Are these Fake? (NKT275)

Looking for a particular component or hardware part and you just cannot find it? Got comoonents surplus and want to get rid of it? Post it all here... No sales of working pedals, put these in the 'Seen for sale' section please.
BernardBlack
Information
my favorite amplifier: magnatone and fender
Completed builds: fuzz face and mostly repairs. (amps included)

Post by BernardBlack »

I recently came upon a brick and mortar electronics store and hidden in a box in a the surplus section was this NKT275.

The case matches a few trannies that I seen from original Fuzz Faces but the label isn't the same kind. I haven't built the geofx circuit to test them but does anyone have an info on these?
Attachments
nkt27525.jpg
nkt27515.jpg

tonyharker
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by tonyharker »

Yes they may be. The writing should be the other way round and in 2 lines, NKT in one and 275 in the other. There should also be a red dot next to the collector lead. Google NKT275 and you'll see what I mean. However, they may well fit the 275 parameters. If they are germanium they could well work. Other than Newmarket Transistors themselves many other manufacturers made similar transistors which if they met the NKT specs, would be recoded and sold as equivalents. Philips/Mullard comes to mind. I know they did. Beware the ones with a flanged base they were usually remarked AC128s

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Eeehrm..

Wasn't it the other way around? That many parts from various manufacturers were rebadged to a NKT label and sold as "replacements"?
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

BernardBlack
Information
my favorite amplifier: magnatone and fender
Completed builds: fuzz face and mostly repairs. (amps included)

Post by BernardBlack »

Well, who knows?

I did find some examples with the label across the transistors. They belong to the early 90's reissues.
Attachments
JH-2SClassicFuzzTransistors.jpg
JH-2SClassicFuzzTransistors.jpg (82.08 KiB) Viewed 2004 times
129C79E9-CE17-4153-AD11-3B0CC3A2E8CD_zps2jg95ssf.jpg

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Electric Warrior »

tonyharker wrote:The writing should be the other way round and in 2 lines, NKT in one and 275 in the other. There should also be a red dot next to the collector lead.
There are at least three different styles that were used in vintage Fuzz Faces. While the more common types were labled length wise, this variant is also period correct:
nkt.png
nkt.png (123.99 KiB) Viewed 1998 times
Other variants, not used in vintage Fuzz Faces, had white dots or no dots at all.

I do agree about the transistor in the original poster's pic, though. It's probably not a newmarket made part.