Schaller Fuzz/Wah schematic?

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
ranjam
Information

Post by ranjam »

Has anyone seen any type of schematic for the Schaller wah/sustain or wah/fuzz? I have one DOA, and I can find quite a few issues with it. However, having a schematic would sure save me time and effort. Below is a gut shot, and the first thing that scares me is the two 4PDT footswitches. :shock:
I'd really like to know what the two trim pots do, but getting it working at all is a priority. Thanks for any tips.
'You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.'

Mich P
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Mich P »

Those switches are not 4pdt but a simple dpdt !

ranjam
Information

Post by ranjam »

I made a mistake typing; they appear to be 4PST switches. The one switch I can jumper and make the wah or the fuzz work to the point that I think I know what the switch is doing. But a DPDT switch would have six terminals; this has eight, and the way they are grouped and marked on the housing makes me believe it is 4PST. There are markings like 'P', 'P1' ad so on. That's what made me jumper the like groupings. Doing just 'P' as an example, I heard wah, but very, very faint. Jumpering P and P1 gave me full output wah. So I know the switch is kaput. Well, I am trying to take it apart and see if I can resurrect it. But a schematic may tell me how to use a simple DPDT by grouping connections that don't make a full fuzz or wah. But I also guess if that was possible, Schaller would have done it themselves already. Oh, and jumpering P1 but leaving P open gives me a volume pedal. It's showing promise.
I could trace it, but that's a lot of work, and I am lazy. I have a tub of 'someday I may fix this' pedals. If I ever get it fixed, awesome. If not, it's still cool looking, and a nifty conversion piece.
'You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.'

NickS
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by NickS »

Interesting gut shot of the RMC 3FL+ wah at this website http://jbwid.com/guitar/wahwhawau.htm shows a similar switch and from the wiring yes, it's clear that one press connects each pair of tabs on one side and another press connects each pair of tabs on the other side. That could be simulated with a 4PDT switch, connecting the centre tags of poles 1 & 2 and those of poles 3 & 4.

A clone of the Schaller appears to be here:
http://www.hendrixguitars.com/Ef244.htm