Shin-ei Mute Box  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
Addy Bart
Information
Completed builds: Shinei FY-2, D*A*M Meathead, Mid-Fi Electronics Deluxe Pitch Pirate, Clarinot, Demo Tape Fuzz, Random Number Generator, Wattson EFY-6, Smallsound/Bigsound Mini, DBA Reverberation Machine, Parasit Studio Raygun Youth, Vox Repeat Percussion, 1776 Multiplex Echo Machine, David Rolo Twin Peaks, Giant Hogweed, Devi Ever Soda Meiser, ZVEX Machine, SHO, Fat Fuzz Factory.

Post by Addy Bart »

Saw this on a local listing and thought it might be of interest here.
Attachments
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
schematic
schematic

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Schematic appears to omit the actual filter section :scratch: I can't see how the envelope controls the filter sweep
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

tube-exorcist
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by tube-exorcist »

Nocentelli wrote:Schematic appears to omit the actual filter section :scratch: I can't see how the envelope controls the filter sweep
Hmmm... maybe the led illuminates a double LDR which is symbolized by 4 dots inside a circle (in the left lower corner - in parallel to R19, R20) ?
"I've noticed there's an inverse relationship between cost of gear and talent. If you need the most expensive gear to get decent tones, then you suck as a player."

Addy Bart
Information
Completed builds: Shinei FY-2, D*A*M Meathead, Mid-Fi Electronics Deluxe Pitch Pirate, Clarinot, Demo Tape Fuzz, Random Number Generator, Wattson EFY-6, Smallsound/Bigsound Mini, DBA Reverberation Machine, Parasit Studio Raygun Youth, Vox Repeat Percussion, 1776 Multiplex Echo Machine, David Rolo Twin Peaks, Giant Hogweed, Devi Ever Soda Meiser, ZVEX Machine, SHO, Fat Fuzz Factory.

Post by Addy Bart »

tube-exorcist wrote:
Nocentelli wrote:Schematic appears to omit the actual filter section :scratch: I can't see how the envelope controls the filter sweep
Hmmm... maybe the led illuminates a double LDR which is symbolized by 4 dots inside a circle (in the left lower corner - in parallel to R19, R20) ?
I think you're right. I found a discussion about these 4 dots here, and it appears to be a dual photoconductive cell.

http://archive.ampage.org/threads/1/fxs ... III-1.html

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

It seems to be a virtually the same as the Mutron III, which uses a dual LDR/single LED optocoupler - Marked with the question mark in the pic below:

modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...