Group buy of EH Bad Stone Phase Shift boards

Looking for a particular component or hardware part and you just cannot find it? Got comoonents surplus and want to get rid of it? Post it all here... No sales of working pedals, put these in the 'Seen for sale' section please.
greenskull
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by greenskull »

Disconnect your other pedals and just run the Badstone off the One Spot and see what happens?
Hate to say this, but I was not 100% happy with my build. That .01 output going into the LPB .1uf input cap is very thin sounding to me, so I bypassed the .01 and that gave some fullness back. Also I want to experiment with different opamps for a richer sound... currently have some Thompson Tl072's from Tayda Electronics, which sound a bit sterile. Maybe the noisy 4558's are the way to go.... I'll report back when I settle on something.
fuck smooth tone, fuck eric johnson - Seiche

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

greenskull wrote:Disconnect your other pedals and just run the Badstone off the One Spot and see what happens?
Hate to say this, but I was not 100% happy with my build. That .01 output going into the LPB .1uf input cap is very thin sounding to me, so I bypassed the .01 and that gave some fullness back. Also I want to experiment with different opamps for a richer sound... currently have some Thompson Tl072's from Tayda Electronics, which sound a bit sterile. Maybe the noisy 4558's are the way to go.... I'll report back when I settle on something.
Stock cap for the LPB is .1, must be an error on the parts list.

I'll try running it alone on the one spot and see what happens.

azrael
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by azrael »

Scruffie wrote:
Barcode wrote:So are we saying there are actual issues with the LPB section on the board? If so that would make me feel a heck of a lot better about it not functioning for me...
Yes I beleive so, you can breath a sigh of relief, then shout at me :oops:

The actual Bad Stone is sound though, so anyone having problems with that... that's just unfortunate.
:(

I haven't worked on mine much since all this, still need to write down proper voltage readings, but I may just try rebuilding on the second board I bought...

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

okay tried it alone on the one spot and got the same bad results. Given that the power supply it works on is a 12v, I'm guessing I have a wrong resistor value on R50 so the voltage is too low and everything is misbiased. At least that's what it sounds and looks like. More to come...

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

R50 must be 100R :hmmm: I think it's not big enough to dry your voltage... in fact, you can put a jumper instead without expecting big changes!

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

Duckman wrote:R50 must be 100R :hmmm: I think it's not big enough to dry your voltage... in fact, you can put a jumper instead without expecting big changes!
I was thinking more that I might have the wrong resistor all together in that spot. i was tinkering around with it when I had my initial troubles, so I may have left a higher/lower resistor in place.

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

That was it! I had an incorrect resistor for R50. All is well now!

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

:applause: :thumbsup

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

False alarm. I was being an idiot. I still had the original supply that already worked attached to it. Back to the drawing board...

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

Barcode wrote:False alarm. I was being an idiot. I still had the original supply that already worked attached to it. Back to the drawing board...
The only thing I can think of trying is putting in a 9V Regulator... I can't think why the power supply wouldn't work... the 4049 has some diode protection that doesn't like switching power?
Barcode wrote: Stock cap for the LPB is .1, must be an error on the parts list.
Yes that is a parts list error, i'm gunna try and update everything tonight/tommorow with all the information that's come to light.

My this has been a bumpy one, then again, looking back at the build reports of the toppopiccione layout, it's just one of those pedals!

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

FYI, I also verified the same bad behavior on my SignalFlex regulated 9v power supply. So I'm 99% sure it's a 9v vs. 12v thing. I'm going to try removing the resistor all together and putting in a jumper. When I changed the resistor, it did reduce the misbiased effect, so I'm sure it's just a matter of tweaking/removing that resistor. Perhaps if there is a second run of these we should replace that resistor with a biasing trimpot?

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

Barcode wrote:FYI, I also verified the same bad behavior on my SignalFlex regulated 9v power supply. So I'm 99% sure it's a 9v vs. 12v thing. I'm going to try removing the resistor all together and putting in a jumper. When I changed the resistor, it did reduce the misbiased effect, so I'm sure it's just a matter of tweaking/removing that resistor. Perhaps if there is a second run of these we should replace that resistor with a biasing trimpot?
Interesting... i'm really gunna have to get the Badstone on the breadboard and have a good long session with it when I get the chance, so many projects though and such little time...

I doubt very much there'll be a second run of these, I don't think there's interest enough to warrant it, atleast not at such a reasonable price after changing the layout, prototyping the boards and doing a smaller bulk order of them.

But ya never know I suppose! It was interesting to do... i'll make sure the next run of whatever if there is one goes much smoother.

timbo_93631
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Low wattage SE amps
Completed builds: Many many many true bypass and voicing mods on wahs.
A few BYOC kits and DS-1 mods and eventual murder then rebirth into an actually useful pedal, Bad Stone clone, various Rangemasters/SilconMasterBlaster, The worlds greatest gutted GCB-95 volume pedal conversion with various switching options for controlling amps. Repaired many tube amps, scratchbuilt Marshall 18 watt clone and Supro 1616t rebuild. Delays, fuzz, dirt, every Madbean project I could afford. I even manage to find time to make babies with my wife too!

Post by timbo_93631 »

This pedal took some debugging to get it to work, not unlike many vintage EH pedals, but I am really happy with mine. I just used it this morning at Church. Really cool in conjunction with my Supro's tremolo for quieter atmospheric sections of the songs we did... Anyhow, it isn't nearly as complicated as some of the things out there are. Can't comment on the LPB part of it though as I did mine without it. I used my Rangemaster clone with it for some leads, kinda nice to tame the volume of the RM down as I find it to sound really good when cranked and usually have to use a volume pedal after it.
"I wish to be in the situation of non killing my balls bills, and life surprises." -Sinner
"Everyone gets their shorts in a twist over who polished the fenders. No one cares about who designed the engine..." -DougH

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

ALRIGHT! I completely removed the resistor and jumpered it, and I have now verified that this did the trick! Awesome!

n8b5150
Information

Post by n8b5150 »

I picked up one of these boards, more or less to troubleshoot the lpb-1 section. Here is the fix that worked for me:
DSC00809.jpg
I had to cut two traces. The point where the 1M, 100k and base meet is connected to the power plane at the 1M's leg. Cut the trace between the 1M and base, and the trace between the 100k and 1M, then add a jumper as shown in the pic. I haven't finished the phaser portion, but tested the lpb-1 and it is working nicely.

Feel free to share this info in any relevant threads.

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

First of all, we need to cut R52/R48 and R52/Q2 base traces, to prevent main voltage acces to Q2 and R48. After that we need to reconnect both to the right side of R52, wich can stay in place, as long as it need yet to be feeded with main voltage. Two little wires can do the job; one from "cutted" side of R48 and one from Q2 base, both connected to the right side of R52.
Posted 15/2/2011 :wink: Why you wait so long? :lol:

https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... &start=100

n8b5150
Information

Post by n8b5150 »

Duckman wrote:
First of all, we need to cut R52/R48 and R52/Q2 base traces, to prevent main voltage acces to Q2 and R48. After that we need to reconnect both to the right side of R52, wich can stay in place, as long as it need yet to be feeded with main voltage. Two little wires can do the job; one from "cutted" side of R48 and one from Q2 base, both connected to the right side of R52.
Posted 15/2/2011 :wink: Why you wait so long? :lol:

https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... &start=100

:slap: I didn't see that.

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

:hug:

bigmufffuzzwizz
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: 1973 Sunn Model T

Post by bigmufffuzzwizz »

I've been wanting to build one of these. I'm guessing it's this PCB right? --> http://www.digitaldestruct.com/BadStone.html

How do you guys like it?
Magic Pedals Home of The Shrine Fuzz!

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

bigmufffuzzwizz wrote:I've been wanting to build one of these. I'm guessing it's this PCB right? --> http://www.digitaldestruct.com/BadStone.html

How do you guys like it?
i LOVE it so far...