Help identify effect / UniVibe or RotoVibe?

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
L Bell
Information

Post by L Bell »

Can anyone identify this vintage effect, which is used on various recordings from the 1960/70s?

Eric Clapton used this gritty, chorusy-Leslie kind of effect on the album 'Blind Faith'. I don't think it is regular flanging.

The song 'Well All Right' has it pretty up front on both lead and chordal guitar. You can also hear it on the guitar, in the track 'In the presence of the Lord'.

Something similar, but not exactly the same, was used on the song 'Badge' by the group "Cream".

I also hear it on the guitar arpeggio intro to that old standard "It Don't Come Easy" (Ringo Starr or Badfinger?)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

L Bell
Information

Post by L Bell »

I just recalled a really clear example of the sound.

The guitar intro in the song "I've Been Used", from the Jeff Beck Group's 1971 release, "Rough and Ready".

It's kind of warbly, shimmering, and grungy at the same time.

idy
Breadboard Brother
Information
Completed builds: FFs, Octavias, TBMKIIIs, Buzzarounds/alikes, Axis Fuzz', CS Overdriver, BMPs, Black '65s, MOSFETODs, WiiO, RAH, Klons, AC30, DLS, TSs and many variants, Small Clones, UniVibes, E. Mistress, Mutron Env Filter, Ross/Dynacomps,, EA Trems, TremLunes, Katana Boosters, BYOC Tri Boosters, other boosters and buffers, PT2399 delays, SKRM based delays, Belton Brick Reverbs, 3band parametric EQ,

Post by idy »

Leslie for sure with Clapton/Harrison. Beck too, I think, although he uses a simulator now.

chimbono1
Information

Post by chimbono1 »

you could get a sim version of the effect on the digitech clapton sig pedal
Hendrix at times used a homemade rotary(also on a digi sig)
The rotary on badge and don't come easy are similar cos harrison played them

nooneknows
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by nooneknows »

itìs a Leslie.

If you want a weirdly good leslie on a budget sound get a 2nd hand digitech Crossroad pedal: it's a clapton signature awful (yes, awful) attempt to reproduce a number of Clapton distinctive sounds, BUT the 'Badge' position is worth the cost of the pedal, it's the only usable of all the 5 or 6 but I was tempted to put it on my pedalboard just for that one, it is that good (I end up using a new Tc Electronic Viscous Vibe, that is almost a 1:1 recreation of a univibe)

L Bell
Information

Post by L Bell »

nooneknows wrote:itìs a Leslie.

If you want a weirdly good leslie on a budget sound get a 2nd hand digitech Crossroad pedal
Thanks nooneknows, and to everyone else for your suggestions!

I've always wanted to kick in that sound when playing Badge in public. The chorus setting in my V-Ampire is not even close, but people don't seem to mind.
OFF-TOPIC
Does anyone else like the ultraverb setting in the V-Amp systems? It sure blows my old Quadraverb away. An example of it is on the guitar track in the movie 'About a Son', which is a limited release movie about Kurt Cobain, with the only voice being his.

I don't know who is playing it, but it sure sounds like a giant tank; really long release. Good for soft noodleing, chording.
Thanks again, people!

chimbono1
Information

Post by chimbono1 »

better yet,get the hendrix digitech sig It's got his custom rotary,and a univibe,plus wahs and the whole package

chimbono1
Information

Post by chimbono1 »

for a cheap alternative,the danelectro vibe is good It's got real bulbs and ldr's,and can be tweaked to get all sorts