Tone Bender MKII - Sustain

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
bobele3
Information

Post by bobele3 »

Hi, that’s my first tonebender build and I’m think I’ll ask for help.

Actually it’s working good but I’m not sure how long this effect should sustain.
Below test with humbuckers. Is it normal for this unit? I’ve used fuzz central schematic and OC75 transistors with hfe 80-90-120 as Q1, Q2, Q3. Leckage about .23

plush
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by plush »

bobele3 wrote:Hi, that’s my first tonebender build and I’m think I’ll ask for help.

Actually it’s working good but I’m not sure how long this effect should sustain.
Below test with humbuckers. Is it normal for this unit? I’ve used fuzz central schematic and OC75 transistors with hfe 80-90-120 as Q1, Q2, Q3. Leckage about .23

It depends on how long your guitar can sustain a note at a reasonable level and how hot your pickups are.

bobele3
Information

Post by bobele3 »

Pickups are PRS Dragon II, guitar is PRS Custom 24, can sustain quite long. I've actually solve this by adding second 100k resistor in parallel to Q2 collector (value about 50K instead of 100K), and replacing 8K2 by 18K resistor (Q3 collector is now on 8V).

Omg this thing is super hot! Best fuzz I've ever played! Now I know why so many people want it ;)

drewl
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by drewl »

What does the original ad for the Supafuzz say in the Marshall Amp book, a "full 19 seconds of sustain" or something like that?

How'd they measure that I wonder. :shock:

Sir Fayzalot
Information

Post by Sir Fayzalot »

drewl wrote:What does the original ad for the Supafuzz say in the Marshall Amp book, a "full 19 seconds of sustain" or something like that?

First version had a modified Tone Bender mkI circuit.

http://www.bigmuffpage.com/The_Tonebend ... ine_2.html

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Electric Warrior »

Sir Fayzalot wrote:
drewl wrote:What does the original ad for the Supafuzz say in the Marshall Amp book, a "full 19 seconds of sustain" or something like that?

First version had a modified Tone Bender mkI circuit.

http://www.bigmuffpage.com/The_Tonebend ... ine_2.html

But by 1967 they were certainly using the MKII circuit.