Boss Hyper Fuzz (FZ-2)

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
Gila_Crisis
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Gila_Crisis »

I really really enjoy my FZ2, abut before i tried a pair of mods.
First I changed R27 form 2.2k to 1k to have less gain with the pot turned down.
Then I swamped D4 and D5 with a pair of Germaniums and to recover a bit the volume loss i remplaced R42 and R23 with 5k.

really reall nice, I think germanium had a bit more of organics to the sound.
Zwischen Ordnung und Chaos fangt die Musik an

Gila_Crisis
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Gila_Crisis »

I restored the clipping diodes to the original Si, although with Ge the sound it's more close to a Univox Superfuzz, I like better the tightness of Si on the FZ2 (and so I restored R23 and R42 to 10k).
A thing I've done that I suggest you to do is the following: remove R46 and R54 (both 27k) and replace them with 22k, wire one side to the base connections of Q13 and Q14 and the other to the external-lugs of a 10k trim, whose center-lug is wired to ground. Actually this was found on some Superfuzzes as well.
Now with this you can tune the octave/ring-mod effect of the fuzz to be more o less present. Just try it, you won't be disappointed ;)
Zwischen Ordnung und Chaos fangt die Musik an

DWBH
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by DWBH »

Does anyone here also LOVE the boost mode on this pedal?
The fuzz sounds are awesome, but the boost mode kicks as much ass as the fuzz modes.
I've been thinking of having just the boost side on a single pedal, but I was wondering if the equivalent load from the stages after the gain knob are of any importance to the overall sound from the boost.

xelalien
Information

Post by xelalien »

Gila_Crisis wrote:I restored the clipping diodes to the original Si, although with Ge the sound it's more close to a Univox Superfuzz, I like better the tightness of Si on the FZ2 (and so I restored R23 and R42 to 10k).
A thing I've done that I suggest you to do is the following: remove R46 and R54 (both 27k) and replace them with 22k, wire one side to the base connections of Q13 and Q14 and the other to the external-lugs of a 10k trim, whose center-lug is wired to ground. Actually this was found on some Superfuzzes as well.
Now with this you can tune the octave/ring-mod effect of the fuzz to be more o less present. Just try it, you won't be disappointed ;)
actually it's R44 and R56. :secret:

GodSaveMetal
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by GodSaveMetal »

dread pierat wrote:To mess up your valuable pedal all you need is to reference a Superfuzz schematic and alter the highlighted areas in the attachment accordingly.

Clippers: D4,D5. Change to some nice germaniums.
Notch filter: Cut, replace and jumper.

Then move the output to the output of IC1a. :| :wink:
Mr. dread; please you have a photo of the solder side of this pedal; and the components side?? I want to clone this pedal; in my country I don´t found it!! nobody knows about it!!; I know how to made the cases and make adaptations of the ICs and transistors; I cloned a HM-2 in a case like the BOSS one´s; look at the picture; it´s a BOSS HM-2 case and circuit I´ve cloned. Thanks man!!!!
Attachments
All cloned case and circuit
All cloned case and circuit
Casi completo con pegatinas lado IMPUT.jpg (30.07 KiB) Viewed 2401 times

dread pierat
Information
my favorite amplifier: 2204

Post by dread pierat »

The schematic and component side picture can be found in the other FZ-2 thread, https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10954

GodSaveMetal
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by GodSaveMetal »

dread pierat wrote:The schematic and component side picture can be found in the other FZ-2 thread, https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10954
yes man I see all the pictures, please anybody have all the layout picture?? I don´t see across the cables !!!! were is the Q11; Q7 or the Q6???? please somebody post the complete layout pictures.
In the schems are error the Q8 in the output is a transistor and in the list is a FET???? and don´t see the Q1, Q2 or Q5 in the schem; thanks, excuse too many questions, I wana do a clone; In my country IT so expensive; I have all the parts; I made my enclosures like BOSS. THANKS a lot. :applause: :applause: :applause:

Beedoola
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Beedoola »

Has anyone isolated the boost mode in a schematic?

I'd really like to build just the boost as that is my favorite mode.

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

Does anyone sell a pcb for the FZ-2 (including the buffers...)?