Vintage Bad stone phaser,anybody in the EU up for a project?

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
czech-one-2
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by czech-one-2 »

Hi, I'm in Prague,CZ and am writing to request some assistance/advice.
Here's the story, I was recently scammed/ripped off on a local bazaar. The seller was selling a vintage Bad Stone phaser and pretended to not be a musician or know anything about the effect. He said he had no way of testing it. All good so far, even if it wasn't working I was willing to get it working. So I asked him for a photo of the inside of the pedal and he sent me one of an original version board in great condition. [Pic attached with the red wires].Well when I received it it was completely different and totally screwed. Obviously it doesn't work either. I can try to pursue legal means of getting my money back since he provided a false photo, but that would leave this beautiful old Bad Stone destined for the trash.
Any of you out there willing to take on such a project? It does pass signal with a slight phasing audible so its not 100% DOA....but it is a nightmare.
It is a RARE version of this pedal, but it would be way beyond my skill set to restore it.

czech-one-2
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by czech-one-2 »

What the heck are those plastic communist era jacks? And its hooked up to only one battery snap, I thought these were 18v pedals?And that extra small pcb, is that original or some kind of add on?
If there is one positive thing, the traces look to be ok and the solder joints not lifting....but I'm really reaching for something positive to say.... :slap:

czech-one-2
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by czech-one-2 »

Well, I just got a message from the great Analoguru and boy do I feel like a sucker. My pedals says Electro Harmonics...not Harmonix.
Looks like another fall from the turnip truck for me...

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

It seems to be an identical PCB copy of the later 9V Bad Stone (uses a 4009 rather than FETs like the one in the other model) I would guess the little daughter board is an output boost seeing as these have a volume drop.

I'm in the EU and could take a crack at fixing it but it might not be as hard as it looks for you to repair.

czech-one-2
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by czech-one-2 »

Hey Scruffie, thx 4 the reply. :) Looks like I will be able to return it after all. Paid around $100.00 for it so as much as I'd like to here it working I don't think it is worth it for me. I can give your contact to the guy that sold it to me if you want, somebody should fix it!