EHX - Low Frequency Compressor  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

pedalgrinder wrote: I can't say iam a big fan of transconductance amplifier compressor they just don't do it for me.
if you look carefully at the schematic, you'll see that the OTA is used in the negative feedback loop of the op-amp - the gain of the OTA is increased to reduce the gain of the op-amp. The use of the 3080 in this way overcomes many of the limitations of the OTA (and keeps that nasty device out of the signal path). The range of gain control is limited (compared to an OTA in the signal path like the Dynacomp) but the quality is substantially higher!
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

pedalgrinder
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Ampeg SVT
Completed builds: pedals with pots switches and everything

Post by pedalgrinder »

what do you think putting it in the feedback path eliminates the hiss. I've tried both very little difference yes it does decrease the hiss and crap slightly in the feedback path. But basically it sounds like shit. The transistor would sound way better. In my opinion. I've tried both and i know which one i would pick. Putting in the feedback doesn't change much noise wise. if anything you lose more control of the unit.
What's the best thing about fat chicks and scooters? There both fun to ride around until your mates find out!

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

:thumbsup Got one BlackFinger here...same PCB as 2 IC lowFreqCompressor.........
Attachments
blackfingerlowfreq.GIF
flippde pcb.jpg
EH blackfingerpcb component.jpg

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

there are different versions.....not 100% correct.........some resistor values........

Lucaslz
Information

Post by Lucaslz »

Hello, I’m new here, so greeting to all. I know this thread is old but I need some help fixing an early EHX Black Finger Distortion Free Sustainer (3 knobs in triangle version). There are no Ic’s inside, just transistors. My problem is that the initial signal cuts out with a loud pop then it comes back in with the sustain, every new note played cuts out then comes back in. I was hoping to find a schematic but nothing here seems to match up.
Cheers,
Lucas

Lucaslz
Information

Post by Lucaslz »

Hello again, I had a look at the transistors and tried to read them. They are all round and black with 3 legs except for one larger round silver can with 8 legs. I will list all the lettering and numbers I could read.
List,
748CE 7209. 8 pin
FS37006 206, three of these
FS37000 143
FS36959 143, two of these
FS36999 143

I can’t find any information on them. I think the F stands for Fairchild.
Any ideas?

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

The 748 is an Op Amp, sounds like it's this version download/file.php?id=457&mode=view

Your issue sounds like a bad electro, just replace them all, they're 40+ years old at this point.

Lucaslz
Information

Post by Lucaslz »

Thanks for the response Scruffie. I think you are right about the op-amp. The schematic you provided has a lot of similarities and will be useful but it looks like I will have to trace my own schematic. I actually did change all the electrolytics, ( 10uf, 1uf, and three 5uf’s) but it looks like I missed a small one under the tone pot. To me it seems like a over clipped signal which is being shunted, so my suspicion is a bad transistor or out of spec resistor.
Correction; the 748 can has 7 pins and not 8!
Cheers
Lucas

vergadehule
Information

Post by vergadehule »

Hello everyone!

i know its an old thread, but seems that all image attachments are broken,,,,, can't find the final corrected and working schematic or layout, etc... if somehow, anyone happens to have them around and wanna re-upload them ,, would be a great help !!! cheers and thanks in advance!!

vergadehule
Information

Post by vergadehule »

:troll:
Hi branleur... Do tou still have the final pcb and schematic of this one ??

Cheers!!
branleur wrote: 04 Feb 2010, 20:05 I've drawn a PCB for the EHX LFC. After some disagrement, the LFC seems to work.

I use old low gain transistor (like 2n1711, 2n2905...). Hight gain transistor do not match with the LFC. I use 741 IC. I mods the "sustain" pot from 100k to 1Meg. But the LFC compresse a lot. It can also have some "pump" effect . Something still go wrong :cry: . I did not use 741HC IC, but another 741. I try using TL071, but did not work. Still thinking about the last problem

The filter section working very well :D .

I also use special voltage regulator of my own. It can make +V and -V very symetrical.

The PCB can be placed in hammond 1590C

I will post PCB and schematic, when the LFC works well

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

vergadehule wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 21:03 :troll:
Hi branleur... Do tou still have the final pcb and schematic of this one ??
Cheers!!
Branieur was last active on 29 Sep 2012, 09:39 so it's pretty doubtful that you will get a response from him.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012