SolaSound - Tone Bender MK1.5  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
jalmonsalmon
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by jalmonsalmon »

AH yeah! Changing the grid did the trick!
thanks! hehee :thumbsup
I like that DIY software... Next goal for me, to do a layout from scratch of anything just so I get the jist of it

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

You can do everything with DIYLC mate, your creativity is your limit. I did hell of the layouts, tagboards, vero, pcb for amps and effects. Small and big ones. Check out my website, all was done with DIYLC

jalmonsalmon
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by jalmonsalmon »

sinner wrote:You can do everything with DIYLC mate, your creativity is your limit. I did hell of the layouts, tagboards, vero, pcb for amps and effects. Small and big ones. Check out my website, all was done with DIYLC
I have only used this for the first time yesterday and yeah I also noticed you can layout guitar wiring too... Be great for a JTM45 build... :D How do you get it to save as PDF and have the image BIG lol or default to approx 200% zoom?

Your work Sinner on your site is impeccable! Or close to it hehehe~! :applause:

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

jalmonsalmon wrote:How do you get it to save as PDF and have the image BIG lol or default to approx 200% zoom?
Click file (left upper corner) -> Export to PDF, or Expoer to PNG :)

I was going to do an tutorial of DIYLC (at least my way for it), with my set of templates, and few ideas to simplify the process, but I always find myself busy with something else... I will one day. I use DIYLC for almost everything, including chassis plan draws :shock:
jalmonsalmon wrote:Your work Sinner on your site is impeccable! Or close to it hehehe~! :applause:
I'm a vintage crap whore, and I doing my best :blackeye

jalmonsalmon
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by jalmonsalmon »

sinner wrote: I'm a vintage crap whore, and I doing my best :blackeye
You and me both! Everything I use is vintage based or actual vintage :wink:

beedotman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by beedotman »

jalmonsalmon wrote:Hey all, I put together something real quick that may work. Needs to be verified and I do not have all the parts to mess with this yet.
It is loosely based on that copper top Mk 1.5 with a bias pot and will work with your neg ground power - borrowed from a layout that IVIark did for a fuzz face but I changed the passive values
so it works for the tonebender mk1.5, or should LOL
If anyone that is in the know can sort of check this over for errors, for this is the 1st time I ever tossed a vero together.
[ Image ]
It's all wrong - why did You replaced 47K with 100K and 100K with 47K? Copper MK1.5 follows classic MK1.5 schematic but with added pulldown capacitor on input to ground and additiona 47K resistor on Q1 base to ground.

beedotman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by beedotman »

And You have 22uF as input and 4.7uF as fuzz cap...

jalmonsalmon
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by jalmonsalmon »

Yeah I was looking at the layout vs schematic all wrong.
I see where to add the two passives by looking at the Tonebender MK 1.5 layout on your turrotboard.org site since it is more or less identical to the coppertop.
When I get a chance I will put another layout based on the turrotboard.org one I see. I am just trying to understand how to get from a schematic to a layout, arranging everything on the stripboard is still a challenge to me.
I am only good at making pedals from a layout LOL - Still trying to figure out how to make my own from a schematic... Fun sTUFF though! :applause:
And I cannot wait to make one of these. I take it, I can use just about any transistors since I cannot find a pair of OC75s that work...

CHEERS!

beedotman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by beedotman »

This is how I see it.
Sorry for lack of full wiring, I'm lazy.
Attachments
copperhead.png

jalmonsalmon
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by jalmonsalmon »

Moderator, delete that other layout I did! All wrong.

This one should be good as well with the neg power converter - Added 47k resistor were Arcol's measured at 43k

If this one is wrong I give up... And will hit the layout 101 books again :slap:

DonDougie
Information

Post by DonDougie »

Finished mine yesterday with an AC128 in q1 and an OC75 for q2, sounds really good and biases up fine with the stock resistors. Like a low gain MKII on some settings with a more gradual cleanup than a FF. For me, it actually works better for early Zeppelin tones than a MKII :thumbsup

beedotman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by beedotman »

DonDougie wrote:Finished mine yesterday with an AC128 in q1 and an OC75 for q2, sounds really good and biases up fine with the stock resistors. Like a low gain MKII on some settings with a more gradual cleanup than a FF. For me, it actually works better for early Zeppelin tones than a MKII :thumbsup
what gains did you used and what is Q2 colector voltage?

DonDougie
Information

Post by DonDougie »

beedotman wrote:what gains did you used and what is Q2 colector voltage?
Q1 is 69 hfe and q2 is 107, leakage for both around 100uA. I tried biasing q2 with a trimpot, and liked it best at around 5,5V, which happened to be around 8k :lol: I went through lots of gain configurations and q2 voltages (started at the usual 4,5-5V), and liked this one best because it gives a nice overdrive sound with the guitar volume backed up, has a good amount of gain and doesn't get mushy even with the attack pot fully open.

jalmonsalmon
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by jalmonsalmon »

I have a couple of OC75s I can try but I think they are too leaky.
I have one that is about 67 hFE @ .255, another is 85 hFE @ .275 and another that is 108 hFE @ .441!
they work ok for a Mk II but I suspect if I try them in a MK1.5 they will not bias. I need to try and find some better OC75s.
Anyone know if you can use OC140's? I know to reverse all the polarity since they are NPN but not sure if those would be good for a MK1.5

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: HIWATT motherfucker!

Post by phibes »

Your OC75's should work fine in a 1.5 is they work in a MKII. The gains are right and the leakage ain't 'too bad'. To adjust bias, drop the 47K on Q1's collector for a 100K trimmer.
GuitarlCarl - "TGP = The Gear Polishers"

Image Ken

DonDougie
Information

Post by DonDougie »

While swapping transistors around I've found that, while they bias up fine with a little tweaking, leaky ones (over, let's say, 100uA) didn't sound as smooth as low leakage ones with the same gains. The sound got kind of harsh and sputtery (not the decay, that was fine), a bit like a Fuzzrite. Still very usable, though; and after all, it's still all a matter of taste! Try the ones you have and if you like them, don't worry about it too much :wink:

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Electric Warrior »

DonDougie wrote:While swapping transistors around I've found that, while they bias up fine with a little tweaking, leaky ones (over, let's say, 100uA) didn't sound as smooth as low leakage ones with the same gains. The sound got kind of harsh and sputtery (not the decay, that was fine), a bit like a Fuzzrite. Still very usable, though; and after all, it's still all a matter of taste! Try the ones you have and if you like them, don't worry about it too much :wink:
100µA is very low leakage for an OC75. Most leak a lot more.

DonDougie
Information

Post by DonDougie »

Electric Warrior wrote:100µA is very low leakage for an OC75. Most leak a lot more.
I know, mine average at about 250-300uA, that's why I used an AC128 for q1. I just like it better this way.

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: HIWATT motherfucker!

Post by phibes »

EW's right. Even 200-300uA for leakage ain't bad on those. Those shouldn't spit nearly as much a Fuzzrite. Were you tweaking the bias on Q1 or Q2?
GuitarlCarl - "TGP = The Gear Polishers"

Image Ken

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Electric Warrior »

Some of them do have a sweet kind of nastyness going on, though.