Elka - Dizzy Tone  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
beedotman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by beedotman »

beedotman wrote:tag board adaptation based on Buzzaround layout
Slighty updated layouts - corrected pot's values 8)
Attachments
elka_tag.png
elka_tag.pdf
(63.13 KiB) Downloaded 154 times

Gregoire
Information

Post by Gregoire »

royaltoots wrote:Does anyone know where the Elka Dizzy Tone was made? Maybe it's in the Analogman book, don't remember.
I'm curious because the transistors seem to be American as far as I can tell, but it looks European. SFT = Solid State Devices /Solid State Micro Technology of California?
I know Elka made organs, but can't find much more info. If I had to guess I'd say Italian.

Thanks to remork for tracing this! I'd seen the Dizzy Tone name around, but didn't know it was in the 'first wave' of fuzz. Since we don't have the Buzzaround schem, this is my next build, thought it won't be for a few weeks.
I haven't found the a cheap source for the original trannies, but SFT308 seems to be roughly equivalent to AF121, AF124 and AF200, none of which I've used before (but they aren't expensive - always good to get a lead on some 'new' Ge!), while SFT352 = AC125 and 126 - also cheap.
The Elka Dizzy Tone Fuzz Pedal was made in Italy. I bought mine in '72 because I also needed the sustain for Santana numberts. At the time, I was after a fuzz box and that's what the shop sold me. It still works brilliantly.... Greg

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

I made this PCB replica:
ElkaDizzyToneLayout.JPG
ElkaDizzyTonePCB_ComponentSide.pdf
(96.22 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
ElkaDizzyTonePCB_SolderSide.pdf
(90.58 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
ElkaDizzyTonePCB_SolderSideMirrored.pdf
(91.31 KiB) Downloaded 183 times

beedotman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by beedotman »

Found recently some old files, thought I will put them here.
Attachments
elka_dizzy_tone.png