousing cheap pedals

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
1986lespaul
Information

Post by 1986lespaul »

I am thinking about purchasing one of these pedals and was curious as to what switch I would use to replace the plastic one?

nooneknows
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by nooneknows »

a 3pdt bypass switch: see some posts above for a schematic

1986lespaul
Information

Post by 1986lespaul »

alright, I get that. Now what pots are used?? I've seen a 50k and a 100k dual gang, but how exactly do yo wire up the dual gang?

1986lespaul
Information

Post by 1986lespaul »

and also, if i plan on using a DC power adapter, do I still need the 9v battery clip as well? according to http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/St ... /index.htm it shows a power adapter as well as the 9v battery which confused me.

Dallas
Information

Post by Dallas »

sevinisthenumber wrote:The volume fix was easy as well. Fust add a 100k pot inbetween the PCB out and where it connects to the 3pdt.
Lug one=PCB out Lug two=to footswitch Lug three=ground
Wanting to mod this pedal and keep it's curent housing...

Can I add a resistor or a few components to the signal after it exits the board to slightly pull down the volume level? Yes, I'm new to this chalenge. How about an internal trim pot?

handyman
Information

Post by handyman »

I just picked on of these up on Ebay, and can't wait to open it up.

I'm assuming that's a small incandescent light bulb next to the LDRs? Anyone know if replacement bulbs for this thing are readily available? I'd hate for the thing to turn into a paper weight once the filament burns out.

JiM
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Completed builds :
Proco Rat
MXR MicroAmp in a volume pedal
TubeDriver (w/ NoS russian tube and big muff tone contol) + Phase 45 (w/ univibe cap ratio)
Dallas Rangemaster (w/ noisy OC75, negative ground)
SubCaster tube booster (w/ NoS russian tube, PtP)
Hot Harmonics
Music From Outer Space SubCommander in progress
Crackle Not OK
Simple bass blender in a 1590A
Bazz Fuss with a photo-darlington

Post by JiM »

1986lespaul wrote:how exactly do yo wire up the dual gang?
Hmm, just like the one you remove(d) ?
1986lespaul wrote:it shows a power adapter as well as the 9v battery which confused me.
It's just to have the choice. If you are sure you'll never use batteries, you can omit it.
I only give negative feedback.

danielzink
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: Too many: www.danielzink.com

Post by danielzink »

JiM wrote:
1986lespaul wrote:how exactly do yo wire up the dual gang?
Hmm, just like the one you remove(d) ?
You've never been inside a Chicken Salad...JiM ?

The stock pot is a pc mount dual gang pot - so all 6 pins are on the same plane.....next answer ?

Dan
http://www.danielzink.com
MoonWatcher wrote: Silent ain't better. If someone cracks the shitwind, I want to know what's headed my way. Silence is for the library and the cemetery.

JiM
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Completed builds :
Proco Rat
MXR MicroAmp in a volume pedal
TubeDriver (w/ NoS russian tube and big muff tone contol) + Phase 45 (w/ univibe cap ratio)
Dallas Rangemaster (w/ noisy OC75, negative ground)
SubCaster tube booster (w/ NoS russian tube, PtP)
Hot Harmonics
Music From Outer Space SubCommander in progress
Crackle Not OK
Simple bass blender in a 1590A
Bazz Fuss with a photo-darlington

Post by JiM »

danielzink wrote:You've never been inside a Chicken Salad...JiM ?
The stock pot is a pc mount dual gang pot - so all 6 pins are on the same plane
I admit i've never been inside.
But it should be easy to measure the stock pot to determine its pinout, like you did : http://pws.cablespeed.com/~danielzink/m ... salad6.jpg
I only give negative feedback.

C.SCAN13
Information

Post by C.SCAN13 »

I'm looking to have my Danelectro Chicken Salad vibe rehoused and upgraded....is there anyone here that does this and how much do you charge and where are you located? Thanks for any and all help.

pinkfloydfan1989
Information

Post by pinkfloydfan1989 »

sevinisthenumber wrote:The volume fix was easy as well. Fust add a 100k pot inbetween the PCB out and where it connects to the 3pdt.
Lug one=PCB out Lug two=to footswitch Lug three=ground
Hi,

Could you make some photos of how did you do that?

I really want to kill this volume boost :twisted: .

Thanks

ChristoMephisto
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by ChristoMephisto »

Has anyone tried this mod to their Dano chicken salad?
http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f68/da ... 66515.html

What part of the photocells is the flashing led wired to?

SwamperGene
Information

Post by SwamperGene »

First post here so...hi everyone :D

I really like this vibe too but like you guys the volume boost and delay bug me. Last night I decided to follow up on some of these tips and here's what I came up with...pretty much both issues can be taken care of at the switch.

If you simply bridge the two points I marked with red dots, the vibe circuit will be "always on", curing the delay issue. My biggest concern with this mod, though, is bulb life...the problem isn't so much that it's on all the time but it's pulsating all the time which is hell on a filament. So looking a little closer what I think I'm gonna do is run a wire with a simple SPST switch from the "off" side of the vibe circuit part of the switch to the power wire on the board (red one on the right side plug). This way you can set the "always on" state from outside the box as needed, ie before a song that will use the vibe.

Actually after I made the pic I realized you could just as easily add the switch with each wire going to one of the two switch lugs I marked with red dots :)

For the volume boost, my plan is to cut the yellow-highlighted trace then add a mini pot or trimpot across eiher side of the now cut trace with the third leg to a ground. The reason I think a pot might be better vs a fixed resistor is that if the LDR's are contributing to the boost that level will vary over time and also with temperature, so you could compensate as needed.

SwamperGene
Information

Post by SwamperGene »

handyman wrote:I just picked on of these up on Ebay, and can't wait to open it up.

I'm assuming that's a small incandescent light bulb next to the LDRs? Anyone know if replacement bulbs for this thing are readily available? I'd hate for the thing to turn into a paper weight once the filament burns out.
By the looks of it you should be able to use what they call a "grain of sand" bulb, they are tiny 12V bulbs used in model railroading and slot cars.

danielzink
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by danielzink »

I wouldn't worry about it....really.....

The Chicken salads use a bulb also - and they're in an "always on" state.

Plus - how many of the original Univibes are out there - still on their original bulb.

I got my first Cool Cat Vibe a few days ago and am in the process of some mods to it as well.

Dan
MoonWatcher wrote: Silent ain't better. If someone cracks the shitwind, I want to know what's headed my way. Silence is for the library and the cemetery.

devastator
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by devastator »

Someone have already rehoused this little danelectro pedals in Wah-wah pedal ? that can be cool. :hmmm:

SwamperGene
Information

Post by SwamperGene »

I suppose you're right Dan, I'm just gonna power it up and forget about it :mrgreen:

danielzink
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by danielzink »

devastator wrote:Someone have already rehoused this little danelectro pedals in Wah-wah pedal ? that can be cool. :hmmm:
I built one for a friend:

Dan

puppiesonacid
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by puppiesonacid »

very cool dan. is that the RG keen LERA add on board? doesn't that defeat the purpose of the foot control? :scratch:

danielzink
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by danielzink »

puppiesonacid wrote:very cool dan. is that the RG keen LERA add on board? doesn't that defeat the purpose of the foot control? :scratch:
Nope - somethin' else............. :twisted:

Dan