Transition Vox Wah - Halo inductor in need of a rewind?

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
vintagecharlie
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by vintagecharlie »

Hi folks!

I scored a transition period Vox Wah for dirt cheap. I did not expect much (at that price) and despite the OK cosmetic condition, it really sounds far from what it should sound like - it goes from a less trebly sound to a more trebly sound ,without the vovel-like qualities. I inspected the PCB and parts, which is almost all original, except for the 4uF electrolytic that is changed to a 33uF (far too high). Other than that it seemed fine.
So i measured the inductor (in circuit). It reads about 160mH. My McCoy wah clone measures 480mH (in circuit). Does this mean that the Inductor has a short somewhere and needs a rewind?

What kind of wire and thickness should be used for an authentic rewind?

Thanks!

VintageCharlie

ppluis0
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by ppluis0 »

Hi Charlie,

Try to unsolder at least one end of that inductor and measure again the inductance in order to have the correct number.

The value that you have obtained is surely affected by other components present at the board wich appear in parallel wit that coil.

Cheers,
Jose