Landgraff - Custom 50W head # 13

Posts on strange stompboxes on ebay, old amps from a garage sale, new boutique businesses, great deals, all these topics go in here.
modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Landgraff - Custom 50W head # 13

http://i8.ebayimg.com/08/i/000/cf/37/ac2d_1.JPG
http://i11.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/cf/37/ada1_1.JPG

Description

This is one of the rarest and difficult to obtain amps. Serial #13 Custom 50 watt head made by John Landgraff. It comes with all the original documentation. This is one of the most touch sensitive amps available. It can go from pristine clean to overdrive with changes in pick attack and guitar volume. It will do classic EL34 OD at lower volumes. As you can see, this amp comes with an exotic figured wood box, a major upcharge compared to the standard tolexed box. The amp has all the available options including pentode/triode switching, SS/tube rectification, preamp tube triode switching, etc. This amp will work amazing as part of a live rig or, as a studio amp because of its amazing versatility. It has 2 power tubes, 4 12ax7's, and a tube rectifier. You have numerous tube choices which are outlined in the paperwork. If you can get Landgraff to build you one of these amps, it would take well over 2 years and cost $5k. Here is your chance to get a mint, undistinguishable from new, head without the wait.
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

seniorLoco
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by seniorLoco »

just get a ceriatone liverpull 8)
"Curiosity may have killed the cat, but it saved the mice, who ate the cheese."

seniorLoco
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by seniorLoco »

just get a ceriatone.... 8)
"Curiosity may have killed the cat, but it saved the mice, who ate the cheese."

AL
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by AL »

I really want to see the insides of one of those. $5K is a HUGE amount of money to spend on an amp - especially if it's new and you're not a collector.

Does anyone have any gut shots? It sounds/looks like it's Marshall based.

AL

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

I believe that the price is arbitrary - just like his pedals. I doubt there's actually anything in there that would make you say, "Yup, that's a $5,000 amp." His stuff is expensive just because he knows it will sell. It could be a stock kit for all we know and people would still pay $5K just because it's got his name on it. His 5E3s that got so much attention a few years ago were just stock kits - not even modded or tweaked, just hyped to death - I wouldn't be surprised if this amp is the same situation.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

AL
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by AL »

soulsonic wrote:I believe that the price is arbitrary - just like his pedals. I doubt there's actually anything in there that would make you say, "Yup, that's a $5,000 amp." His stuff is expensive just because he knows it will sell. It could be a stock kit for all we know and people would still pay $5K just because it's got his name on it. His 5E3s that got so much attention a few years ago were just stock kits - not even modded or tweaked, just hyped to death - I wouldn't be surprised if this amp is the same situation.
Well I thought so too. That's why I want to see the guts. I'm not impressed with his pedals for the price - I was curious if the amps are the same.

I didn't know that about the 5E3's. Arey you saying they are a real "kit"? Meaning he ordered them from somewhere and put them together?

AL

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

I can't say for sure, honestly. I just used the word "kit" to denote "stock". Clay Jones was the one who was talking about that - I doubt we'll ever see him around here again...
He could have had done it pretty easily from a cheap kit, and then just substitute some nicer parts in there. I know that Weber supplies stuff to several boutique amp builders - sometimes just chassis and cabinets, sometimes entire kits. That is a good reason to want to see the inside - it likely wouldn't be hard to trace the origins of the parts if we could see them.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran