3D printed stompbox cover

Posts on strange stompboxes on ebay, old amps from a garage sale, new boutique businesses, great deals, all these topics go in here.
Engi-ninja
Information

Post by Engi-ninja »

Hello!

I'm new to this forum, but I just built my first TS808 clone a couple of months ago. It was a fun project, and it sounds pretty awesome! I own a 3D printer, and in the course of my project, I had the thought to 3D print a cool looking cover for the stomp box instead of painting it. Long story short, it worked, and it looks pretty cool!

Anyway, since it worked well for me, and I think it looks much better than hand painting it, I thought maybe other folks might interested in it too. Would there possibly be a market for such a thing? The other neat feature is that the cover can be used as a 3D template for drilling the holes in blank boxes, which makes it a little easier. I can also do custom colors, and I can print whatever name you want directly into the cover. I think it's a cool way to make a DIY stomp box look completely unique and professional. Check out the pictures and let me know what you think!

Frank_NH
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Frank_NH »

That is pretty cool! However, I prefer to use aluminum enclosures for grounding and overall sturdiness. What you could do is 3D print a top plate (maybe 3mm thick) which could be glued to an aluminum enclosure, with custom artwork and labels embossed in the plate.

Engi-ninja
Information

Post by Engi-ninja »

Thanks! There is an aluminum enclosure inside. The 3D printed cover just slips over the outside, and it's held on by the nuts that hold the pots and switches. I thought about printing an enclosure out of conductive PLA to eliminate the need for the aluminum altogether, but it would have been prohibitively expensive.

Frank_NH
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Frank_NH »

OK. The enclosure cover looks great. I suppose you also have it 3D print custom knobs while you were at it. :D

I did a quick search for 3D printed enclosures and that brought up a bunch of hits. So people are out there doing this sort of thing. I don't have access to a 3D printer, but I suppose there are places you can send your models to for printing.

Engi-ninja
Information

Post by Engi-ninja »

Haha, I literally just printed some matching knobs for it last night.