Roland - AD-50 ( Double Beat )  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...

R.G.
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by R.G. »

Schematics have been at GEOFEX for a long time.

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

R.G. wrote:Schematics have been at GEOFEX for a long time.
I couldnt find them at GEOFEX ...I mus have looked in the wrong place...but I found what I assume is your schematic at Free Info Society. If you post the link to your site, I'll remove this one....

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electron ... lebeat.pdf

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

has anyone found a layout for the fuzz section of this design? i recently heard a clip and it's a beast!
if none is found, i could try and do a vero-

cheers!
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

Whoismarykelly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Whoismarykelly »

RnFR wrote:has anyone found a layout for the fuzz section of this design? i recently heard a clip and it's a beast!
if none is found, i could try and do a vero-

cheers!
I've been looking around for a layout but I think this is going to be my first attempt at designing a PCB. Ambitious I think. Fail pending.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

i think i might have to try a vero layout then...
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

so i've got my vero layout almost finished, but i'm stuck on one thing. on the schem, there is a gain pot, and a 3way switch. but in videos such as this one:

there is clearly another pot visible. i'm guessing it's a volume pot, but does anyone know the value?

another thing, would it be possible to wire the 3 outs with a on/off/on dpdt? or must you use a rotary?

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

Whoismarykelly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Whoismarykelly »

RnFR wrote:so i've got my vero layout almost finished, but i'm stuck on one thing. on the schem, there is a gain pot, and a 3way switch. but in videos such as this one:

there is clearly another pot visible. i'm guessing it's a volume pot, but does anyone know the value?

another thing, would it be possible to wire the 3 outs with a on/off/on dpdt? or must you use a rotary?
Im looking at some photos and there is definitely a 50kb pot for output level and from what I can see its just wired in after the tone selector. There is only the 10k gain pot on the schematic Im looking at which tells me its probably just a final master volume after the tone selector at the output. I guess that's considered obvious in the world of schematics? I wouldn't have thought about it until you brought it up really. I didn't really know so I guess that makes two of us.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

great thanks a lot.

also, i've read a few comments about how this box sounds good with your guitar volume rolled back. this could easily be remedied by putting a "pregain" pot on the front end. i'll include that mod on my layout.

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

alright, here's what i've got. i think i got it pretty tight, all the parts on a decent sized board. i'd appreciate it if somebody could double check this one for me. it's probably my most in depth vero layout yet, but it looks good to me.

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

Whoismarykelly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Whoismarykelly »

RnFR wrote:alright, here's what i've got. i think i got it pretty tight, all the parts on a decent sized board. i'd appreciate it if somebody could double check this one for me. it's probably my most in depth vero layout yet, but it looks good to me.

Looks pretty good at first glance. All the value listings are pretty hard to read though. Might help a little to put those in a regular font and space them out a bit. Looks good otherwise. Have you built it?

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

i haven't built it yet. and as for the font, it took me fing forever just to write them out to begin with, so i doubt i'll be doing it over. is there a better way to do lists in DIYLC than just placing text for every single component? maybe i'm an idiot, but i haven't found any.

but, i did just find a 3way rotary i cannibalized from a radio a while back... 8)
Last edited by RnFR on 21 Dec 2008, 01:30, edited 1 time in total.

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Sustain pot is on early units 50kA on 1976 units 10kC
Output pot is: 50kB
Wah pot is always: 100kA

Beside the missing output poti in the old schematic floating around, there is missing on the Wah-section a 10µF electrolytic from + to gnd, and a 4k7 resistor between the 220n capacitor (coming from the slider of the wah pot) and the base of the second transistor.

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

thanks for the corrections, AG. maybe i'll draw up a correct schem one of these days if you haven't.

one more question- do the outs on the schem correspond with sine, square, and triangle top to bottom?
Last edited by RnFR on 21 Dec 2008, 01:46, edited 1 time in total.

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Didn´t have time to redraw it - only made correction remarks in my files yet.

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

here is the accurate (i believe) schem.

AG, if you could give it a look that'd be great.

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

that's a lot different than RG's wah schem. he had the inductor coming off the 2nd transistor. i'll fix it up and change the link.

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

so, does anyone know how the outputs correlate to the sine, square, triangle switch? i'd like to label the schem properly.

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

here is my updated schem.
Roland Double Beat AD50 schematic
Roland Double Beat AD50 schematic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO