Fender - Fuzz Wah ( 1st edition )  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

Im sure there are plenty of future visitors that would love it if you scanned it. :)

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

:mrgreen: it was out there long time ago...........enjoy
Attachments
4952862720_07449218c5_o.jpg
fender_fuzz-wah-pedal.png

looperstar
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender Super-Sonic

Post by looperstar »

Am I missing something or is this second one inductorless.

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

looperstar wrote:Am I missing something or is this second one inductorless.
there is no inductor....it is like Morley wah with pot to ground :thumbsup

Cheers
Boris

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

For Boris,
:thumbsup
Fender Fuzz Wah Component side
Fender Fuzz Wah Component side
Fender Fuzz Wah Trace side
Fender Fuzz Wah Trace side

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

:shock: you're alife Sir

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

sinner wrote::shock: you're alife Sir
:wink:

I've unofficially quit visiting and participating in all forums, but I still browse here occasionally. I've decided I want to sell my old Fuzz Wah, but I thought the very least I can do is share some good photos of it before it's gone. I will try to measure the values of the silicon transistors too, so you can find a good substitute if you want to make one. I like the fuzz in this very much! It has a cool old-style sound that reacts well with the guitar's controls. But, if I were to build my own (which I probably will), I would definitely make a couple mods: replace the output voltage divider with a proper volume control (at full volume, it's barely unity level), and drop the superfluous 22uF input cap nonsense. Would also do the usual negative ground, since I'd only be building the fuzz part.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

Hi Soulsonic, good to see you at FSB....you've been sorely missed.... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

Groovenut
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Groovenut »

Ditto. I cant tell you how happy I was to see a soulsonic post that wasn't 2 years old. You have been sorely missed good sir!

Imtxn
Information

Post by Imtxn »

I have the drawing of the Peterson version, if any one wants it

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

Imtxn wrote:I have the drawing of the Peterson version, if any one wants it
Never ask. Just post. Who knows someone years from now might find just what they were looking for. :D

GBlekas
Information

Post by GBlekas »

I realize this is an old thread but I have one of these I am working on and wonder if someone could answer a question, please? :-)

In the pic of the board there are 3 electrolytic caps on the vintage board but the schematic only shows two for some reason. The one by it's lonesome towards the top of the board by the wah circuit someone changed in the pedal I have and wonder if someone knows what the proper value is for that cap?

I included a pic of the pedal I have just to see the wrong type cap installed in that spot. I think I just realized that should be the cap for the power rail!?

Is that right?

Either way, thanks for the thread! :-)
Attachments
2583.jpeg

elmenco
Information

Post by elmenco »

GBlekas wrote: 04 Aug 2020, 19:41 I realize this is an old thread but I have one of these I am working on and wonder if someone could answer a question, please? :-)

In the pic of the board there are 3 electrolytic caps on the vintage board but the schematic only shows two for some reason. The one by it's lonesome towards the top of the board by the wah circuit someone changed in the pedal I have and wonder if someone knows what the proper value is for that cap?

I included a pic of the pedal I have just to see the wrong type cap installed in that spot. I think I just realized that should be the cap for the power rail!?

Is that right?

Either way, thanks for the thread! :-)
Hi did you ever figure this out? I have one in the mail and can pop it open to confirm but on the schematic I see the three:

One 25uf at the input, a 100uf at Q4 collector, and the 100uf at the bottom of the schematic the one you pointed out at the rail.

It will be interesting to see how it sounds. Usually these white Mallorys go back on Silverface amps and require changing. Maybe at 9V it's less of an issue.

Happy new year