Group buy of EH Bad Stone Phase Shift boards

Looking for a particular component or hardware part and you just cannot find it? Got comoonents surplus and want to get rid of it? Post it all here... No sales of working pedals, put these in the 'Seen for sale' section please.
azrael
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by azrael »

Hm, alright. Didn't have time to finish up offboard wiring before work, but right now I've got the LPB hardwired. I don't think I can be arsed to scrounge around for a likely fairly price 3PDT toggle, which is why I asked, haha.

Now, the method of non TBing the LPB, I've never intentionally made a circuit non TB, haha, so just to check, I would have the output jack on the middle pole, the LPB circuit output on one of the outer poles, and both the output of the bad stone and the input of the LPB on one? Is that right? Hope I've explained it okay..haha.

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

azrael wrote:I don't think I can be arsed to scrounge around for a likely fairly price 3PDT toggle, which is why I asked, haha.
I've got a handful of 3PDT toggle switches - You can have one for cost+shipping: Where are you?
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

azrael
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by azrael »

^missed that post! Thank you for the offer, but I think I'll manage. :D

Anyway, it's assembled!
Doesn't pass signal though. Need to debug...

azrael
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by azrael »

Do we have voltage readings available? Still trying to debug this.

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

azrael wrote:Do we have voltage readings available? Still trying to debug this.
B Tremblays Voltages :thumbsup

IC1-4 TL072

1: 3.61 8: 7.6
2: 3.61 7: 3.61
3: 3.61 6: 3.61
4: 0.00 5: 3.61

1: 5.18 16:
2: 3.61 15: 3.61
3: 5.18 14: 5.18
4: 3.61 13:
5: 5.18 12: 3.61
6: 3.61 11: 5.18
7: 5.18 10: 3.61
8: 3.61 9: 5.18

azrael
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by azrael »

Okay, I need to write mine down, but I remember seeing one thing that was odd. I had around 8.5 volts coming from the battery, but I was seeing around 5-6 volts on pin 8 of the 4558s. The other pins, besides the grounded one, were around 2.5-28V. Ideas?

I was audioprobing, too, and I was able to get output from the Badstone output, before the LPB, but there was no phasing happening...

abfackeln
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by abfackeln »

Had the same problem in my prototype build... funky voltage readings on the TL072/4558's. Turned out I had a bad one - not sure if I blew it while testing, or if it was just bad from the get-go, but replacing each of them one at a time finally led me to the faulty one, and then it fired right up. I tested and troubleshooted for days before realizing this....

azrael
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by azrael »

Really? Damn...

I think I have some RC 4558s and some TL072s, no more JRCs, though. Any dual opamp would be fine though, right? I have some OPA2134s, too.

azrael
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by azrael »

Replaced all the 4558s with TL072s. No luck. :(

Gonna do some more in depth audio probing, need to trace where the signal drops...

h8mtv
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by h8mtv »

Okay, so C5 and C17 are left empty. Where the heck is C2?

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

h8mtv wrote:Okay, so C5 and C17 are left empty. Where the heck is C2?
Right hand side, next to R2, Up & Left a bit from the Input.

And any luck yet Azrael?

greenskull
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by greenskull »

Hello all!! I'm in the debugging right now, and have a question. Is the orientation of Q1 on the solder mask backwards compared to the schematic?
Well, maybe one more question:
With an exact 9volt power supply is it normal for that 100 ohm resistor after the power input to drop it down around 6.5 volts without affecting proper operation?
Thank you for this great project, looking forward to getting it up and running.
fuck smooth tone, fuck eric johnson - Seiche

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

greenskull wrote:Hello all!! I'm in the debugging right now, and have a question. Is the orientation of Q1 on the solder mask backwards compared to the schematic?
With an exact 9volt power supply is it normal for that 100 ohm resistor after the power input to drop it down around 6.5 volts without affecting proper operation?
That seems to be the norm. The working voltages seem to be 6.5 to 7.5 volts. 6.5 is a tad low, but I don't think enough to cause it not to work.

I don't think Q1 is reversed, or at least no one else has mentioned it.

EDIT: I had the same bad ompamp issue mentioned a few posts up. Found it, and replaced it, and now I have roughly 6.5 on all but the far right one (viewing board from the top), which sits at 5.5. Not sure now, mine doesn't work either, maybe that voltage is too low.

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

Barcode wrote:
greenskull wrote:Hello all!! I'm in the debugging right now, and have a question. Is the orientation of Q1 on the solder mask backwards compared to the schematic?
That seems to be the norm. The working voltages seem to be 6.5 to 7.5 volts. 6.5 is a tad low, but I don't think enough to cause it not to work.

I don't think Q1 is reversed, or at least no one else has mentioned it.

EDIT: I had the same bad ompamp issue mentioned a few posts up. Found it, and replaced it, and now I have roughly 6.5 on all but the far right one (viewing board from the top), which sits at 5.5. Not sure now, mine doesn't work either, maybe that voltage is too low.
IC 1? The Input OpAmp, it shouldn't be that low, you must have a problem round there, did you check that IC isn't blown too? It would explain the low voltages, 6.5 is a tad low as you say from a 9V source.

Regards Q1, The Top Pin, connecting to R43 is the Collector, compare it to your transistors Datasheet to see if you have it right. This Transistor must have enough gain to drive the LFO though if you've made any substitutions.

greenskull
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by greenskull »

Many thanks for the replies. Concerning Q1, I'm using a 2n5089. With the flatside facing left as on solder mask. On the data sheet for mine (Fairchild) it would top to bottom emitter, base and collector, so that would be a problem.
The voltage I'm getting directly after that 100 ohm power resister is around 6.5 volts, not just at the pins of the 4 IC's. I probably have a short there? The resistor is the correct value.
I'll keep at it and report back, thanks!

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

greenskull, just an FYI, a bad IC can suck down your voltage even at that spot, because pin 8 of the dual opamps is attached to that supply voltage. If one of them is screwed, it can sap the voltage down immensely.

Also, the 5089 and 5088 are identical pinout. They are actually two different gain classes of what is usually the same wafer material.

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

Barcode wrote:greenskull, just an FYI, a bad IC can suck down your voltage even at that spot, because pin 8 of the dual opamps is attached to that supply voltage. If one of them is screwed, it can sap the voltage down immensely.

Also, the 5089 and 5088 are identical pinout. They are actually two different gain classes of what is usually the same wafer material.
The 2N5088 & 89 do have identical pinouts with fairchild yes... but that doesn't change the fact that the top is the collector... maybe this has been your problem with both your Bad Stones barcode.

If you look at the schematic and follow the board, you can see the top is the collector and see the build on page one, he has the transistor facing the opposite way to the silkscreen, EHX swapped transistors at one point between the BC239 & 5088, the silkscreen follows the BC239.

Always read the schematic first :thumbsup

greenskull
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by greenskull »

I was going by the parts list on the site selling the board.... Q1 is listed as 2n5088 with no mention of the 239? I've got other problems with my build I'm sure, but at least that'll clear up any problems with LFO when I get there.
Thanks again and wish me luck!

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

greenskull wrote:I was going by the parts list on the site selling the board.... Q1 is listed as 2n5088 with no mention of the 239? I've got other problems with my build I'm sure, but at least that'll clear up any problems with LFO when I get there.
Thanks again and wish me luck!
Yes that is a bit confusing isn't it, to be honest, i've only just noticed it, I didn't design the PCB myself so just sorta worked off the schematic on mine, perhaps the parts list should be changed or i'll add a C,B,E note to the Overlay image.

Well, it may well work with that fix, ya never know! 6.5v is low but not necessarily not working.

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

Oh. My. God. I swear I checked that, but I must have been mistaken. Sure enough, flipped the transistor around and BOOM! Phasing all over the place. I did have some serious hum, but it must have been a cold solder joint because I went back over and remelted all the wiring connection solder joints and now the noise is gone. I still couldn't get the boost to work, but I don't think I'll need it. This thing sounds AMAZING.