9 volts.......

Looking for a particular component or hardware part and you just cannot find it? Got comoonents surplus and want to get rid of it? Post it all here... No sales of working pedals, put these in the 'Seen for sale' section please.
bumblebee
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: ‘65 Twin Reverb
Completed builds: Fuzz & Preamps mostly.

Post by bumblebee »

I dunno about you guys but i use em in all my effects cause theY just seem to last for ever and are better than a heap of cords and adapters for me. So.........instead of buying AUD$4ea Duracell's i found a supplier of some excellent heavy duty batteries, 20 for AUD$15.30, they aren't alkaline but i've found heavy duty is just as good in fuzz and distortion,chorus etc is best with alkaline tho.
there the "HI-WATT" brand btw.

anyways,just happy i found some cheap 9volts cause the mark up on batteries is ridiculous.

Oh,i bought 2 boxes!

:D

:roll:

briggs
Tube Twister
Information
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....

Post by briggs »

I just built myself a decent power supply... I can't be bothered with unscrewing everything every few weeks... Lazy me 8)

I am Klon.

bumblebee
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by bumblebee »

few weeks?

a battery lasts me 6months in my sansamp,and well over a year in a fuzz.
daily use,around 3 hours so wtf?

:shock:

grolschie
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by grolschie »

PSU all the way for me too. I am powering 8 pedals off a single Boss PSA-240. Only 200ma, so I figure that I have about 15ma to spare. ;-)

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

A link would be great bumblebee! But not going to order in Australia from Europe. Here Duracell's even more expensive.

Did try to recharge alkaline's when some fool said they lasted even longer after recharging, which is clear scientific nonsense. You can recharge alkalines, but with limited success and less so every time you recharge.

And how about pollution? :lol:
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

bumblebee
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by bumblebee »

No link, its a local surplus store!

:cry:

pollution? well.............................mmmm,i wont think about that.

snail
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by snail »

bumblebee is correct.
i'm also a user of these cheapo batteryes, the HM brand, blue and white cover, "general transistor radio" it says... whao, that's "use on your fuzz" for me :D
And they are really cheap, I buy a pack of 20 for 6U$ dollars, but this is bought on the street market, and I'm pretty sure these are smugled from China or other asian manufacturer, so no links availiable, sorry!

cheers

snail

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Sorry, but if you don´t like to use an adapter:
Before I would buy a Duracell-battery, I would buy one of these rechargeable akkus for the same amount of money:

http://www.yatego.com/,2,1,q,9v,akku?si ... b83fdcb4c4

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

bumblebee
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by bumblebee »

AG, i never had much luck with rechargeables, they dont seem to have the grunt regular batteries do and seem to run out in hours.

Maybe theres some that dont but i think i can handle US 63 cents per pedal once or twice a year. :roll:

If ya do know of some rechargeables that last as long as a regular heavy duty between recharges i'd be interested tho!

markm
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by markm »

I am not an adapter guy either.
9 Volts for me with the exception of say my analog delays....Batteries don't last long in those.
Join together with the "Banned"!

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

I use batteries when I running a couple pedals, but if I'm running a whole pedalboard worth of stuff, then I break out the AC adapter so I don't have to spend a fortune putting batteries in 10 to 15 different boxes.
I only regularly use one pedal live, so batteries are no big deal and usually last at least half a year with regular use.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

This is my chance to beat all the booteekers....
Only my pedals will have the real-mojo-sound from the 60´s - with this "transistor energizer" (no, not orgon):

https://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Late-60s-9 ... dZViewItem

:roll: :lol:

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

snail
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by snail »

now you tell me if that ain't enough mojo to make an nkt275 fuzz face scream like hendrix in front of a stock marshall plexi (with 6550, of course) :twisted:

scottywompas
Information

Post by scottywompas »

I've been buying batteries at the dollar store and it seems like as soon as I pop em in their only running at 6 or 7 volts.

I have an adaptor for the delay on my board but I think I'm gonna daisy chain everything and just keep some batteries as backup.

I will be working on something and not paying attention, I go to plug it in to test it and it sounds like shit or doesn't work at all. usually it's late so I just go to bed then I wake up with the revelation and hit the battery with my meter to see 6.75 or something like that. Arrrrgh.

Scott

bumblebee
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by bumblebee »

these are around 9.7- 10.8volts so i'm pleased.!
:D

celadine
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by celadine »

Some transistor circuits are supposed to sound better with 'heavy duty' (carbon zinc) batteries. Because of the impedance/capacitance of the battery or something. (don't kill the messenger)

markm
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by markm »

I read that somewhere years ago.
Join together with the "Banned"!

reb
Information

Post by reb »

yeah, danelectro brands & sells cheap 9 volts saying they sound better.

jg
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jg »

celadine wrote:Some transistor circuits are supposed to sound better with 'heavy duty' (carbon zinc) batteries. Because of the impedance/capacitance of the battery or something. (don't kill the messenger)
I tend to think it all started with Duane Allman and his Fuzz Face. He liked the way it sounded with a partially depleted battery and would go around testing everyone's discarded batteries with a volt meter looking for ones in the right range.
http://books.google.com/books?id=gUolq3 ... _cx4vPOU8U

R.G.
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by R.G. »

The nice thing about external power supplies is that you can make them be exactly like a battery frozen in time.

This is an old, old topic, but I think maybe many people here haven't seen it.

Every voltage source can be modelled as a perfect voltage source driving some kind of imperfection network between it and the output pins of the real device.

The word "modelled" means "you cannot tell the difference between the real thing and the model if you did the model right."

If you take the open circuit voltage of a battery at some particular state of (dis)charge, that's the open circuit voltage. If you then load the battery with some external resistance, the battery voltage sags a bit. That sag is caused by the current flowing through the internal resistance. If you load it with both a DC load and an AC load, the battery voltage will vary both in DC voltage but perhaps also in phase compared to the load current. That is, the battery may have some internal inductance and capacitance too.

So if you measure a battery carefully when it's just at the right amount of depleted, you can design a power supply with the same open circuit voltage, the same internal resistance, and the same AC/frequency phase shift if you want to go that far. Generally voltage and series resistance is enough.

There is an article at GEO for how to do this if you want to experiment. See http://geofex.com/Article_Folders/pedal ... edalbd.htm