Honey - Special Fuzz  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
digi2t
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by digi2t »

I wasn't sure if you guys had this one completely traced or not, but there's one on Ebay at the moment:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Vintage-19 ... 2c69b9ad43

Just in case you have any additional questions... this guy says he has TWO of these!
I have traced it, but I haven`t had the time to build/verify my vero yet. I might go at it next week.

As for the unit on Ebay, I had several exchanges with the owner over the course of a year, even offering to repair it(them) for free in exchange for the chance to trace it. I even offered to pay all shipping expenses. I was always offered good will and promises, and heaping doses of excuses, so it never materialized.

In the end, I was lucky enough to be PM`d by someone in Sweden who knew of one for sale near him, and he offered to be the mddleman in my purchase. My unit is very clean, and fully functional. A very good buy indeed.

All I can say is this; whoever buys the unit for sale on Ebay... buyer beware. Money may talk, but bullshit sure does walk. To qoute Forest Gump, that`s all that I have to say about that.
No matter how many times I cut it, it`s STILL too short!

https://www.deadendfx.com/

digi2t
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by digi2t »

OK.... SUCCESS!!!! :applause:

It works. Here is the verified vero.

Thanks to some typos, I had my oscillation speed on one side going way too fast. I also had a resistor labeled wrong on the fuzz section. All corrected now.

I'll try and get a video out tomorrow, likely the day after though. Fuzz sounds totally raunchy, and with the oscillation on, totally retarded.

I love it! :twisted:

digi2t
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by digi2t »

OK, major update....

The 42TL019 transformers just don't cut the mustard. Compared to the TDK 4 Henry inductors, their pretty much spot on for inductance. Problem is resistance. The transformers are more than double the resistance. This makes the "wah" effect very muffled, and DULL. Compared to the original unit, it sounds like an old Maytag chugging away.

So, it was back to the drawing board....

Happy discovery though. Going through my stock, and trying different inductors that I had, I came upon two LT44 transformers that I had bought a while back. Trying the different connections, I found that the outer pins on the secondary really work well. The outer pins of the secondary side, I have 1 Henry, and 60 ohms (versus 4 Henry and 220 ohms of the TDK). It now gives me pretty much the same effect as the original. I'm no expert on inductance, but it's as if the resistance of the transformer plays a bigger role than the inductance. By adjusting the 100nF cap, I could fine tune the tone of the sweep, and I've gone with a 120nF box cap. Not a big change, but my ears said "better".

I also added a Stupidly Wonderful Tone Control. I'm using a B10K pot, with a 18nF cap, and an A50K volume pot. It's subtle, but effective enough. I also replaced the 33nF output cap with a 10uF bi-polar cap. This not only makes the tone variance stand out more, but prevents the DC from hitting the volume pot. Without a cap here, the switch pop is brutal as well.

The veros have been updated to reflect the different transformers. A word of warning though, the LT44's are 5mm bigger than the 42TL019's, but they will JUST sqeeze into the vero. There's an added jumper, since I'm not using the frame as a jumper anymore. As a matter of fact, due to the larger transformer frames, use of the frame tabs is out of the question. I simply folded them under, and used all the connection pins to hold the transformers in place. You might have to shift over a set of holes, so just shift any other components accordingly. The cuts don't change, but pay attention to respect them vis a vis where you're putting the pins.

As for the transistor gains here's what I used in each slot (all 2SC828R's), measured with my Peak Atlas meter; Q1-165, Q2-176, Q3/Q4-182, Q5-163, Q6-172, Q7-178, Q8-181, Q9-176, Q10/Q11-178, Q12-168, Q13-176. Q3/Q4 are matched for the octave section, and Q10/Q11 are matched for... not quite sure, but I figured that if they were doing the same job, why not do it equally. Totally scientific, eh? :lol:

Here's some pics;

and of course, another installment, from the Hen's Tooth Cafe. Side by side shootout.

Pacafeliz
Information

Post by Pacafeliz »

digi2t wrote:
As for the unit on Ebay, I had several exchanges with the owner over the course of a year, even offering to repair it(them) for free in exchange for the chance to trace it. I even offered to pay all shipping expenses. I was always offered good will and promises, and heaping doses of excuses, so it never materialized.

In the end, I was lucky enough to be PM`d by someone in Sweden who knew of one for sale near him, and he offered to be the mddleman in my purchase. My unit is very clean, and fully functional. A very good buy indeed.

All I can say is this; whoever buys the unit for sale on Ebay... buyer beware. Money may talk, but bullshit sure does walk. To qoute Forest Gump, that`s all that I have to say about that.
well that's not nice. :(
dude i am going thru friggin' divorce, after 11 years.
but yeah, sorry, anyways.

i do still have the other one, just in case someone's interested...
good luck and happy holidays to all, etc.

Pat.

octavian
Information

Post by octavian »

Sorry to bring this back from the dead -

I was wondering if you could talk about how the two footswitches and the toggle are connected - I'm assuming the 1-6 from the board are for the toggle? Sorry, I'm a little confused here.

digi2t
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by digi2t »

octavian wrote:Sorry to bring this back from the dead -

I was wondering if you could talk about how the two footswitches and the toggle are connected - I'm assuming the 1-6 from the board are for the toggle? Sorry, I'm a little confused here.
Go down about half way on page 1 of this thread. The diagram for the off board wiring is there. If it still doesn't illuminate you, let me know.

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Otherwise theres a schematic there as well. How hard can it be? :mrgreen:
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

Dan N
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Dan N »

Too bad about the fixed rate.

You can still get those inductors from Oregon Service Corp.<http://www.organservice.com/>. Part # 80-5041-7. They cost $8.00 ea. and there is a $15.00 minimum order (plus shipping).
Dick joke has expired.

digi2t
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by digi2t »

Yes, I know, but I want to use something a bit more "buyer friendly". I had discovered the web site when I was reversing the circuit, but at the time, no one from there would answer my email requests. The LT44 transformers are easily sourced, cheaper, and work just as well. Granted, they do take up a bit more room than the TDK's, but it's nice to have options.