EHX - Soulpreacher  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

Here are guts of the original
:thumbsup
Attachments
1a.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
4.JPG (31.69 KiB) Viewed 7810 times

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

schematic
Attachments
Electro_Harmonix_Soul_Preacher.pdf
EHX Soul Preacher schematic
(34.1 KiB) Downloaded 646 times

trad3mark
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vox Valvetronix Series
Completed builds: Super Hard On
Fuzz Factory
Aenima/Torn's Peaker (2 in 1 box with toggle switch)
Valvecaster Deluxe (Boost before VC)
Proco Rat (Mod to power jack, and input cap changed)
87% PillowStone
87% GlassJaw

Post by trad3mark »

Hey all,

Searched for this, but there doesn't seem to be a thread. Apologies if there is!! Just wondering if anyone has one of these or has built one? I'm looking at building a compressor with the parts that i have and this one seems mighty nice. The schematic is all over the web, and there's two drawings of it:

Drawing 1:

Drawing 2:
http://www.schematics.ca/modules/PDdown ... 67&lid=473

It looks pretty simple, and from listening to it and trying it out in the shop, it seems like a nice straightforward one to go for. From working through it to make a vero out of, i've noticed one or two things so far that maybe people can shed some light on?

First up, the voltage biasing. I ran a sim of this in Yenka, and it was grand. Thing is though, if i'm trying to make a small vero, there's easier way to bias 9v to getting +9v and +4.5v. I don't see any problem with using an easier method, right?
Secondly, if you look at the input stage, where the switching for True bypass is, there's a buffer before. Is this really necessary? (without getting into the debate of "are buffers necessary at all?")

won't get a chance to breadboard this for a bit, but if it sounds as awesome as the originals looked (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3053/280 ... 09.jpg?v=0) then i'm sold.

tm

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

trad3mark wrote:
First up, the voltage biasing. I ran a sim of this in Yenka, and it was grand. Thing is though, if i'm trying to make a small vero, there's easier way to bias 9v to getting +9v and +4.5v. I don't see any problem with using an easier method, right?

Secondly, if you look at the input stage, where the switching for True bypass is, there's a buffer before. Is this really necessary? (without getting into the debate of "are buffers necessary at all?")

tm
First - Electro Harmonix never wasted any components - there's a reason for the use of every part! The reason for the more complicated biasing circuit is that it will have lower noise than a simple resistor voltage divider and can use a lower value capacitor for the 4.5 Volt rail.

The buffer is a good idea before the compressor stage - it isolates the gain reduction circuit from the preceding device (whether a guitar or another effects unit). You could put your bypass switching before the buffer if you really want, but I find it's good to have that buffer to provide a known, low output impedance, which is similar to the output impedance of the compressor itself, so there's no loading change when it's switched in or out.
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

dajm
Information

Post by dajm »

here's a link to a pcb layout over at diystompboxes.com that may be of use, I don't know if it's verified.

pcb - http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main. ... P.gif.html

layout - http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main. ... T.gif.html

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

I made one 5 years ago

borislav

Bernardduur
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: Welagen - ODR

Post by Bernardduur »

Anyone has any info on the 3080 version of the SP???? I have one in my Big Muff Deluxe and it sounds really flat; everything is squised
'No more....... loud music.......'
Follow my love for pedals and amps on https://bernardduur.blogspot.com and https://www.instagram.com/bernardduur1

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

Bernardduur wrote:Theads should be merged!
Done! :wink:
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

Bernardduur wrote:Theads should be merged!

Anyone has any info on the 3080 version of the SP???? I have one in my Big Muff Deluxe and it sounds really flat; everything is squised
that is similar to blackfinger or lowfrequency compressor?
https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... or&start=0

or is it like in deluxe octave multiplexer....
http://sites.google.com/site/electrocon ... actory.jpg

boris :block:

Bernardduur
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by Bernardduur »

This is simplification of the comperssor in the Big Muff Deluxe; a OTA based Soul Preacher
Attachments
Soul preacher.JPG
Follow my love for pedals and amps on https://bernardduur.blogspot.com and https://www.instagram.com/bernardduur1

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

there are clippers on the output?
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

RnFR wrote:there are clippers on the output?
There have to be! They don't clip very much at all - they're there to handle the "overshoot" of the compressor. The compressor has a fairly slow attack, so the initial peaks can get chopped off by the diodes.

pedalgrinder
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Ampeg SVT
Completed builds: pedals with pots switches and everything

Post by pedalgrinder »

has anyone tried this pedal on a bass curious as to how it would be on bass
What's the best thing about fat chicks and scooters? There both fun to ride around until your mates find out!

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by mictester »

pedalgrinder wrote:has anyone tried this pedal on a bass curious as to how it would be on bass
Yes. It's horrible.

It's pretty bad with a guitar too, but much worse with a bass!

pedalgrinder
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by pedalgrinder »

yeah by looking at it would distort and respond by like shit the type of attenuation and side chain looked average
What's the best thing about fat chicks and scooters? There both fun to ride around until your mates find out!

Bernardduur
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by Bernardduur »

The OTA version doesn't sound THAT bad on bass....... it gives it a nice squish and a nice expression on the low notes..... just maybe for me too much squish!!!

pedalgrinder
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by pedalgrinder »

wheres the schematic for the ota version i've never seen it any chance you could post it or email it to me. I'd love to see it cheers

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: HIWATT motherfucker!

Post by phibes »

pedalgrinder wrote:wheres the schematic for the ota version i've never seen it any chance you could post it or email it to me. I'd love to see it cheers
Search the forum for the Electro Harmonix Black Finger. I don't know how to link threads.
GuitarlCarl - "TGP = The Gear Polishers"

Image Ken

pedalgrinder
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by pedalgrinder »

hang on thats not a soulpreacher then it is a blackfinger i've seen that one. Different pedal. you said there was a ota version of a soulpreacher or since you wrote it in this thread call EH soulpreacher i assumed thats what you meant. Thanks anyway

pedalgrinder
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by pedalgrinder »

Actually while on the subject of different compressor's that EH made the the low frequency compressor would be a good one also i reckon. Transistor attenuation i've found i like the response and warmth when a transistor attenuates it.