Thomas Organ Co. - Cry Baby Stereo Fuzz Wah

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
andy123
Information

Post by andy123 »

New one for sale/Auction here ....!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instrume ... 117217.htm

A

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

That price ($1400) is ridiculous as well as that whole listing. The listing is saying how great the pedal sounds. How would the poster know if the pedal is supposed to be new? lol And the poster also states that people will love your tone when you play with this thing. Wouldn't playing with that totally defeat the purpose of paying so much for it? It costs $1400 because it is trying to be sold as a collectors item. I have the exact same pedal and I got mine for $104. Whats the difference? Mine has been played before. Whatever. Its all hype. I guess you have to hype up your product if you want to sell it for way more than it is truly worth.

ChristoMephisto
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by ChristoMephisto »

$1400, lol what ever....

wouldn't mind seeing the instructions about the trim pots, in case it has any hidden info

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

There was an instruction manual for this thing that sold on Ebay last night. I bid on it, but I wasn't willing to pay more than 6 bucks total (including S+H), and apparently others were willing to spend double that. If I had won the auction, I was planning on scanning it and posting it here. If anyone has one that they could scan and post or a link to one already on the net, I would very much appreciate it. Thanks!

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

I just noticed that the link for the schematic that Dan N posted here is no longer working (Fuzz section only). So I figured I would repost it. I added part numbering to the schem, but thats the only change I made. Im finishing up a vero layout for this one right now. I want to go over it and double check all the connections and then I'll upload that here as well.
Crybaby Stereo Fuzz-Wah (Fuzz Section Only).gif
Crybaby Stereo Fuzz-Wah (Fuzz Section Only).gif (11.57 KiB) Viewed 2023 times

timbo_93631
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Low wattage SE amps
Completed builds: Many many many true bypass and voicing mods on wahs.
A few BYOC kits and DS-1 mods and eventual murder then rebirth into an actually useful pedal, Bad Stone clone, various Rangemasters/SilconMasterBlaster, The worlds greatest gutted GCB-95 volume pedal conversion with various switching options for controlling amps. Repaired many tube amps, scratchbuilt Marshall 18 watt clone and Supro 1616t rebuild. Delays, fuzz, dirt, every Madbean project I could afford. I even manage to find time to make babies with my wife too!

Post by timbo_93631 »

Dan N wrote:
george giblet wrote:
[On second thoughts, I'm not sure, the '03 brown inductor isn't shown on that site.]
I always thought the brown 03 predated the square.

Funny, with the borderline obsessive fascination with wah history, I can't find anything definitive online.
I have modded and repaired around 70 Crybabies and vintage Vox wahs and this is what I have noticed:
The first Stoack of Dimes was used on Vox Crybaby's around 1969, after the "Ash Can/Trash Can" inductor stamped 500. These may or may nor be stamped "03" and have only 2 pins, not four. Then the first US built Crybabys (Sepulveda and Chicago) that also used the Stack of Dimes, but the 4 pin version. After that, the Sepulveda Crybaby's and V846's went to the TDK inductor. The Thomas Organ INTL Chicago wahs started using the TDK a little later sometime in the mid 70's. Then towards the end of Thomas Organ production in the early 80's they started using the Stack of Dimes again and you see them even in some of the first GCB-95's.
"I wish to be in the situation of non killing my balls bills, and life surprises." -Sinner
"Everyone gets their shorts in a twist over who polished the fenders. No one cares about who designed the engine..." -DougH

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

Ok, here is the layout I made for the fuzz section of this pedal. This is the first layout I have made so if people would give it a look over and make sure I got everything right, that would be great! Totally unverified at this point. I was playing with my original and the sustain pot adds fuzz as you turn it counter clockwise. The way this is wired, would this circuit act the same way? If so, then I would like to flip the wires on the pot any make a new layout so it adds fuzz as you turn clockwise.
Attachments
Thomas Organ - Fuzz Circuit.png

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Layout looks good. As it's drawn, the sustain pot will reduce fuzz as you turn the control clockwise - to make it function as a standard pot, simply swap the tiny blue link over so it connects lug 1+2 NOT 2+3.

Also, the schematic says a 50k sustain pot, - assume the 1k labelled on the vero layout is correct? (Makes more sense in a fuzzface circuit like this).
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Nocentelli wrote:....the schematic says a 50k sustain pot, - assume the 1k labelled on the vero layout is correct?....
Doh! Didn't read the bit at the bottom...
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

Nocentelli wrote:Layout looks good. As it's drawn, the sustain pot will reduce fuzz as you turn the control clockwise - to make it function as a standard pot, simply swap the tiny blue link over so it connects lug 1+2 NOT 2+3.

Also, the schematic says a 50k sustain pot, - assume the 1k labelled on the vero layout is correct? (Makes more sense in a fuzzface circuit like this).
Thanks for looking it over. I made the wire swap and I'll upload it later when I have time to crop the image file. I should probably add a title to the layout so its obvious what the circuit is too.

I was wondering if the 50K volume was a good choice for this circuit? I guess I should mess with the volume trimpot on my original, but I was just seeing that most Fuzz Face circuits are 100k or 500k pots for the volume. How would this change the sound?

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Interesting subject: I always understood that a lower value (100kA is popular, 250kA as a compromise) led to a brighter tone, but I think it's also dependent on where you set the volume level. There's some interesting reading at DIYSB:

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/ ... ic=73456.0

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/ ... 718.0;wap2

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

Here is the new version of the layout that I mentioned. Sorry it took so long to upload it. I still haven't built one so there could be issues with this layout that no one has noticed, but I think its a pretty safe build at the moment. :thumbsup
Attachments
Thomas Organ - Fuzz Circuit v2.png

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

It took me forever to find a schematic of this, so I thought I would post it here so it might save someone some time. The image is labeled as the "Vox Stereo Fuzz Wah" but it should be exactly the same as the Thomas Organ (Model # 9-3700 regardless of branding).