WEM - Project V  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
LaceSensor
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by LaceSensor »

I built the vero it worked fine.

capricorn_1
Information

Post by capricorn_1 »

Thanks for the kind words RE the Warmjet V, there are a few changes from the original, mainly losing the 2 switches, and a few other changes that didn't dramatically alter the sound while I was playing around with the circuit initially, oh and no inductor!
Stu Castledine did the PCB layout, he did a great job I think, I have sold a few of these to DIYers who have asked however I am down to my last few and need to do another run of them, would be more than happy to sell them to anybody who is interested.

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

capricorn_1 wrote:Stu Castledine did the PCB layout, he did a great job I think, I have sold a few of these to DIYers who have asked however I am down to my last few and need to do another run of them, would be more than happy to sell them to anybody who is interested.
I certainly am, and I'm sure many other would be. Please post on this thread when you have some available.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

astrobass
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by astrobass »

Nocentelli wrote:
capricorn_1 wrote:Stu Castledine did the PCB layout, he did a great job I think, I have sold a few of these to DIYers who have asked however I am down to my last few and need to do another run of them, would be more than happy to sell them to anybody who is interested.
I certainly am, and I'm sure many other would be. Please post on this thread when you have some available.
Seconded!

capricorn_1
Information

Post by capricorn_1 »

yeah will do, will probably be after xmas I would have thought.
Anybody else built one on tagboard?! :lol:
Attachments
DSCN1547.jpg

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

capricorn_1 wrote:yeah will do, will probably be after xmas I would have thought.
Anybody else built one on tagboard?! :lol:

Challenge taken

kaycee
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by kaycee »

astrobass wrote:
Nocentelli wrote:
Seconded!
Second, er.....seconded :D

jrod
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jrod »

capricorn_1 wrote:Thanks for the kind words RE the Warmjet V, there are a few changes from the original, mainly losing the 2 switches, and a few other changes that didn't dramatically alter the sound while I was playing around with the circuit initially, oh and no inductor!
Stu Castledine did the PCB layout, he did a great job I think, I have sold a few of these to DIYers who have asked however I am down to my last few and need to do another run of them, would be more than happy to sell them to anybody who is interested.
Count me in!

capricorn_1
Information

Post by capricorn_1 »

I have some on Ebay at the moment, I won't post the link as I don't want to be seen as spamming but if you do a search you'll find them!

lborl
Information

Post by lborl »

Hi. Sorry to necropost but I desperately want to build this fuzz - I love 'Baby's on Fire' - and I just had to sell my Tonebender on eBay. But I'm having trouble finding the 35th cut on the posted vero:
I can just about make out that there's a cut each in the middle of VR1 and VR2, so at the minute I can see 34. Can anyone please help me find the last one?

turbonigro
Information

Post by turbonigro »

lborl wrote:Hi. Sorry to necropost but I desperately want to build this fuzz - I love 'Baby's on Fire' - and I just had to sell my Tonebender on eBay. But I'm having trouble finding the 35th cut on the posted vero:
[ Image ]
I can just about make out that there's a cut each in the middle of VR1 and VR2, so at the minute I can see 34. Can anyone please help me find the last one?
I have tried to figure it out and counting 35 cuts. I just suppose you are not seeing the cut in D13 (4th row 13th column)

lborl
Information

Post by lborl »

Ah-ha! Yes. Thank you so much!

digi2t
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by digi2t »

Yes, that one is a bit hard to see. I'll make a note of it on the vero.

Thanks.
No matter how many times I cut it, it`s STILL too short!

https://www.deadendfx.com/

nightraven
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by nightraven »

Well it's been a long time coming :lol:

Does anyone need voltages, or something? Or was this done & dusted 5 years ago? :mrgreen:

Haven't got a guitar here at the moment but I'll be able to report back on the sound in a few days, if anyone's interested
https://fuzzboxes.org | authoritative and clickbait-free resource for 1960s fuzz pedals

capricorn_1
Information

Post by capricorn_1 »

WOW! Nice one!

digi2t
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by digi2t »

WOW....cool.

Maybe double check all the component values vis-à-vis the published schematic? That would be nice. I think there was a bit of a fog where the caps and resistors around the switches are concerned. If you could publish the voltages for all the transistor pins, it could help determine transistor gains as well.

Very nice score. Good on you! Happy New Year.
No matter how many times I cut it, it`s STILL too short!

https://www.deadendfx.com/

tremelo68
Information

Post by tremelo68 »

Just built one from the vero but all I'm getting is motor boating. Must be missing something but I've scoured the solder joints and don't see any problems. If I turn VR2 way down, I lose the motor boating and get a distorted signal but none of the controls do anything (volume, attack and both switches)...

Taking a few days away and will take another look at it then.

Professor SourTone
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Professor SourTone »

I have one of these, and the battery arrangement/clips/contacts suggests 18v using old school cylindrical batteries rather than 9v, which is what everyone seems to be running their versions on. Has this ever come up?

nightraven
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by nightraven »

The former owner of mine recalled using 8.4v Mallory batteries with it. The metal clasps for the batteries in this model are a size smaller than is usually fitted in early British effects (thus don't accomodate a PP4) and the fixed battery terminals screwed into the enclosure are exactly the right distance apart for two of those funky batteries running in series.
Stu Castledine was pretty receptive about this theory as well, observing how part of the Project V's schematic resembles a textbook example of an amplifier he found.
https://fuzzboxes.org | authoritative and clickbait-free resource for 1960s fuzz pedals

Professor SourTone
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Professor SourTone »