TL071 Substitutes

Looking for a particular component or hardware part and you just cannot find it? Got comoonents surplus and want to get rid of it? Post it all here... No sales of working pedals, put these in the 'Seen for sale' section please.
Jim9guitars
Information

Post by Jim9guitars »

I've been out of the loop since the late 80's on this stuff, I'm having a hard time sourcing parts. Can a TL072 work as a direct substitute for a TL071? Failing that, does anyone know where I can order either one, preferably from a North American supplier(I live in Canada). As I gradually re-enter the DIY world I'm really amazed at how hard it is to find parts locally, and in some cases mail order. My current project is the simple buffer posted here, I want to see if I can work it into a multi effects unit I started building in the 80's. It centers around Craig Andertons "Tube Sound Fuzz" from his book "Electronic Projects For Musicians". I still have a working build of this but I can't find parts for most of the projects in this book now.

tonyharker
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by tonyharker »

A TL071 contains only one op-amp whereas a TL072 contains two. The pin outs are different look at the datasheet.

blackbunny
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender Blackface
Completed builds: Lots of mods to lots of pedals

Post by blackbunny »

The "Tube Sound Fuzz" uses a CD4049 CMOS Hex Inverter IC, which is not related to the TL071 or TL072 at all and cannot be substituted under any circumstances.
Most other Craig Anderton projects use a Raytheon RC4739 or XR4739 dual op amp IC, or a RC4136 quad op amp IC, all of which are now hard to find. These ICs have unusual pinouts, but you can substitute any common dual (4558, LM833, TL072, 5532) or quad (TL074, LF347, LM324) op amp in those circuits if you pay careful attention to the pinouts.
I built a few projects from Craig Anderton's book in the late 70's and early 80's and I still use the "Practice Playalong" and "Spluffer" sometimes.

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Sourcing electronics locally has become very hard over the last 20 years. There's too little income to be made from selling piece by piece electronics in a store.

However, since we have internet there's a multitude of options online. May I suggest Smallbear to the topicstarter since he wants to shop in the Americas.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall
Completed builds: Far to many to afford the enclosures for them all. :)

Post by Ice-9 »

Jim9 , there are millions of them on ebay, but if you prefer Smallbear or Mouser should be able to sort you out. :thumbsup
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?