ESR Graphic Fuzz  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...

Re: ESR graphic fuzz traced & layout

Postby rossics » 10 Jun 2013, 03:50

Came across this layout a while back on tagboardeffects, can't seem to find it there anymore,
Has anyone ever tried it out?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rossics

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Nocentelli » 10 Jun 2013, 10:04

I believe it was pulled because it didn't work.
mmolteratx wrote:absolutely zero commercial use allowed. If I find anyone selling these, I'll fly to your house and kick you in the nads. And you may or may not find yourself in trouble.
Nocentelli
Tube Twister

Have thanks: 825 times

Postby larsjm » 02 Dec 2014, 05:21

Just a quick observation, which may explain why most people get lots of whine from this circuit, if they can get it to work at all. If you look at the pictures of an original unit, the battery ground wire clearly attaches to a switched input jack: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-i5lDSHm3KuE/Tpcg1Ev-0oI/AAAAAAAAAI4/QFdthw_j9Ko/s1600/IMG_0551.JPG. To my knowledge, the way that type of power switching works is that it connects the negative battery terminal TO THE GROUND OF YOUR GUITAR CABLE. That being the case, it therefore connects the negative battery terminal to EVERYTHING that is connected to chassis ground. So why is it that people are saying you need to isolate the negative battery lead from the other grounds?

It wasn't isolated in the original pedal.....
larsjm

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby larsjm » 02 Dec 2014, 05:33

To get the most out of this pedal, you also need to install an offset null control for the 741. This can be done with a 10k linear pot connected to pins 1 and 5, with the wiper to ground. This gives you tons of control over the fuzz sound, and IMHO is more effective than the filter control. In fact, on mine I just leave the filter on full and tune it with the offset null control. Lots of great, gated, sputtery fuzz sounds there!
larsjm

Postby tabbycat » 02 Dec 2014, 07:16

Nocentelli wrote:Many thanks to peeps and intripped for the advice

Nocentelli wrote:works now! Oscillation aplenty, tweaking begins tomorrow.

hey nocentelli, am glad you got this brat to beat.

did you use peepsthecat's vero layout or intripped's schematic eventually?
am loving the yt demo you posted (why can't all demo's be like that?)

there are a mix of options, schemos and veros, some of them with (possibly) unresolved issues and some already dismissed. obviously all efforts are noble and to be applauded, it's a jungle out there in 'uncharted effect land'.
it looks like a not overly complicated build to get into, but (obviously) would like to start at the most promising beginning, if it is that straightforward and not a composite of parts of each.

thanks, tabbycat.
"be a good animal, true to your instincts" (d.h. lawrence).
"there is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion" (francis bacon).
"ni dieu ni maître" (anarchist slogan).
tabbycat
Cap Cooler

Have thanks: 63 times

Postby Nocentelli » 02 Dec 2014, 07:48

mmolteratx wrote:absolutely zero commercial use allowed. If I find anyone selling these, I'll fly to your house and kick you in the nads. And you may or may not find yourself in trouble.

For this message the author Nocentelli has received thanks: 2
Blend (08 Jan 2015, 20:46), tabbycat (02 Dec 2014, 19:13)
Nocentelli
Tube Twister

Postby tabbycat » 02 Dec 2014, 19:19

Nocentelli wrote:I used this:
download/file.php?id=21595&mode=view

many thanks, nocentelli.

i have yet to breadboard a whole pedal yet. just cobbled together separate individual sections to add a clipping stage, or a tone stack. maybe this is the one to start with. will update as and when.
"there is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion" (francis bacon).
tabbycat
Cap Cooler

Postby Nocentelli » 02 Dec 2014, 21:06

larsjm wrote:Just a quick observation, which may explain why most people get lots of whine from this circuit...

Apparently, that's an original feature:

Goodrat wrote:Hey guys, I worked at ESR as one of the two technicians there in the customer service repair. It was back in 1978 and my first electronics job. Sometimes we would just play guitar all day.
What I remember about the Graphic Fuzz box is they oscillated like crazy....
Nocentelli
Tube Twister

Postby tabbycat » 03 Dec 2014, 02:39

Nocentelli wrote:
larsjm wrote:Just a quick observation, which may explain why most people get lots of whine from this circuit...

Apparently, that's an original feature:

Goodrat wrote:Hey guys, I worked at ESR as one of the two technicians there in the customer service repair. It was back in 1978 and my first electronics job. Sometimes we would just play guitar all day.
What I remember about the Graphic Fuzz box is they oscillated like crazy....

maybe i'm just a bratty noisenik but i like the self-oscillation whistle with the fuzz. makes it dirtier, spacier.

but there's a recent clone out there that seems to have minimalised the whine to satisfy all the lightweights (don't you raise your handbag at me...)

so i thought i'd i'd post the with and without version demo here for the sake of comparison.

Link
tabbycat
Cap Cooler

Postby allesz » 03 Dec 2014, 11:41

Damn, the sound of this effect is soo cool too mee.
I really have to give it another try, I got some 741 (and I must say I like this chip).
Apart from the oscillation the fuzz sound is really nice.
allesz
Cap Cooler

Have thanks: 120 times

Postby tabbycat » 03 Dec 2014, 22:18

just been out in the 'hood, more s&d than r&d. a-ducking here, a-diving there, a-stretching here, a-skewing there...

earth sound research pcb shots separate (solder side flipped horizontally to match component side view)...

esr graphic fuzz pcb separate.jpg

and blended.

esr graphic fuzz blend pcb copy.jpg

pcb of original esr graphic fuzz photo-plopped for your amusement.

tabbycat.
tabbycat
Cap Cooler

Postby tabbycat » 03 Dec 2014, 23:03

links to photos showing offboard wiring, to join the dots.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... 94&page=29
tabbycat
Cap Cooler

Postby tabbycat » 03 Dec 2014, 23:11

links all over here for this

anybody ever mess with the ESR Graphic Fuzz?
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=22621

Earth Sounds Research Graphic Fuzz
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=17755

Earth Sound Research - Graphic Fuzz
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4673&hilit=graphic+fuzz

all with schematics of sorts.

maybe a merge in order.
tabbycat
Cap Cooler

Re: ESR Graphic Fuzz

Postby tabbycat » 04 Jan 2015, 03:43

found some nice gutshots of this today, don't know how i missed them before. have to click on the for full image because they are huge.

original post here with lots more pics http://retrotonejunkie.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... -fuzz.html

thanks to retrotonejunkie for the blogpost thing. i hope you don't mind me reposting the gut shot pics here.
tabbycat
Cap Cooler

Postby tabbycat » 04 Jan 2015, 03:47

re post above, clicking on them doesn't seem to give full image maybe because they are linked rather than attached.
if you are using a pc, right click with mouse and then click 'view image'. then click 'back page' arrow in browser to get back to post.
if you are using a mac, buy a pc and do the above.
tabbycat
Cap Cooler

Postby tabbycat » 12 Jan 2015, 02:00

i've done a thing. my first.

earth sound research graphic fuzz tabbycat vero layout.gif

it's as unverified as your mum. will try to build and verify this week but until then it's take it or leave it.

i used this schematic by induction (which nocentelli recommended as it worked for him).
download/file.php?id=21595&mode=view

i think the board stuff is solid but am a bit unsure about the pot lug numbering business. always trips me up.
will update and repost here with verified written all over it when i have done so.

but if you feel inclined to have a crack, get in...

many thanks to IvIark for his from schematic to layout guide which really helped clarify things re plotting this out.
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... guide.html

will be back soon elated or deflated, chuffed or scuffed...

tabbycat.
tabbycat
Cap Cooler

Postby fldrvr » 21 Jan 2015, 18:00

Hey Tabbycat! Any luck? Thanks!
Good deals: (TGP) leray1, Electroman, bigEbeer; (HC) StratsRule07, lfrz93, Firebrand, caeman, bluesthug; (Talkbass) jazzyitalian, MicG, bufert57, marineman227; (DIYstompboxes) LucifersTrip, (ILF) Monkey Boy, julius_deane, oldangelmidnight, K2000
fldrvr

Postby fldrvr » 21 Jan 2015, 18:08

larsjm wrote:To get the most out of this pedal, you also need to install an offset null control for the 741. This can be done with a 10k linear pot connected to pins 1 and 5, with the wiper to ground. This gives you tons of control over the fuzz sound, and IMHO is more effective than the filter control. In fact, on mine I just leave the filter on full and tune it with the offset null control. Lots of great, gated, sputtery fuzz sounds there!

Hey there! I'm curious as to how you accomplished this. Any useful links? Can you add to the schemiatic? Thanks!!
Good deals: (TGP) leray1, Electroman, bigEbeer; (HC) StratsRule07, lfrz93, Firebrand, caeman, bluesthug; (Talkbass) jazzyitalian, MicG, bufert57, marineman227; (DIYstompboxes) LucifersTrip, (ILF) Monkey Boy, julius_deane, oldangelmidnight, K2000
fldrvr

Postby Nocentelli » 21 Jan 2015, 18:44

Some
larsjm wrote:To get the most out of this pedal, you also need to install an offset null control for the 741. This can be done with a 10k linear pot connected to pins 1 and 5, with the wiper to ground.
Nocentelli
Tube Twister

Postby tabbycat » 21 Jan 2015, 20:04

fldrvr wrote:Hey Tabbycat! Any luck? Thanks!

hey fldrvr, thanks for the interest.

it is built on my desk minus the 1uf caps which should have arrived in the post today. if so, i will solder it up and post some pics tonight or tomorrow.
btw i tweaked the vero layout a little bit. just moved c4 left a bit into the space between r1 and c2 and moved everything up to fill the gap it left, to make the layout tighter. but it's essentially the same. have got the new layout drawn and ready to post but am waiting unitl i know it actually works before posting it.
anyway, all being well i should have the layout posted and pics of my build in this thread by the weekend. so make sure you have some 1uf caps to hand. exactly like i didn't.

tabbycat.
tabbycat
Cap Cooler

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Stompbox Corner ( ... - 1975)