Dallas Arbiter - Tremface

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
markm
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by markm »

I've been playing around with the Trem Face schem that R.G. has on his site and IMO, it does have issues.
Any chance we could get this straightened out?
Maybe some more detailed pics of the guts?
What do ya think vanessa??

vanessa
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by vanessa »

analogguru wrote:Vanessa is a real nice name, so why you don´t like it ?
I feel at times having my name as my moniker leads people to not take me seriously. I.e. "Oh she's a girl what does she know". I don't claim to be a genius and I'm no where near the level of some on these forums, but I do like to be taken seriously when I'm trying to be.
analogguru wrote: Concerning my posting above:
I am always ready for a deal.... So if I receive a picture as mentioned above you have a "design-wish" free. You tell me which effect you want to have designed and I will support you with a schematic and a pcb-layout. Is this a deal....?

analogguru
You don't have to do any such thing AG. You've posted so much information on this and other forums (most admittedly I don't understand LoL) that I'm just happy that you do this for others like me.

I was about to post that photo you asked for right here for all to see because I have nothing to hide. But invictus's post got me thinking. See below
invictus wrote: i think its time for "post your mug shots" thread in the members section! :lol:
Why not have all current members in the forum post their "mug shot" in a sticky thread in the Members section. Maybe have it that only then can you have access to the "Boutique Stompboxes dissected..." and all the basic membership privileges. That way we know who is on the forum. Do something like AG said where you have to take one with a soldering iron and a guitar.
Better (for pre-membership) would be that before you get approved to even log in to the forum one needs to be forwarded to the moderator to be posted in this sticky.

What do you all think about that? I am all for it.

8)
Last edited by vanessa on 15 Aug 2007, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.

theblackman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by theblackman »

that's a cool idea!

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Hey Guys and Gals
I am completely transparent - from day one on this forum, my avatar is a picture of me relaxing with a glass of red wine, my profile tells you exactly where I live and work etc.
Is this not a good place to start - If you are really ugly you could always put a paper bag over your head before you take a picture :lol: :lol: :lol:
bajamaniac

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

I'm down. Vanessa's idea is great; don't allow access to the good stuff until you've posted up your pic. Just start the thread, and I'm in.

Though if anyone really cared about what the hell I looked like, all you'd have to do is look up my Myspace pages; either my personal one or my band's.

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Vanessa,

Leave that pic!
the fact of "hey it's a gal! Pics please" gives me a naggin feeling.

Or, moxe extensiveluy explained, a local forum where I do moderate the fx part, has had quite a lot of trouble a while ago whith the fact that, guitar stuf generally being a guy's thing, every female member that signed up got these "picture!!" requests straight away and often with more rude requests followed. That does give me the feeling of, before we start to stay away from politics or religion discussions, we better stay away from gender. Let's all be sex-less forummembers.

And if I would want to have hidden fantasies about forummite Vanessa ( :shock: ) I don't need a picture. I'm confident I'll like you whatever way you look.. just as is the case for all members over here.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

That's why I figured that if we ALL put pictures up, then we'd be able to get the past the "sexist" problem.

magikker
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by magikker »

haha... I'd be most curious to see how old you guys are.

vanessa
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by vanessa »

Dirk_Hendrik wrote: And if I would want to have hidden fantasies about forummite Vanessa ( :shock: ) I don't need a picture. I'm confident I'll like you whatever way you look.. just as is the case for all members over here.
I think I can handle myself. I've dealt with the creep factor many a time believe me.
I'm liking Bajaman's idea of placing it as your avatar, with something that we know had to be included at the request of the forum, like what AG was talking about. Maybe a solder gun and a guitar?

vanessa
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by vanessa »

soulsonic wrote:That's why I figured that if we ALL put pictures up, then we'd be able to get the past the "sexist" problem.
I'll just put on my ugly face and wear some horned rimmed glasses!

:lol:

markm
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by markm »

Ya know, I have no problem with vanessa being Female......and a Stomper fanatic!
I think I've responded to you on the other forum thinking "vanessa" was either some kind of tounge in cheek joke or a last name or....whatever.
I didn't realize you were Female until you said so.
With that said I will also state....I DON't CARE!!
It doesn't really matter to me. :lol:
Hey, there were Female Pirates too ya know! 8)
Thanks for joining us.
Just think, you're one of the Originals on a forum that is destined to be THE place to go and will make Stompbox history!!
Welcome!
Join together with the "Banned"!

silverface
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by silverface »

This is nice too, a Trem Face from circa '69:
Attachments
!BWVv8,Q!mk~$(KGrHgoOKkIEjlLmVgL3BKW8WCmDj!~~_3.JPG
!BWVv2Dw!mk~$(KGrHgoOKkYEjlLm(TDiBKW8VjwLL!~~_3.JPG
!BWVvpBw!mk~$(KGrHgoOKkEEjlLm(F82BKW8Um!l5g~~_3.JPG

Bernardduur
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: Welagen - ODR

Post by Bernardduur »

Anyone needs something from the Tremface? I have one in my posession now
'No more....... loud music.......'
Follow my love for pedals and amps on https://bernardduur.blogspot.com and https://www.instagram.com/bernardduur1

R.G.
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by R.G. »

Bernardduur wrote:Anyone needs something from the Tremface? I have one in my posession now
You could check it against the schemo at GEOFEX to see if yours matches what I found. To correct a few misconceptions from this thread, I did actually get not one but two Tremfaces to work from, and the schemo matches what I found. I've fixed two broken ones from those schemos, and people have built working units from them, which is about as good a confirmation of them working as I can get.

But there are always manufacturing variations. It may be that your unit is slightly different from the ones I traced. More data is good.

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: HIWATT motherfucker!

Post by phibes »

invictus wrote:
analogguru wrote:Vanessa is a real nice name, so why you don´t like it ?

Concerning my posting above:
I am always ready for a deal.... So if I receive a picture as mentioned above you have a "design-wish" free. You tell me which effect you want to have designed and I will support you with a schematic and a pcb-layout. Is this a deal....?

analogguru

i think its time for "post your mug shots" thread in the members section! :lol:
A thread full of actual mug shots might be pretty cool. I know I have plenty to choose from.
GuitarlCarl - "TGP = The Gear Polishers"

Image Ken

graemey
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by graemey »

R.G. wrote:
Bernardduur wrote:Anyone needs something from the Tremface? I have one in my posession now
You could check it against the schemo at GEOFEX to see if yours matches what I found. To correct a few misconceptions from this thread, I did actually get not one but two Tremfaces to work from, and the schemo matches what I found. I've fixed two broken ones from those schemos, and people have built working units from them, which is about as good a confirmation of them working as I can get.

But there are always manufacturing variations. It may be that your unit is slightly different from the ones I traced. More data is good.

A friend gave me a broken Trem Face circuit board many years ago. I managed to get it working (and re-housed in a boring square enclosure!) from the RG schem and from reading the TF thread on DIY Stompboxes. The schem matches my TF perfectly. Great trem effect, but talk about shitty bypassed sound, jeez!

Bernardduur
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by Bernardduur »

R.G. wrote:

Schematic of my unit

FET is a BF245B; transistor is a BC148C. Zener had the numbers < TI2062 (or < T12062) on it; I guess the < shows the cathode.

Only weird thing is a 'cap' to ground on the input that has no other bearings then 27V; 10mA
Attachments
Dallas_tremface.jpg
Follow my love for pedals and amps on https://bernardduur.blogspot.com and https://www.instagram.com/bernardduur1

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

I think that this "cap" is not on the input, more likely on the output.
And I don´t think that it is a cap, more likely it is a VDR - for what reason ever....
Could you measure this component for DC-resistance and capacitance ?

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

I've a bunch of BF245 here... Am I right thinking that these are the "newer" BF244, especially with Bernarddur's schem? The datasheets are almost identical, the only difference is that I can't find any Noise Figure for the BF245 (which is given at 100MHz :roll: )...

May I add that I have read BC148 on the first pic with no doubt, confirmed by Bernaddur too. A NPN too (should work the same for phasing), but again, is this the older one, and did Dallas Arbiter used BC184 later on?
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

Bernardduur
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by Bernardduur »

analogguru wrote:I think that this "cap" is not on the input, more likely on the output.
And I don´t think that it is a cap, more likely it is a VDR - for what reason ever....
Could you measure this component for DC-resistance and capacitance ?

analogguru

It measures 99k; can't measure the capacitance.