Rosac - Nu Fuzz

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
agoldoor
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by agoldoor »

RnFR wrote:this thing has been sitting on my bench for ages now. i was going to wait for martin, but i think i'll just start hacking into this thing myself. i really need to invest in some sort of dental pick or other sharp instrument. the only thing is, that i might not have a proper camera to give it a go. it might be possible for me to get my hands on my girlfriend's super nice digital slr though. sorry to dan and everyone else for this taking so long. i'll start scraping this clay like substance away soon. anyone know an easy way to get this shit off?
Did you end up ever digging in to Dan's NuFuzz? This thread was such a tease! =)

Effectsiation
Information

Post by Effectsiation »

a serious tease

WCraigConrey
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vox AC15 CCX

Post by WCraigConrey »

Well... it's a 'school night' and I'm a wee pissed... so this may be way off.. but I took a shot at PCB'ing the hand-drawn schematic..

Please correct / modify / create pariah..
Attachments
Nu Fuzz stab in dark..
Nu Fuzz stab in dark..
Nu Fuzz PNG.png (10.41 KiB) Viewed 2827 times

WCraigConrey
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vox AC15 CCX

Post by WCraigConrey »

Is the 10uf on the switch a power filter-er or is it in the audio path?

sonniblechdach
Information

Post by sonniblechdach »

ratel
Information

Post by ratel »

I am the person who traced the Rosac chip. The oddball resistor values were measured individually,
that is separate from the circuit. Of course I had to destroy the chip to do that. I have made
several of these clones with various NPN's such as 2n4401, 2n3904, 2n5088, and they all sound
pretty similar. The values were measured with a Fluke DMM and I boldly guess are odd due to
the fabrication process. By the way, it took 2 days using dental picks. The transistors were
actual TO-92 case unmarked plastic. Hope this helps.

LucifersTrip
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Companion Psychedelic Machine
Completed builds: Mosrite Fuzzrite (Si), Mosrite Fuzzrite (Ge)[2], Get Lo-Fi Fuzz, Fuzz Face (Ge) [2], Fuzz Face (Si) [3], Mos-Face, Vox Tone Bender, Kay Tremolo, Os Mutantes Fuzz [2], Psychedelic Fuzz, Smokey Amp, Sunn Buzz, Jen Fuzz, Fancy Fuzzbox, Muff Fuzz (op amp) [2], Buzz Box, Fuzz King, Rangemaster [5], Maestro FZ - 2/3, Ruby Amp, Orpheum Fuzz (Ge) [4], Great Destroyer, Schizo, Carlsbro Suzz, Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz (si), DOD 250 Gray [2], Super Dirt Fuzz, Fuzz Factory, Jordan Boss Tone, Sam Ash Fuzzz Boxx, Heathkit TA-28 Fuzz, Olson New Sound Fuzz, LRE Fuzz Sound, Green Ringer, Vox Super Beatle (Ge), Colorsound One Knob (Ge), Demon Buzzz [2], Demon Wasp v1, Demon Wasp v2, Super Hard-On, Bazz Fuss, Burns Buzzaround [2], Selmer Buzztone, Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz (Ge), Fuzz Face/FY-2 (Ge), Zonk Machine, Univox Squarewave, Demon Fuzzz, Mosrite Fuzzrite BG-500/1000 (Ge), Univox Superfuzz, Marshall Supa Fuzz, Demon Monster, AA Overdrive/ Retro Fuzz, Tone Bender MKII, Psychtar, Jordan Vica Vibe, etc...

Post by LucifersTrip »

A schematic's gotta turn up soon since the reissue

http://www.hallmarkguitars.com/pedals/nu-fuzz.shtml

johnk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by johnk »

i just building one with 2N3904's and it sounds just like all of the video demos that i've heard of it.

here's my layout:
01-NU-Fuzz Layout.png
and here's my build:
NU-Fuzz-01.jpg

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Attachments
ebay listing
ebay listing
s-l1600-28.jpg
s-l1600-27.jpg
s-l1600-26.jpg
s-l1600-25.jpg
s-l1600-23.jpg
s-l1600-22.jpg
s-l1600-21.jpg
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

drewl
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by drewl »

That chip looks like the Sprague RC networks you find in 60's Gibson amps.