Making your own Capacitors

Looking for a particular component or hardware part and you just cannot find it? Got comoonents surplus and want to get rid of it? Post it all here... No sales of working pedals, put these in the 'Seen for sale' section please.
GuyB
Information

Post by GuyB »

I'm just wondering if any members have made their own Capacitors, especially signal path paper in oil types, I know film caps aren't expensive, but it might be interesting to make my own. thanks :D

FiveseveN
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by FiveseveN »

Do gimmicks count? I made some Leyden jars once.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. (Charles Darwin)

Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vyse BBQ Blue

Post by Lucifer »

I had to make a capacitor or two on my university course.

It’s not easy, believe me, but it can be done.

The ones we made in class weren’t as close in value as the theory suggested, plus they were 'unsealed' and therefore prone to moisture ingress and instability. And trying to get caps as compact - and uniform in size - as what you can buy, was nigh on impossible.

Like I said - yes, it’s possible to ‘roll your own’ - but - unless your a real masochist - why would you want to ?
”Sex is great - but you can’t beat the real thing !” - The Wanker’s Handbook

FiveseveN
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by FiveseveN »

Lucifer wrote:why would you want to ?
Why, for the toanz, of course. I guess the next best thing is this: http://studiozey.com/woodencapacitor/index.html
significant, across-the-board improvement in the sound
Well, I'm sold!
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. (Charles Darwin)

Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vyse BBQ Blue

Post by Lucifer »

Thanks, FiveseveN

I’m still laughing my socks off !! That’s the funniest thing I’ve read in years.

Pedals are getting smaller every day - then you suddenly bung in one of these wooden monsters - and there’s no room for anything else !

I know ! Let’s build all the components right into the pedalboard (must be wood, of course) - and then we could do away with the actual pedals themselves - just have one great big wooden circuit board.

Polished mahogany - with a flamed maple cap for improved top end - and rosewood footswitches for a smoother sound . . . and . . . and . . .

I’ve got to go to bed now (UK time) - my sides are aching.

Thanks again for such a great laugh. :twisted:
”Sex is great - but you can’t beat the real thing !” - The Wanker’s Handbook

induction
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by induction »

FiveseveN wrote:
Lucifer wrote:why would you want to ?
Why, for the toanz, of course. I guess the next best thing is this: http://studiozey.com/woodencapacitor/index.html
significant, across-the-board improvement in the sound
Well, I'm sold!
If they sound that good in the power supply, just imagine how awesome they would be in the actual signal path.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

For me,I can't see how putting the insides of an Electrolytic cap into a wooden case can make the sound of the cap better, unless you lose some of the electrolyte in the process (more than likely the electrolyte would dry-up), but then the capacitance value would change and the ESR of the cap would go through the roof........ :scratch:
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

There was a link to a youtube video some years ago on FSB of a guy making a guitar, he made almost everything including a PIO capacitor.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

Did I ever mention my reverse wound diodes? :secret:
Still trying to track down a decent winder. :ROFL
There was my barbed wire canoe but found myself up the creek without a paddle cause no one would back my ideas. [smilie=wine.gif]
Phil.

induction
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by induction »

DrNomis wrote:For me,I can't see how putting the insides of an Electrolytic cap into a wooden case can make the sound of the cap better, unless you lose some of the electrolyte in the process (more than likely the electrolyte would dry-up), but then the capacitance value would change and the ESR of the cap would go through the roof........ :scratch:
Have you never heard of 'tone wood'? :wink:

Try encasing your resistors in ebony for increased tone realism and space definition. But only in the power supply. That's where tone really comes from.

At least it's slightly less stupid than this.

:scratch:

OK, maybe it isn't.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

induction wrote:
DrNomis wrote:For me,I can't see how putting the insides of an Electrolytic cap into a wooden case can make the sound of the cap better, unless you lose some of the electrolyte in the process (more than likely the electrolyte would dry-up), but then the capacitance value would change and the ESR of the cap would go through the roof........ :scratch:
Have you never heard of 'tone wood'? :wink:

Try encasing your resistors in ebony for increased tone realism and space definition. But only in the power supply. That's where tone really comes from.

At least it's slightly less stupid than this.

:scratch:

OK, maybe it isn't.

I checked out that link to those pebbles in a plastic bag, and I have to say my reaction was this....... :shock: .....followed by...... :scratch: ......and....... :slap:

The thing is, you most certainly can make your own capacitors, but there's some maths involved if you want to make caps of specific values....... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

While you're at it, why not build a giant 555 timer chip... http://shop.evilmadscientist.com/produc ... itlist/652