WHERE TO BUY: D*A*M* Pedal parts?

Looking for a particular component or hardware part and you just cannot find it? Got comoonents surplus and want to get rid of it? Post it all here... No sales of working pedals, put these in the 'Seen for sale' section please.
mike_EME
Information

Post by mike_EME »

I'm looking for some parts that are commonly found in D*A*M* pedals...
Does anyone have a part number or a website I can buy it from?
It's sometimes impossible to browse through MOUSER or DIGIKEY for sheer size alone.
I'd love to know the part numbers.

i.e.

1) the audio jacks *(marshall style cliff jacks) --- shorting and non shorting
2) the rotary multi pole switches
3) the type of electrolytic capacitors. *I believe BC Components or sprague?
4) the SHIELDED wire (i.e. grey / two conductor wire)
5) the colored wire --- does he use 22 AWG vs. 24 AWG stranded wires?
6) the trim pots ---- black square trim pots --- what brand?

Thanks --- any advice or links or for sale... trade.. etc.. appreciated.

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

mike_EME wrote:1) the audio jacks *(marshall style cliff jacks) --- shorting and non shorting
Look for Neutrik ones. Any other good ones will do.
mike_EME wrote:3) the type of electrolytic capacitors. *I believe BC Components or sprague?
Look for Philips axial ones. Ebay? Any other good axials will do.
mike_EME wrote:6) the trim pots ---- black square trim pots --- what brand?
These are Iskra 22k ones. I had some in my Laney LC15, and these are also in some Marshalls apparently. Any other good ones (Piher?) will do too.

Any wire will do too. Do you want your clone to be THAT accurate? :roll:
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

Dr Tony Balls
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Sunn Model T

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

1) the audio jacks *(marshall style cliff jacks) --- shorting and non shorting Cliff or Neutrik ones, plenty available at Mouser
2) the rotary multi pole switches Alpha makes em. Mouser sells em, so does PPP and small bear
3) the type of electrolytic capacitors. *I believe BC Components or sprague? Yup, BC. Mouser has em
4) the SHIELDED wire (i.e. grey / two conductor wire) no clue
5) the colored wire --- does he use 22 AWG vs. 24 AWG stranded wires? no clue
6) the trim pots ---- black square trim pots --- what brand? Iskra, and I think theyre hard to find in the US

mike_EME
Information

Post by mike_EME »

lolbou wrote: Any wire will do too. Do you want your clone to be THAT accurate? :roll:

I just like the way his wire looks.. it seems to look nicer than my multi-colored wires... and I need to restock on wire anyway

Max Cohen
Breadboard Brother
Information
Completed builds: Ikea Dining Table

Post by Max Cohen »

Lots of DAM-alike parts can be scored here http://www.e-amptone.com/
Welcome to freestompboxes.org
We can help... But we won't ;-)

Turretboard.org now with forum
TB.org on Facebook

agoldoor
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by agoldoor »

I hate to be the guy who says this, but I figured no one else did, so I wanted to just mention it...

...I absolutely welcome all newcomers to the boards, but I really sincerely hope that mike_EME is not asking all of these questions in order to create a sketchy DAM clone to try and resell as DAM. This has occurred in the recent past, and so when I saw this post from a brand new user who only joined to create this thread to ask about DAM-specific supplies, it definitely rings alarm bells for me...

Alright, nuf said, carry on.

mike_EME
Information

Post by mike_EME »

agoldoor wrote:I hate to be the guy who says this, but I figured no one else did, so I wanted to just mention it...

...I absolutely welcome all newcomers to the boards, but I really sincerely hope that mike_EME is not asking all of these questions in order to create a sketchy DAM clone to try and resell as DAM. This has occurred in the recent past, and so when I saw this post from a brand new user who only joined to create this thread to ask about DAM-specific supplies, it definitely rings alarm bells for me...

Alright, nuf said, carry on.

I've been a member of this site for years. I always read it; I never usually post stuff, because I'm busy.
But in response to you. NO! first of all D*A*M* pedals are all clones of vintage fuzz boxes anyway. I wasn't even planning on making a D*A*M* circuit!
I'm not making a D*A*M* clone ---haha. NO DAMN CLONE!. I just want to incorporate some D*A*M* Mojo into all my future pedal designs..
I admire the simple, and yet clean looking pedals he makes, and I like using the highest quality jacks and components (or at least, most MOJO components for passives)

Besides.. I'd never figure out how to route that freaking 9V battery compartment anyways

FOR THE REST OF YOU GUYS/GALS

Thank you! :thumbsup

mike_EME
Information

Post by mike_EME »

Keep em coming? :oops:

~arph
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by ~arph »

mike_EME wrote:
agoldoor wrote: all D*A*M* pedals are all clones of vintage fuzz boxes anyway.
Exactly! :D
In the quiet words of the virgin Mary: "Come again?"

agoldoor
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by agoldoor »

Yeah, I'm not going to get into any debate of what DAM pedals are or aren't, and I wasn't trying to start a fight.

I just really felt that it had to be said, and I'm sure you can appreciate how it might have appeared to be a fishy post.

I myself have learned SO MUCH from studying how DAM (and other high-quality builders like Creepy Fingers, John Lyons, Jerms, Pigdog, Jimmy Behan) did things, so I totally understand the legitimate curiosity and interest in having the best parts. But again, I think its clear why I posted.

~arph
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by ~arph »

Yes it's clear. Wouldn't be the first time.
In the quiet words of the virgin Mary: "Come again?"

Pruttelherrie
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Pruttelherrie »

mike_EME wrote: Besides.. I'd never figure out how to route that freaking 9V battery compartment anyways

Dril a couple of holes, file file file file file file file until your fingers are sore.

Been there, done that :D

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

Pruttelherrie wrote:
mike_EME wrote: Besides.. I'd never figure out how to route that freaking 9V battery compartment anyways

Dril a couple of holes, file file file file file file file until your fingers are sore.

Been there, done that :D
Dremel, meet cutting disk :thumbsup

Then just a touch up file.

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

Scruffie wrote:Dremel, meet cutting disk :thumbsup

Then just a touch up file.
I'll second that. Really easy with this tool.
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

mike_EME
Information

Post by mike_EME »

I feel like 9v battery box is kind of unnecessary --- it'd be essential for D*A*M* purists, but --- like I said..
I don't need an exact clone. I just like the parts he uses.. I guess it is cool, but it seems like a lot of work..
I guess anyone that'd go through the trouble of making an exact D*A*M* clone --- to pawn on ebay as an original,
would've spent alot of money, time, and energy and headaches cloning it exactly anyway.. lol it's probably worth the 400$
lol. if you went through the nightmare of using the dremel mandrel to bore out a 9V battery compartment.. you prob make
a decent clone anyways.. lol..

BESIDES -- I'm not trying to justify those people who pawn off fake clones for purposes of tricking people into believing they are
a brand name or whatever.. BUT ---- It's my observation that anyone who thinks they can make a perfect and believable D*A*M*
clone and flip a profit for it --- *without having to go through the pain of building and perfecting a clone to a believable fake --- is clearly either
A) a hopelessly optimistic NOOB! who's probably going to spend lots of money and time to find it's not worth it.
B) probably worthy of selling their pedal for 400$ --- because it's actually decent.

:horsey: ONWARD DON QUIXOTE!!! WINDMILL ATTACK!!

The one thing I need the most that no one has mentioned yet is the grey shielded two conductor wires..
I've seen other people on this site with pedal builds using the same wire. I don't know where they get it from!

jreeves47
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jreeves47 »

Buy the dam pedals and salvage what you need

mike_EME
Information

Post by mike_EME »

jreeves47 wrote:Buy the dam pedals and salvage what you need
ha. seems like cheaper option by this point. lol.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

mike_EME wrote:I've seen other people on this site with pedal builds using the same wire. I don't know where they get it from!
I think I may have made a couple pedals with it.. all my wire is scored ex old equipment. primarily old CRT screens, but also some photocopiers and other kinds of legacy electronics hardware so couldn't tell you where I got mine from sorry.
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

johnnyg
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by johnnyg »

I get the impression some DAM parts are ordered from RS: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/ (e.g. I remember seeing jack sockets with gold plated contacts there... these things: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/jack-trs- ... s/0477573/)

I've never used RS in the end though (it's more a place for businesses etc to place bulk orders I get the impression - you have to add VAT to the prices they show I think... if you're in Europe).

You can get the same shielded cable from Bob's Bitsbox here in the UK; also that type of trimmer I'm sure and the inexpensive Alpha pots.

You can actually get fancier parts for your own builds if you want more mojo (vishay spectrol trimmers for instance). You don't have to slavishly copy the DAM micro-enterprise, which builds to a cost and to make a profit after all.

It's really not challenging to cut a hole for the Bulgin 9v boxes by the way - you mark out your rectangle drill a hole in each corner, then use a dremmel (or hacksaw if you're old school). You can tidy up the hole or enlarge it with a file - aluminium is soft and very easy to shape in no time with a file. The rectangular hole does not have to be perfect as the box covers the cutting - just don't make it too big. But you lose a lot of space inside your enclosure - that's the main issue with fitting them.
Yet to break through the Space Charge

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: HIWATT motherfucker!

Post by phibes »

I've bought that gray shielded wire from ampmaker before. It's real nice stuff.
GuitarlCarl - "TGP = The Gear Polishers"

Image Ken