Can you mod an old Peavey Bandit 112 solo series?

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!
DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

matt239 wrote:Hi. Dr! - Yes, the O.P. had already done the sockets, & was waiting for some chips, but we never heard how it went... ? ? ?

Did the other things I said seem to make sense to you? - You have a lot more experience than me..

I don't know how much trouble it's worth to fix up a Bandit.. I guess a little, if you get it cheap, & do it to learn how..
The reverb is really awful on these, & I don't think it's mostly the fault of the tank. Might be fairly easy to fix?

Well,I did some repair work on a Music Man guitar Amplifier for a mate of mine, it was a Hybrid design, that is, it was part Solid-State, and part Tube, anyway, when I first started working on it, it was very noisy, so I went through and desoldered all the original dual op-amp ICs which were old 1458 types, I also replaced all the original IC sockets too because the contacts were very dirty, I replaced all the original ICs with TLO72 types, result....much quieter in operation... :D

The Peavey Bandit is a well known and respected guitar amp, so I reckon they're worth fixing, you could try totally replacing the original reverb tank with a new or known good second-hand one.... :D

It shouldn't be too hard to mod it to give a better tone, probably no harder than with any other amp, but if the amp is at least over ten years old, then doing things like replacing all the power supply caps, and op-amp ICs, is probably going to go a long way to improving the sound of the amplifier, you could even probably replace the stock speaker with a new one, say maybe a Celestion.... :D

What I would do is search online for a schematic for the amp... :D
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

howmuch
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by howmuch »

mictester wrote:It was fun to try a "shootout" of a number of well-known overdrive pedals recently. The winner was the cheapest of them (a £20 Behringer). We had 20 people try the pedals in a "blind" testing scenario - 19 out of 20 of us chose the Behringer!
Out of interest, which of the many Behringer pedals are you referring to?
(Apologies for being off-topic.)
R.I.P. Burke Shelley, from one of my favourite (and much underrated) bands - Budgie
Their songs have been covered by Van Halen, Iron Maiden, Soundgarden, Metallica and more.
If you don't know how HEAVY this band was in the 70s, check Breadfan out.

matt239
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by matt239 »

Old thread, but; First, easiest tone change would be the speaker..

If it's pretty old, replace the filter caps. - May as well replace ALL the electrolytics on the board, it's not that many.
More modern, low noise op-amps will reduce noise.
The Peavey endorsed mods, may help.
- The reverb mod sounds interesting. - This reverb could use some help..

These are neat little amps. Seems worth tweaking to me.
You could end up with a very reliable and quiet amp.