Stockpiling - there has GOT to be a better way...

Looking for a particular component or hardware part and you just cannot find it? Got comoonents surplus and want to get rid of it? Post it all here... No sales of working pedals, put these in the 'Seen for sale' section please.
georgeb4
Information

Post by georgeb4 »

So far I have built just one pedal and bought only what I needed for that build. I have a few projects planned (analogguru boost, SHO, Gainster) and have just been buying 2+ times as much as I need of each component. What I'd really like to do is set up a prototyping board (a la madbean) and have a wide variety of commonly used components on hand so I can try out the schematics that pique my interest. So I guess I have two questions:

1) Is there a core list of common components that I should have on hand?
2) Where can I find deals on bulk quantities of them?

ProfessorSpaghetti
Information

Post by ProfessorSpaghetti »

I'm pretty new as well, but I can suggest a couple things.

First, continue buying 2+ of what you need, I've done this for a few months and have amassed a good collection of parts and seldom need to order easy-to-find components.

Second, I can recommend a couple of online sellers that have good prices in bulk. One is on eBay, Ron at "HdBElectronics" https://stores.ebay.com/HdB-Electronics ... esstQQtZkm
he sells 100 resistors for a dollar in some harder to find values... whenever I need a certain value I just buy a hundred from Ron and I'm set for basically forever. You can really stock up here.

Also, some people gripe about Futurlec, but I've ordered from them a number of times and, aside from slow shipping from Thailand, I've never had a problem. Check out their bulk packages, you can spend $30 and be good and set for a while. http://www.futurlec.com/ValuePacks.shtml

anyway, hope this helps!

<Mark

frank.clarke
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by frank.clarke »

It depends on how much your time is worth. The bags with a selection of common resistor values are overpriced (Futurlec looks good, thanks), but cheaper than placing a mail order for the couple you don't have. If you live across the street from the store, one at a time is fine. Otherwise buy a range of resistors and caps, J201's BS170's, bipolar trannies (not that there's anything wrong with that), some TL072's and go for it. Plus switches, pots, enclosures, jack sockets, oh dear now it gets expensive :).

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

If you're getting started, order the valuepacks from Futurlec, wherever you are. Buying just the parts you need is really expensive if you see yourself building another one in the near future.

If you buy the more expensive value packs at Banzaieffects.com, you will see they are the same, just more expensive.

When shopping there, check the prices on the minipots: $0.50/pcs, $0.90 for dual gang pots. Jfets and mofets are kind of expensive there, but most bipolar stuff is quite cheap. PT2399 delay chips at $1.5, photocells for $0.25, ...

For fets, I get them on ebay: here you can buy 100 MPF102s for $9, which means $0,09/pcs: MPF102-N-Channel-JFET-RF-Amplifier-Qty-100

The last time I bought this jfet I paid $5,99/100pcs

Compare either to what you pay at SB:
Transistors - FETs and MOSFETs
Transistor FET MPF102
A favorite for simple boosts
PRICE: $0.40 Shipping Wt. 0.01 oz
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

magikker
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by magikker »

I'm digging through mouser right now to find the common parts for the 10 or so next projects I've got on my plate... They've got a project management feature that would us to post Bill's of materials for projects which other people can just import. It really makes ordering a breeze. Mouser's cheap too..

If/when I get a list of common parts together I can post that bill of materials...