Inga - (soviet) Fuzz wah pedal

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...

Inga - (soviet) Fuzz wah pedal

Postby Bernardduur » 03 Aug 2015, 09:47

Effects database entry. My unit is red. The date of this pedal is unknown to me. On the potmeters there are writings that may be date codes (between '75 and '81).......

I got this pedal when I bought some pedals from a friend; it was not fully functional and he knew I love these kind of mysteries. The origin of the pedal is unknown to me. I guess some Russian-like country as all signs are cyrillic. The signs on the outside of the pedal are crossed out so I can't really make it out. On the above posted website they are easy to read. Then again, I don't understand them :). Not much can be found online about these pedals (then again, maybe I'm not searching right).

The pedal is mainly a positive ground fuzz and wah pedal loaded with (I think) PNP transistors. All markings are gone from the transistors except for one. It is loaded with a crude DC jack (barrel style, 2,1mm) and plastic jacks that looks like they were added later (my best guess is that it was fitted with DIN jacks as the size of the holes + the extra holes for the screws are still there). Inside all is still original (except maybe for one capacitor that looks too new and modern). The orientation of the jacks is like a boss pedal (right is in, left is out).
When engaged the pedal is always functioning as a wah pedal. The wah effect can't be turned off. The switch located underneath the threadle turns the fuzz on and off. Maybe it was modded this way (and the switch should engage both the wah as the fuzz), but I'm not sure. All soldering looked the same (old and dusty). The wah functions the other way around when compared to a Crybaby or Vox. The fuzz is crude and not functioning well (the tone knob cuts all volume on the treble side) and the fuzz sounds misbiased.

I drew a circuit of the pedal. The trimpot lets you alter the frequency in the heel down position (most treble). My best guess is that the capacitor network around the wah potmeter determines the heel and toe frequencies. The design of the wah pedal is unlike I've seen before..... but hey, I've also never seen a PNP wah before :)

Enjoy!

Inga - Wah.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'No more....... loud music.......'

For this message the author Bernardduur has received thanks: 2
Blitz Krieg (04 Aug 2015, 06:47), jrod (03 Aug 2015, 17:19)
Bernardduur
Transistor Tuner

Have thanks: 465 times

Re: Inga - (soviet) Fuzz wah pedal

Postby Bernardduur » 05 Dec 2015, 10:46

OK, I did a lot to this unit;

- Made it true bypass with a relais; original switching left intact
- Added a 4p3t switch so I can choose to engage the fuzz, wah or both
- Soldered the potmeter the other way around so I can use it as a normal wah

The wah now functions very good. There is a whistle in it in the middle position I can't really get rid of. The turn of the potmeter is mininum to make the effect work; when I soldered the potmeter the other way I also needed to reorient the turning of the potmeter by loosening the parts around the potmeter. In the end, it works perfectly!

As for the fuzz, it sounded misbiased and wrong. Nu usuable sounds to be gotten from it. When I checked the voltages, Q2 was around -7V (-8.9 was the supply voltage). I first removed the 13k resistor on the emitter of Q2 and then lowered the 30k resistor to 15k. With this, the voltages are around 4.5V and the fuzz sounds really nice! Big, fat, middy and the added tone control does wonders!!
'No more....... loud music.......'

For this message the author Bernardduur has received thanks:
d312a (05 Dec 2015, 14:00)
Bernardduur
Transistor Tuner

Have thanks: 465 times

Return to Vintage Stompbox Corner ( ... - 1975)