Ibanez - Double Sound Fuzz Wah  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

No Fuzzface for the fuzzsection this time. The wah part is very standard though.

ere ye go,
Ibanez Double Sound schematic
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

:hmmm: Could it be that R11 is 47k ?

And there is really no additional 1M at the gate of T2 ?

BTW, the footswitch SW1 appears to be replaced in your unit. Originally it is a 2PDT swich, the same as SW-2.

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

analogguru wrote::hmmm: Could it be that R11 is 47k ?
:oops: again.. changed. While attempting to avoid these kind of remarks I do thank you for keeping me sharper. :hug:
analogguru wrote: And there is really no additional 1M at the gate of T2 ?
Checked, checked and doublechecked since I already expected a (justified AG :hmmm: ) for that.
Nope. It's not there.
analogguru wrote: BTW, the footswitch SW1 appears to be replaced in your unit. Originally it is a 2PDT swich, the same as SW-2.
I don't have a reason to believe this to be the case while I do for SW2 where secondary soldering seems to be in place. If so, it's done by someone who does know his soldering skills very well.

And for those who consider (some) of the above asskissing or whatever they want to call it, Too bad. I do consider AG one of the better teachers in critical focus on details and thank him for that.

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

Dirk_Hendrik wrote:And for those who consider (some) of the above asskissing or whatever they want to call it
No asskicking whatsoever to me, but I must admit that I have thought: how come can he (AG) compare/analyse a schem that fast?! :scratch:

But yes, AG's knowledge is amazing, and his sharing is so cool... :hug:
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

lolbou wrote:
Dirk_Hendrik wrote:And for those who consider (some) of the above asskissing or whatever they want to call it
No asskicking whatsoever to me, but I must admit that I have thought: how come can he (AG) compare/analyse a schem that fast?! :scratch:
The answer is simple:
with a huge picture collection.

And this picture collection shows a 2PDT for S1 in all cases. BTW, I havent seen 4PST used in japanese boxes originally. They were common in european pedals like from Schaller.
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

And a good sight, not like mine challenged with colorblindness... It would take me a lot of zooming on the second picture to actually compute a resistor value...

I have to use a magnifier and a bright lamp to make difficult readings on the resistors... :(

Anyway, thanks to both of you for info and schematic about this unit... :D
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

lolbou wrote:And a good sight, not like mine challenged with colorblindness... It would take me a lot of zooming on the second picture to actually compute a resistor value...
Don´t bother, I couldn´t do this too from the second picture (alone). I used the picture below, but even with this I was not 100% sure about it. Therefore my question to Dirk.

analogguru

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

lolbou wrote:And a good sight, not like mine challenged with colorblindness... It would take me a lot of zooming on the second picture to actually compute a resistor value...

I have to use a magnifier and a bright lamp to make difficult readings on the resistors... :(
I'm colourblind too... sucks doesn't it ?
I can sometime read them with a magnifier in good light.. otherwise i have to measure or get my son to tell me what it is..
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

i wonder-
would JFETs have to be picked for tolerance at the factory for this circuit? you would think that there would be a large amount of variation between boxes if they didn't do some kind of sorting.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

Dan N
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Dan N »

Thanks for the schematic! I was always curious about this one.
Dick joke has expired.

Brainbender
Breadboard Brother
Information
Completed builds: Fuzz Factory, Shin-ei Fuzz, Sixties Fuzzface, Fender Blender, Bazz Fuss, RAT, Tonebender, SFT, Blue Box, Super-fuzz, Big Muff (many versions), Mosrite Fuzzrite

Post by Brainbender »

thanxxxxx!!!! :D

jerms1162
Information

Post by jerms1162 »

i take it they made 2 versions of the ibanez double sound as the one i have has a standard 6 transistor super fuzz circuit in it!

Bastelfixx
Information

Post by Bastelfixx »

Hi Dirk,
thanks for the schematic and the layout of the Double Fuzz.
But, I´m a little confused:
in the schematic the 2,2 electrolyt-cap on "out" (balance-pot) is with pos. to SK30 - in the layout (https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6994) the cap is with neg. to the pot? :scratch:

Is the schematic right?

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Thanks for poining that out.

The layout is the correct one. The schem is wrong on that location.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

How about R8? Is it 27k as in schemo, or 47k as in layout?

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

Please can somebody post nice shot of wiring .....secound wersion with LED....please

thanks

Boris

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

found it
it is different from Dirks schem...... :thumbsup
Attachments
original.jpg
original.jpg (42.83 KiB) Viewed 3884 times
fuzzibanes025.jpg

maungaja
Information

Post by maungaja »

I want rebuilding this wah effect.. but i don't know how to wiring. Can you help me?

maungaja
Information

Post by maungaja »

Can you help me for wiring?

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

You are missing inductor for wah....rest should be easy......do you have pots and switches? box?