slim i/o jacks

Looking for a particular component or hardware part and you just cannot find it? Got comoonents surplus and want to get rid of it? Post it all here... No sales of working pedals, put these in the 'Seen for sale' section please.
rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

gidday there all.
i've started putting pedals into 1590b enclosures and have kinda hit a snag.
I like my pedals to have all the i/o/dc at the top end so the cables can loop and I can snugly line the pedals up beside each other with no gaps.
the end of the 1590b does not leave a lot of room for 2X phono jacks and a dc jack :x .
so does anyone know which are the 'thinnest' jacks (at a reasonable price) to use?
anyone tried these?
http://nz.farnell.com/1280751/connector ... l-psg01499
if so, are they thinner than say, these?
http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storef ... View/P1261

also - anyone designed a template for drilling to fit the 3 plugs on the end of the 1590b?
thanks in advance
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

Post by earthtonesaudio »

1/8" headphone jacks?

Sorry, that's probably not very helpful... :roll:
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.

Rocket Roll
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Rocket Roll »

rocklander wrote:anyone tried these?
http://nz.farnell.com/1280751/connector ... l-psg01499
if so, are they thinner than say, these?
http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storef ... View/P1261
Yes they are thinner (the ones on the first link are thinner than the ones on the second link) but they are longer than most jacks. They're designed for cable montage... I'd say your standard Switchcraft jack would be optimal choice, as it always is - http://www.banzaieffects.com/Switchcraf ... 17592.html

ImageImage

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

Rocket Roll wrote: Yes they are thinner (the ones on the first link are thinner than the ones on the second link) but they are longer than most jacks. They're designed for cable montage... I'd say your standard Switchcraft jack would be optimal choice, as it always is - http://www.banzaieffects.com/Switchcraf ... 17592.html

ImageImage
so you've had them fit in the end of a 1590b with the DC socket without being too crowded?
this is how I set mine..

Rocket Roll
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Rocket Roll »

rocklander wrote: so you've had them fit in the end of a 1590b with the DC socket without being too crowded?
Not personally, no. :) But they will let you have more space than those open jacks, and that's speaking from experience. Once you go Switchcraft (or Lumberg, or whichever jack of that closed rectangle type), you never go back to open jacks - it's much easier to mount potentiometers above (ie. under) them, and - in short - if you've managed to fit both DC jack and two open jacks on that side of a 1590B, you will most definitely manage to fit two Switchcrafts and a DC jack in the same place, with room to spare.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

good to know.. I'll have a crack then. thanks

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

took my enclosure to the local store with the square swhtichcraft jacks and eyeballed the setup. I am pretty confident it wont fit. although the square ones may be slightly thinner diameter at their narrowest point, the squared edges seem wider and the way I managed to fit the DC jack in there too was because I placed them at an angle (like the olympic rings - see attached pic - the blue lines would be the squared edges)

[edit] ignore me.. I see now that there's a variety of the squared ones and the store I was in only has the fatter ones :slap: [/edit]
Attachments
overlap.jpg
overlap.jpg (6.3 KiB) Viewed 2408 times

Rocket Roll
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Rocket Roll »

Maybe you could just bypass the whole problem with a smaller DC jack? Switchcraft has an elegant solution:

ImageImage

That DC jack on the picture is your standard metal DC jack - if you mount it directly on the box, the pedal simply won't work, right? Well, that encircled shoulder washer (which isolates the DC jack) is also from the Switchcraft's catalogue & costs next to nothing (I believe 500 pcs. are somewhere in neighborhood of 5 euros or something like that). And that standard metal DC jack is about two times smaller than that plastic Lumberg jack.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

now that's nice looking :applause:

any idea of an actual sourcing store?

Rocket Roll
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Rocket Roll »

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

thanks for that.. have ordered some through farnell - their shipping charges are killer, but it's just an experiment for now anyway..
could be the way I do all my dc jacks from now on though if this works :D :thumbsup

Silent Fly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Silent Fly »

rocklander wrote:thanks for that.. have ordered some through farnell - their shipping charges are killer, but it's just an experiment for now anyway..
could be the way I do all my dc jacks from now on though if this works :D :thumbsup
I look forward to hear if it works.
ImageImage

Do you have the Farnell code?

Thanks,
SF
"Remember - all I am offering is the truth, nothing more". Morpheus

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

their part number was "2006479"
I searched their site for "S4263".
I'll be sure to let you know if it's actually what I hope it is :lol:

Silent Fly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Silent Fly »

rocklander wrote:their part number was "2006479"
Thanks rocklander,

I checked on the Farnell-uk web site but unfortunately it an "US Stock: Delivery Charge: £15.95 once per order". [smilie=a_holycrap.gif]

I may be wrong but I have the feeling that you also need a P2442 (farnell code 2006443).

Keep us posted.
"Remember - all I am offering is the truth, nothing more". Morpheus

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

Silent Fly wrote:
rocklander wrote:their part number was "2006479"
Thanks rocklander,

I checked on the Farnell-uk web site but unfortunately it an "US Stock: Delivery Charge: £15.95 once per order". [smilie=a_holycrap.gif]

I may be wrong but I have the feeling that you also need a P2442 (farnell code 2006443).

Keep us posted.
good god that is extortionate. mine is also ex USA but they assured me the charge would be NZ$10 only (I think that's about 22p isn't it? :wink: ).

they better freaking not charge me that kinda money!

maybe if you tried ordering from farnell.co.nz?

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

update:
well they've arrived (in fariness a week or so ago).
I've yet to try putting them into an pedal, but think it may be a bit of a lost cause.
the washers would need to be on both sides of the metal.. that's no problem as such (I bought enough) but when I do the thread b-a-r-e-l-y has enough length to actually put the nut on... I suspect as soon as I get the width of the enclosure body in there it will not fit at all :x .
I will try it, but I'm less than hopeful... perhaps I could try to make the enclosure wall thinner with some dainty drilling, but man... bit of a hassle... :(

Rocket Roll
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Rocket Roll »

Argh :( What about filing the washers down a bit?

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

good idea.. will see if there's enough to them to manage that, but I think it'd be pretty optimistic... it's really the fact that the shaft is just not that long in the first place.