Looking for Shielded Wire to eliminate high pitch squeal on

Looking for a particular component or hardware part and you just cannot find it? Got comoonents surplus and want to get rid of it? Post it all here... No sales of working pedals, put these in the 'Seen for sale' section please.
jalexquijano
Information

Post by jalexquijano »

Can anyone recommend me the correct shielded wire to solder to the input and output jacks of a BSIAB2 stompbox? Where can i purchase it? Any website recommendations? I want to eliminate the high pitch squeal produced in a BSIAB2 whenever the level pot is raised over 10% and the drive pot is raised over 60%!

The only shielded wire i have found in Radio Shack contains one black wire, one red wire, one bare wire and the shield and it is a little thick compared to the stranded wires inside the enclosure of the pedal.

pandadandan
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pandadandan »

jalexquijano wrote:Can anyone recommend me the correct shielded wire to solder to the input and output jacks of a BSIAB2 stompbox? Where can i purchase it? Any website recommendations? I want to eliminate the high pitch squeal produced in a BSIAB2 whenever the level pot is raised over 10% and the drive pot is raised over 60%!

The only shielded wire i have found in Radio Shack contains one black wire, one red wire, one bare wire and the shield and it is a little thick compared to the stranded wires inside the enclosure of the pedal.
Look for
RG-174/U

Smallbear stocks it I believe.

jalexquijano
Information

Post by jalexquijano »

pandadandan wrote:
jalexquijano wrote:Can anyone recommend me the correct shielded wire to solder to the input and output jacks of a BSIAB2 stompbox? Where can i purchase it? Any website recommendations? I want to eliminate the high pitch squeal produced in a BSIAB2 whenever the level pot is raised over 10% and the drive pot is raised over 60%!

Look for
RG-174/U

Smallbear stocks it I believe.
How and where do i solder the RG-174 cable from the input jack of the pedal to the input of the PCB? Do i only need to solder the sole conductor in the same way as the stranded wire and leave the braided wire aside?

pandadandan
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pandadandan »

jalexquijano wrote:
How and where do i solder the RG-174 cable from the input jack of the pedal to the input of the PCB? Do i only need to solder the sole conductor in the same way as the stranded wire and leave the braided wire aside?
Strip the black case and shielding on one side, leaving only the conductor. Heatshrink the stripped area to prevent stray connections.
On the other end, strip the black casing but leave the shielding intact. Unbraid the shielding and twist it together. Solder a length of wire to the shielding, then heatshrink it. The newly-added wire goes to the sleeve connection of your jack, the conductor is connected as normal.

DeanM
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall VM 2466

Post by DeanM »

if your getting high frequency oscillations shielded wire will help but you may also want to think about your lead dress. if its going into oscillation cos its picking up interference you shoud check what wires it crosses and maybe try reroute it if its crossiing power wires or something like that. or of it has to cross other wires do so at right angles. the shileding may stop it but it would be good practice for when you build other pedals later.

Reginald
Information

Post by Reginald »

If you just need a small length of shielded wire, you can just use some old RCA cable. I used it for the input and output of my Aquapuss build.

moonshiner
Information

Post by moonshiner »

I built a wampler pinnacle 2 . It squealled badly. It is based on the bsiab2 . for future reference The squeal can also be caused by the jfet voltage. I literally shielded every wire in mine and was still getting squeal. Then i decided to swap out the jfets with a matched pair and tweaked the bias resistors a little bit and it did the trick. So if you just built one of these and got the squeals try shielding the in and out for sure but make sure you have the proper voltage on those jfets they are as finicky as the 3 transistor tonebenders .