Systech - Harmonic Energizer  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
celadine
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by celadine »

fuzzca wrote:PS. I checked out the pdf schem but when I print it you need a microscope to read it....
1)open up the pdf viewer full screen
2)zoom in on the schematic until it fills the screen
3)open the print menu, i.e. the 1st step to printing the document as usual
4)there should be a sub-section of the window titled 'Print Range', change 'All' to 'Current view'
5)hit OK

This goes for any pdf, just beware that a massive border may be placed around the printed area, I dunno how to correct that. [smilie=a_upsidedown.gif]

PurplePeopleEater
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PurplePeopleEater »

fuzzca wrote:I can't see or hear jack shit on Joes link. I use XP and Firefox. I wanted to help Joe out with a vero layout for the Harmonic Energizer but with nothing to see I can't even begin!

If you want to be all "above the crowd" with your fantastic do it all Mac., it's not doing you any good!

PS. I checked out the pdf schem but when I print it you need a microscope to read it....
Odd. I have a PC with Firefox and I have no problem with the pictures or sound samples. Everything loads just fine.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

PurplePeopleEater wrote:
fuzzca wrote:I can't see or hear jack shit on Joes link. I use XP and Firefox. I wanted to help Joe out with a vero layout for the Harmonic Energizer but with nothing to see I can't even begin!

If you want to be all "above the crowd" with your fantastic do it all Mac., it's not doing you any good!

PS. I checked out the pdf schem but when I print it you need a microscope to read it....
Odd. I have a PC with Firefox and I have no problem with the pictures or sound samples. Everything loads just fine.
Ditto. You just have to click on the link to download or view it.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

i'm inputing the schem to eagle right now. nobody's done it yet right?

--------

i'm running into a problem-

eagle is saying that the first + input of the IC is pin 3, where on the schem it is pin 2. the neg input is switched as well.

so, is the signal into the positive or the negative input?
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

negative - inverting gain stage :wink:
bajaman
be kind to all animals - especially human beings

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

thanks baja!
--------

here's what i've got.

"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

joegore
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Little ones

Post by joegore »

Hi fuzzca — sorry you're browser's not behaving. Send me your email address, and I'll send you the clips directly. --Joe

joegore
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by joegore »

Okay, I'm'a display my ignorance:

In grizzlytone's perfboard layout, what do the blue and green indications with "W+CW" and "CCW" represent?

Thanks, grizzlytone.

So: has anyone built one? How does it SOUND?

I'll try to post a couple of the other pedals folks wanted to see this week.

Best,

Joe
Attachments
Picture 2.png

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

RnFR wrote:thanks baja!
--------

here's what i've got.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

PurplePeopleEater
Resistor Ronker
Information

RnFR wrote:thanks baja!
--------

here's what i've got.

I haven't completely checked it out, but the 10uf on the far right of your schematic is facing the wrong way. The "+" should be facing right.

EDIT: Actually, it looks like there are quite a few value differences as well (10n input cap, 470R instead of a 510R, etc)

PurplePeopleEater
Resistor Ronker
Information

Here's a PCB layout for the Harmonic Energizer. You can board mount the pots or run wires, whichever. The PCB size is 3 inches x 1 3/4 inches, so it will easily fit in a Hammond 1590BB sized enclosure. I used a TL074 (as in Grizz' vero layout) instead of using 2 TL022 op amps. It just keeps things neater and the sound difference should be marginal at most. It should be correct (Eagle checks connections), but if you see any errors, please let me know.
Attachments
HARMONIC ENERGIZER PCB LAYOUT.GIF
HARMONIC ENERGIZER PCB LAYOUT.GIF (48.74 KiB) Viewed 2734 times

fuzzca
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by fuzzca »

celadine wrote:
fuzzca wrote:PS. I checked out the pdf schem but when I print it you need a microscope to read it....
1)open up the pdf viewer full screen
2)zoom in on the schematic until it fills the screen
3)open the print menu, i.e. the 1st step to printing the document as usual
4)there should be a sub-section of the window titled 'Print Range', change 'All' to 'Current view'
5)hit OK

This goes for any pdf, just beware that a massive border may be placed around the printed area, I dunno how to correct that. [smilie=a_upsidedown.gif]
Thanks for the help Celadine. I've got the schem up to size now. Apologies for my incompetence and whiny demeanor!

fuzzca
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by fuzzca »

joegore wrote:Hi fuzzca — sorry you're browser's not behaving. Send me your email address, and I'll send you the clips directly. --Joe
Thanks for the offer Joe. I've got it happening now. I was a little computer challenged yesterday! When I saw the "loading" image I was expecting something to open on the screen. I just had to click the download button on the far right. Doh!

PurplePeopleEater
Resistor Ronker
Information

PurplePeopleEater wrote:Here's a PCB layout for the Harmonic Energizer. You can board mount the pots or run wires, whichever. The PCB size is 3 inches x 1 3/4 inches, so it will easily fit in a Hammond 1590BB sized enclosure. I used a TL074 (as in Grizz' vero layout) instead of using 2 TL022 op amps. It just keeps things neater and the sound difference should be marginal at most. It should be correct (Eagle checks connections), but if you see any errors, please let me know.
I forgot to show the board connections on the bottom of the layout. The layout attached below has them marked.
Attachments
HARMONIC ENERGIZER PCB LAYOUT.GIF
HARMONIC ENERGIZER PCB LAYOUT.GIF (49.28 KiB) Viewed 2708 times

grizzlytone
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by grizzlytone »

joegore wrote:Okay, I'm'a display my ignorance:

In grizzlytone's perfboard layout, what do the blue and green indications with "W+CW" and "CCW" represent?
Hi there, Glad you're up to trying it out. I guess my denotations is far from universal; cw,ccw, and w all refer connections for the potentiometers. (as seen from normal user side) cw for ClockWise soldering lug (i.e. max volume), ccw for CounterClockWise soldering lug, and w for Wiper soldering lug (the moving contact in between cw and ccw lugs.

While I'm at it:

Thanks Bajaman for clearing up the confusion on the first op-amp stage, I made a mistake -the numbers are right, the perfboard are correct but pin number 2 should have a minus sign since it is the inverting input instead of pin number 3 witch of course is the non inverting input. Another corrected pdf would just cloud things up in the thread and besides there's a beautiful redraw of the schemo anyways...

As someone pointed out -there is some value changes in my take on the H.E. but nothing essentially different. Anyone who bothers to read my handscribled junk will find some explanations. 470 ohms instead of 510 will only increase the frequency range available at the "Center Frequency" control, It's been tried and it's working and besides it is a value more commonly available so why not?

MB

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

I've just got to build one of these now - Hi Indy :wink:
:thumbsup :applause: :applause: :applause:
to everyone involved here - (you know who you are :wink: :wink: )
bajaman
be kind to all animals - especially human beings

Spazzmatazz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Spazzmatazz »

I'm so new in this forum (GREAT FORUM). You all are great!

I'm reading a lot and learning a lot. This is one of my next projects.

thanx
Spazz

joegore
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by joegore »

Will someone who's made one tell me how it SOUNDS? :)

Joe

PurplePeopleEater
Resistor Ronker
Information

joegore wrote:Will someone who's made one tell me how it SOUNDS? :)

Joe
Grizzly mentioned the sound, though his comments were almost hidden in his post :lol:
grizzlytone wrote: - all I can say is that this is how I made it and this is my take on it -the circuit works fine and sounds great to me -makes me wanna play all day....The perfboard is not much larger than a 9V battery and I certainly recognize the sound from Joe's mp3 files
Evidently it sounds comparable to the tones you are getting with the original unit. I'm looking forward to hearing your review of the clone vs vintage unit "side by side".

:D

joegore
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by joegore »

grizzlytone wrote:
joegore wrote:Okay, I'm'a display my ignorance:

Hi there, Glad you're up to trying it out. I guess my denotations is far from universal; cw,ccw, and w all refer connections for the potentiometers. (as seen from normal user side) cw for ClockWise soldering lug (i.e. max volume), ccw for CounterClockWise soldering lug, and w for Wiper soldering lug (the moving contact in between cw and ccw lugs.

Just 'cause this is EXACTLY the sort of thing I'm likely to screw up, let me verify:

CW = the lug often referred to as 3
CCW = the lug often referred to as 1, often connected to ground
W = the middle lug

Correct?

So what do the use of the colors blue and green signify?

Thanks!