Pepe Rush - Fuzzy

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

is there a vero for this sucker?
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

royaltoots
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Davoli Studio 60

Post by royaltoots »

i have one at home, but it's not pretty

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

well, as long as it works...
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

royaltoots
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by royaltoots »

usera.imagecave.com/simonm/schem/PepRush.JPG

P1 - PEP - 50K
p2 - VOL - 500K

R1 = 82K
R2 = 1M
R3, R7, R8, R9 = 10K
R5 = 2.4K
R6 = 24K

C1 = 0.01uF
C2, C3 = 1uF unpolarised
C4 = 0.0333 uF

C5 optional small cap, output to ground, to control squealing, not shown

Q1-3 are unmarked Ge PNP, lower gain works best, especially in Q1, to cut down oscillation. I didn't do any rebiasing, just tried a variety of trannies for "best" sound. Q1 is a 1970s GT308B (Russian, hfe 34) Q2 and Q3 are NOS 2G381T (approx 80 hfe?).

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

ha! nice.
:applause:

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

i just downloaded the DIYLC so maybe i'll see if i can decode that thing. :wink:

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

royaltoots
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by royaltoots »

I boxed mine up at the weekend (in a determinedly retro fashion, pics soon, maybe clips even) and it sounds way better in the box than out - as it's generally quieter, I was able to put in higher gain transistors without oscillation, and leave out C5 - latest set is Q1+2 - 2G381T, Q3 - NKT213.

Not sure what DIYLC is but check MoreCowbell's recent posts for tips on understanding vero layouts if you are new to them, there's a link to a photo tutorial in his gallery at diystompboxes - the Colorsound One Knob Fuzz that I really should build some time - it's supposedly a Dick Denney design from 1962 (although that does seem unlikely).

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

i've made a few circuits on vero. no expert, but i have the idea down.
i was talking about diy layout creator. you can find it here- http://www.storm-software.co.yu/diy/
last time i checked it out it didnt work for mac. i went back and now lo and behold- a java version. unfortunately the layouts on the sight don't work with the java version though. [smilie=thumbdown2.gif] i just got it so now i can try and catch up with the rest of the (pc) world, and make some vero layouts on my computer. check it out- looks like you might find it handy too.

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

remork
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by remork »

RnFR wrote:..it didnt work for mac. i went back and now lo and behold- a java version.
:applause: :applause: :applause:
happy happy joy joy

royaltoots
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by royaltoots »

remork wrote:
RnFR wrote:..it didnt work for mac. i went back and now lo and behold- a java version.
:applause: :applause: :applause:
happy happy joy joy
is there a direct link to the java version? I can't find it :cry:

remork
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by remork »

getting somewhat slightly off topic but here goes :wink:
follow the above link (http://www.storm-software.co.yu/diy/)
then it's clickable on the third line:

[20.12.2007] Public beta of DIYLC multi-platform Java version is available for download . Feel free to try it!

so it doesn't say mac specifically..

hope that helps.

royaltoots
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by royaltoots »

thanks!

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Due to recent interest in this matter:
To avoid confusion I have to say this unit has absolutely nothing to do with the Watkins/WEM Pepe Rush Fuzz.

The Watkins/WEM Pepe Rush Fuzz uses two silicon BC107 transistors and appears rather like a Fuzz-Face than a Maestro FZ-1A clone.

Sadly I haven´t seen the track side of the Pepe Rush Fuzz so that I could say more about it.

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

royaltoots
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by royaltoots »

analogguru wrote:Due to recent interest in this matter:
To avoid confusion I have to say this unit has absolutely nothing to do with the Watkins/WEM Pepe Rush Fuzz.
...the connection is that Pepe Rush designed both boxes - admittedly the evidence is sketchy but Rush is quoted in Toop's article - says he originally produced a fuzz around 1965 in small numbers, but got one to the Beatles (seen in a photo of Lennon during Revolver sessions - it's a Fuzztone-like wedge and a WEM logo is visible), and later around '68 produced a second fuzz for Watkins/WEM, with silicon transistors, that was called the Rush Pep Box.

DiscoFreq
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by DiscoFreq »

Yes, I mailed with Pepe Rush about that pedal, but I didn't get a reply on my first mail, and on the second one he said he already replied and talks about his plans for a new pedal. He doesn't explicitly say this was one of his pedals, but he certainly didn't deny it and because of the way the mails (mine & his) were written I concluded it was one of his pedals.
EffectsDatabase: http://www.effectsdatabase.com
22000 pedals, 4000 brands, 350 brand interviews
NAMM 2016: http://fxdb.org/namm

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

...the connection is that Pepe Rush designed both boxes.....
Sorry, when I always get problems in my stomach when a solder-jockey claims to have "designed" something.

It´s the same when you would play "Satisfaction" or "Wholla Lotta Love" in your personal way and claim that you have composed it - whereas in reality you are only an "interpreter".

And this rule applies the same to a solder-jockey tweaking a Maestro FZ-1 - he never "designed" it, he only "interpreted" it in his personal way/taste.

Therefore this Fuzzy box is only a Maestro FZ-1 "interpretation"....

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

royaltoots
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by royaltoots »

analogguru wrote:
...the connection is that Pepe Rush designed both boxes.....
Sorry, when I always get problems in my stomach when a solder-jockey claims to have "designed" something....
you're totally right, it's just a minor variation on the FZ-1, but he's not making any great claims for it himself - it's only me who called him the 'designer', there isn't a less specific word to use, except 'producer' or whatever.

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

.... there isn't a less specific word to use, except 'producer' or whatever.
Maybe "builder" ? :roll: :wink:

analogguru

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Electric Warrior »

DiscoFreq wrote:I was bidding on that one too :(

It's probably a Pep Rush fuzz, before they were made by WEM. The "pep" has nothing to do with slang, but with the nickname of the guy who built them: Pepe Rush.
Sure sounds like a good theory, but the bipolares are dated 11/66 (saved the photos from the old D*A*M forum :wink: ). We know the grey WEM/Rush Pepbox was available by April '66 (Paperback Writer sessions).

Both enclosures are based on the Fuzztone enclosure, but the insides look a little different from each other, so it's possible that these were made by two different builders.

Also, the Pepbox seems to be based on the FZ-1, while the Fuzzy is a clone of the later FZ-1A, but running on 3V.

I guess the Fuzzy and the Pepbox might not be related after all. :hmmm:

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

Professor SourTone wrote:The WEM version is massive and I think has wood in the construction somewhere. Its the usual Charlie Watkins insanity. According to Toop the WEM versions were silicon. I want one.
I have a WEM Project IV here somewhere - I'll have to dig it out (it's buried in the cellar with a load of other junk). As I remember, it is a three transistor thing (silicon BC 109 probably) and it sounded disgusting. I think I traced it years ago, but it isn't worth reproducing. The most unusual thing about it is the case it came in - a great long thing with recessed pots and a rubber mat around the footswitch.
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"