Holden - FuzFaze 1975

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
edkoppel
Information

Post by edkoppel »

Hey guys,
I just realized that I never posted this in here and wanted to know what you think about it circuit-wise?

It's a Holden FuzFaze, out of New Zealand from the mid 70's (1975 I think).
The fuzz part is particularly loud and brutal while the phaser part, which appears to be a Phase 90 clone, can switch into chorus and pitch vibrato!
IMG_3915.jpg

let me know if you need any more info/photos.

thanks as always! :thumbsup
-Ed
Tone Machines: vintage effects blog:
http://tonemachines.blogspot.com/

chicago_mike
Tube Twister
Information

Post by chicago_mike »

YAY Green Meanies! I'm going to get one of those 400 piece kits off of eBay because I LOVE cheese! :P

Oh, and yeah, please post more photos!
Skyline FX 2013

wildschwein
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by wildschwein »

Wow, do you know the full name of the maker? I have an uncle in NZ with the surname Holden who made fuzz pedals for local musos in the '70s -- just wondering.

edkoppel
Information

Post by edkoppel »

wildschwein wrote:Wow, do you know the full name of the maker? I have an uncle in NZ with the surname Holden who made fuzz pedals for local musos in the '70s -- just wondering.
wow that is pretty awesome! I wonder if it's the same?

here's the story from effectsdatabase:
"Ron Holden started the business in the mid sixties, at first custom building valve guitar and bass amplifiers from a small room upstairs in front of his father's photography studio.

His big break came when a local Christchurch music shop called Beggs agreed to purchase his first production 100 watt guitar/bass heads and quad boxes in 1967. News soon travelled around the country - these new amplifiers were powerful beasts with two channels and tremelo. They were called Holden Wasp and looked like a fender with a sloping control panel front and Fender style grill cloth etc.

Encouraged by the runaway success, Ron sat down and completely redesigned the chassis and cabinet style (more like a Marshall) and expanded his range with several new models.

About this time Ron shifted into much larger premises and employed most of the professional musicians of Christchurch, winding transformers,assembling chassis and building speaker cabinets.

Mike Lewis (recently emigrated from Great Britain), a fine guitarist and general nice guy invested money in Ron's business and sales soared. Mike brought many ideas and a very nice Vox AC30 and Gibson SG Special with him.

In the mid seventies, Ron Holden, suffering from ill health, sold Holden to Mike, and moved across to Australia. There he formed another Company called Holden Wasp International with Ian Johnstone (who started the Wasp company in 1967), which was mainly involved with importing and distributing components and parts for amplifiers and cabinets.

Mike continued to expand the line of products under the Holden name until Holden Sound Industries simply shut up shop and called it a day in the late 80's, early 90's."

edkoppel
Information

Post by edkoppel »

chicago_mike wrote:YAY Green Meanies! I'm going to get one of those 400 piece kits off of eBay because I LOVE cheese! :P

Oh, and yeah, please post more photos!
I'll take some more photos tomorrow.
Thanks for the reply! :thumbsup