Whammy WH1 rotary selector

Looking for a particular component or hardware part and you just cannot find it? Got comoonents surplus and want to get rid of it? Post it all here... No sales of working pedals, put these in the 'Seen for sale' section please.
Fastnet
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Old AC30's
Completed builds: Run Off Groove Splitter Blend
Kay Fuzztone
Si Fuzzface

Post by Fastnet »

Hi,

Trying to source a replacement rotary selector for my WH1. Looking to order from mouser as I have an account with them and have narrowed my search to this component www.mouser.com/ds/2/96/288-2255.pdf] but struggling with two sections of the part code...

Working through the ordering info I've come to this code with two ? ?... 2-288xca0k??a2
The C refers to the bushing length of the pot and could theoretically be either B C or D.
The A0 refers to the shaft length and could also be A5 and still be acceptable without looking out of place I hope.
K is for the shaft type (knurled and slotted) but after this is where I'm unsure what to specify...

"Combination Resolution" I think should be prefix "16" as I believe its a 4 bit encoder. Visual assumption I stress as the original encoder has six tags and from the technical diagram the 6 tag part is the only 4 bit version available. Another nod to the prefix "16" is that the "4 bit encoder code" is only available in the "16" combination.
"Encoder Code" is where I'm truly stuck... Is it prefix 2 for "4 bit Grey" or prefix 3 for "4 bit hexadecimal"?

So to recap, I think I can lose one of the question marks giving me this partial part code of "2-288xca0k16?a2"

Any help would be much appreciated as I'd love to get this back up and running... or if anyone has replaced this part before....!!
Apologies to the Mods if this is in the wrong section...
Cheers,

J.
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley
or...
"Pog mo thoin!"

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

I found a couple of relevant threads over on DIY Stomp Boxes.

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/ ... c=108860.0
https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/ ... ic=84826.0

Both threads seem to say that they got it working with a Line6 encoder, but the positions didn't line up with the ones on the WH-1.
If you end up getting the part from Mouser, could you report back and let us know what your findings are?

Here is a URL they mention for the Line6 encoder:
http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/222994- ... 24-12-0025

Fastnet
Breadboard Brother
Information
Kay Fuzztone
Si Fuzzface

Post by Fastnet »

Hi Cheezor,
Thanks for reminding me where I found the cts part info... completely forgotten where I stumbled upon it before as this has been gathering dust for 5 months odd now so thanks again...
So, after an email exchange with digitech that's been as fruitful as everyone else's, I can confirm that I'm in possession of the schematic, that it's 4 bit greyscale and that's about all...
They don't hold any stock/spare parts for the WH1 nor can/will they offer any info on a replacement except that the later versions of the whammy do not share parts and therfore you can't use an encoder from any of these for the WH1.
Looking at that Line6 pot I imagine that it's a voyage of discovery fitting it correctly. Think I'll check ebay for a dud and use the parts parts but I imaging they don't come up often...
That said, with all the hassle of trying to maintain a pedal that's impossible to source spare parts for I might just sell it for parts and use the cash for a Mk V and be done with it unless anyone has an encoder they're willing to sell?

Any info greatly appreciated.
Cheers,

Jason.
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley
or...
"Pog mo thoin!"

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

Maybe I'm totally ignorant, but it seems like a cool project for one of the tiny Arduino boards. Get the Line6 part or something similar and remap the output to match what the WH-1 is looking for so they are all in order. It might be way more trouble than it is worth, but it seems like this is a common issue with WH-1's and is probably going to become more common as time goes on. Would be nice to have a better fix than the Line6 part.

mr coffee
Information

Post by mr coffee »

Hey Fastnet,
The Electronic Goldmine are selling 4-bit 16 position rotary encoders. I've never seen the insides of a WH-1, so I can't comment on the pinout. Post a pic and I can compare it to the one I got from EG.

mr coffee

Fastnet
Breadboard Brother
Information
Kay Fuzztone
Si Fuzzface

Post by Fastnet »

Mr Coffee,

Fuc# me, that's amazing!!

Aside from the shaft its identical... hope they deliver to the UK but rest assured I'll order, fit and post with the results as soon as I get the chance...
If it works Electronic Goldmine probably won't have stocks for long as anyone with a WH1 will need this sooner or later...

Thank you thank you thank you...
or...
"Pog mo thoin!"

Fastnet
Breadboard Brother
Information
Kay Fuzztone
Si Fuzzface

Post by Fastnet »

Forgot to say... re pic, check the datasheet of the CTS part in my first post (that Cheezor reminded me came from DIY Stomp...)
Identical except for the shaft... I hope!
or...
"Pog mo thoin!"

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

Were you able to confirm the fit and functionality of this part in your WH-1?

Fastnet
Breadboard Brother
Information
Kay Fuzztone
Si Fuzzface

Post by Fastnet »

Haven't received the parts yet...
$50 shipping from the US so a friend of a friend is ordering and posting back to the UK for me... add to this the $10 minimum order, I'll have 9 available for anyone in the same predicament!

Keep you posted.
or...
"Pog mo thoin!"

Fastnet
Breadboard Brother
Information
Kay Fuzztone
Si Fuzzface

Post by Fastnet »

Dear all!
Just fitted the new encoder and it works with all the effected positions aligning perfectly to the script on the casing.
Gave myself a laugh by not connecting it properly on the pedaboard with the result, deafening silence only to then realise that it wasn't in the signal chain... :slap:

So, to recap...
The rotary encoders for sale at Electronic Goldmine work as a direct replacement in an original WH-1.

After an hour odd searching ebay I also found the same encoder for sale individually but the cost from the US was around $25 with p&p to the UK.
I now have 9 spare encoders available if anyone has a dead or dying WH-1 gathering dust. PM me and lets bring it back to life.

I guess the test of how valuable a pedal becomes is how much you miss it when it's not working. I'm so very happy to have this back up and running and hopefully I'll have another 20 odd years out of it before it dies again.
Finally, thanks must also go to this WONDERFUL place as without Mr. Coffee and Cheezor my WH-1 would be a very useful paperweight!
:hug: :hug:
or...
"Pog mo thoin!"

MD32
Information

Post by MD32 »

Hello Fastnet, I've tried to PM you about this but the forum won't let me send it! Probably because I'm a newbie! I'd definitely like to purchase 2 of these encoders if you do indeed still have any, as I too have a Whammy WH1 in need of repair. Let me know if you can help? Cheers :D

Fastnet
Breadboard Brother
Information
Kay Fuzztone
Si Fuzzface

Post by Fastnet »

Hi MD32,

No problem you're the first!
Just PM'D you.

J.
or...
"Pog mo thoin!"

Ga60r
Information

Post by Ga60r »

Hi everybody,

I just want to tell you guys how glad I am to find this topic and within that the right person. I had the same problem with my WH1. I've installed one of the encoders of "Fastnet" Jason and now it works again! :)

Many thanks again Jason!

G

Fastnet
Breadboard Brother
Information
Kay Fuzztone
Si Fuzzface

Post by Fastnet »

My pleasure! Great to give a new lease of life to an old box of tricks!
or...
"Pog mo thoin!"

AdrianM
Information

Post by AdrianM »

Hey fastnet I’ve pm’d you about that encoder.
It looks like mine start doing weird things.

Thanks