Rosac - Nu Fuzz

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
Solidhex
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Solidhex »

Yo

Figured we had talked enough about the Nu-Fuzz in the Nu-wah thread. Time for a dedicated thread about the Nu-Fuzz. So where did we leave off? Dan N had posted this schem: Image
We had previously discussed the odd resistor values and speculated that they could possibly be the result of in circuit resistor measurement? Ron Neely you had mentioned that you had talked to the man responsible for busting open his Rosac wafer and making those measurements...
I'd say its safe to say the capacitor values are correct. They make sense. The resistor values are the strange ones. I measured the resistors of my fuzzrite clone in circuit see if it would shed any light. They are all 470K's. Q1's base to collector gives me 457K. Q1 collector resistor measures 460K. Q2's base to collector measures 470K exactly. The collector resistor measures 460K. So the circuit doesn't seem to mask the resistor values when measured in circuit. Its probably safe to assume this isn't a Fuzzrite...
So we got a 626K, a 788K, a 1.2 meg, 740K, and series string of 48.1K and 2.7K in parallel with the 500k volume pot. I'm not too concerned with the 48.1k/2.7K combo but the rest sort of leaves me with a headache. If we're dealing with 20% tolerance transistors that leaves a pretty wide spread.

--Brad
Attachments
Rosac - NuFuzz schematic
Rosac - NuFuzz schematic

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

yeah this schem is wierd. those collector values seem way too big.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

Dan N
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Dan N »

While it seems a pity to waste another circuit module, I'll offer one to sacrifice for a detailed dissection. I would want to see photos of the resulting inner structure if possible.
Dick joke has expired.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

well i'll be the first to say-

that is pretty fucking awesome!

and i'm even volunteering soulsonic's degooping/tracing services... as long as he does it at my house! :mrgreen:
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

Solidhex
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Solidhex »

Yo

Wow Dan that is awesome.

--Brad

Dan N
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Dan N »

So, paging soulsonic. PM me your address.
Dick joke has expired.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

i talked to SS. he said he's down to do it, but he won't have time until some time next month. is this kosher?

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

Dan N
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Dan N »

Ko-ko-kosherific.

Let me know when it's a go. Thanks to ss.
Dick joke has expired.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

sweet! expect a pm.

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

I'll dissolve it with my pee! [smilie=a_wizard.gif]
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

teehee! [smilie=a_bow.gif]

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

got it in the mail from dan tha man! now somebody buy a pedal from martin so he can get his hairy, broke, rasputin-lookin ass to chicago.

maybe, if you ask real nice, he'll add a lock of his beard for extra mojo! [smilie=a_wizard.gif]

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

I used to have a schemo for this somewhere ...not the hand drawn one. I'll see if I can dig it up. Basically it was the same thing, just had the resistor values (not measured values) as you would buy them (ie 750k on Q1, Q2 collectors) .

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

just want to give a head's up-

i got the circuit in the mail a while back from dan. unfortunately martin has been busy renovating his new home, so he hasn't been able to make it up. i might have to give this one a go by myself. it seems simple enough. i'll at least give a shot at getting it out of the goop and take some pics. shouldn't be tough reverse though. hopefully i'll have something to post about it soon. thanks everyone for being patient!

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

rosac nufuzz clone sold on ebay. sounds like he used the schematic posted here. there's a clip in the auction, too.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0167974597

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

bunnycat
Information

Post by bunnycat »

:oops: (holding breath)

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

RnFR wrote:got it in the mail from dan tha man! now somebody buy a pedal from martin so he can get his hairy, broke, rasputin-lookin ass to chicago.

maybe, if you ask real nice, he'll add a lock of his beard for extra mojo! [smilie=a_wizard.gif]
Anything new ?

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

floobydust
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vox AC30
Completed builds: Too Many!

Post by floobydust »

Was a friend of the guy who designed this- Eddie Sanner. He designed most of the effects for Mosrite and Rosac in the 1960's out of Bakersfield, California.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

this thing has been sitting on my bench for ages now. i was going to wait for martin, but i think i'll just start hacking into this thing myself. i really need to invest in some sort of dental pick or other sharp instrument. the only thing is, that i might not have a proper camera to give it a go. it might be possible for me to get my hands on my girlfriend's super nice digital slr though. sorry to dan and everyone else for this taking so long. i'll start scraping this clay like substance away soon. anyone know an easy way to get this shit off?

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

jrod
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jrod »

Do you have Harbor Freight in your town? Maybe these: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=93514