Ibanez Wau Fuzz / Superfuzz

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
Aaron323
Information

Post by Aaron323 »

I have just got ahold of an old unbranded wau wau fuzz same as the ibanez and aria etc. It has the older wfp-1 pcb not the newer elk pcb.

So its basically the same as Ibanez standard fuzz with a colorsound type wah as a separate circuit. Main difference the colorsound wah has 0.01uf input cap and the Ibanez has 10uf. Not sure what that's all about? Any other mods for the wah circuit?

Both circuits work together whereas some threads here I have read they have a few issues with volume drop etc. I have done the mentioned mod for that by removing / jumpering the 47k resistor before the 100k volume pot. I see that part of the circuit has a 100k resistor over it cutting the pot down to 50k same as the superfuzz. Maybe an excess of 100k pots at factory?

Just wondering whether anyone here has tried to change the tone circuit after the 2 clipping diodes to the same as the superfuzz circuit? Rather than just switching the 0.1uf cap on or off for the mid scoop. Any other mods you guys know of? Mids pot instead of the 2 setting switch?

Has anyone tried replacing all the 10uf caps with 0.1uf or 0.15uf like a big muff?

I have a schematic from analogguru 2003.
superfuzz_standardfuzz_diffs.gif
Attachments
ibanezwaufuzz.png
ibanezwaufuzz.png (192.28 KiB) Viewed 1293 times

Aaron323
Information

Post by Aaron323 »

Something like this?
supermuff.gif
supermuff.gif (8.88 KiB) Viewed 1264 times
Big muff tone stack of a civil war 20k and 22k resistors? Or you could go rams head 39k and 39k for less mid scoop.
Modify the expander to a 100k tone pot and change the last output 100k resistor to a 100k pot for volume control?