Subminiature tube amp inspiration

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!
modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

Thanks for those links. I've been getting interested in messing with this sort of thing too.
Ever considered messing with Nuvistors? They're incredibly tiny, about the size of an AC128! I like the Nuvistor idea a little bit better because they have actual sockets, but I don't think it would be too hard to work out some kind of socket arrangement for the other styles of subminiatures that don't have sockets.

I would also like to try to do an amp using the low-voltage tubes as described at http://www.sophtamps.ca
I think mixing low voltage, low power, and small size would make for an excellent project that would be really fun.

theehman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by theehman »

soulsonic wrote:Thanks for those links. I've been getting interested in messing with this sort of thing too.
Ever considered messing with Nuvistors? They're incredibly tiny, about the size of an AC128! I like the Nuvistor idea a little bit better because they have actual sockets, but I don't think it would be too hard to work out some kind of socket arrangement for the other styles of subminiatures that don't have sockets.
I'd like to see something like that as well. I have a lot of NOS nuvistors Id like to do something with. Maybe I could give a few out to get the project rolling?

AletheianAlex
Information

Post by AletheianAlex »

theehman wrote:
soulsonic wrote:Thanks for those links. I've been getting interested in messing with this sort of thing too.
I'd like to see something like that as well. I have a lot of NOS nuvistors Id like to do something with. Maybe I could give a few out to get the project rolling?
Which nuvistors do you have and how much do you want for them? I have been wanting to get my hands on a bunch, but they are hard to find.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by soulsonic »

I was thinking the same thing....

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

I have these russian submini's. 1SH18B 1SH24B 1SH19. Fairly cheap and still widely available. I was going to use them in a Hammond tube distortion preamp circuit I didn't yet get around to.... as usual :wink:

Lots of nuvistors on ebay.com few in Europe, though saw these:
http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/RARE-30-pcs-758 ... otohosting
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by soulsonic »

Ach... Ruski Nuvistors! That means they have the abilities to make them! They're not constructed like regular vacuum tubes - requires different equipment and techniques. This whole time I assumed no one was making new Nuvistors because they technology was never developed in Russia so the tube factories there wouldn't be able to make them..... But now I see that they can make Nuvistors.... someone get Mike Matthews on the phone right now!!!

Nuvistors can possibly be the secret link required for making great quality compact tube stompboxes. I've been wanting to develop it for awhile, but it always seemed pointless because there isn't a source for new Nuvistor production. But if someone can get one of the factories to start making them again... or at least obtain the equipment and have it set up in an already-running factory (like Mike's Reflektor factory)... then we can make "The Dream" a reality. Someone call up New Sensor... right now!

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

http://www.keyboardpartner.de/hammond/d ... iagram.pdf

Let the Russians do the work!

Remember russian pilot Victor Belenko who defected to Japan in his MIG-25 Foxbat fighter back in 1976? U.S. military officials were stunned when they examined what they thought was the most advanced fighter jet in the world. The Russians, it turned out, were still using old-fashioned vacuum tubes instead of state-of-the-art transistors and computer chips. For all their vaunted military reputation, the Soviets seemed incredibly backward. Eventually though, it dawned on the Americans that the Soviets had figured out the old tubes would be less vulnerable to the electro-magnetic pulse of a nuclear blast than some newer components. The MIG-25 fighter was equipped with thousands of miniature vacuum tubes, and most of them are still available, since the russians literally made millions of them for military stock. Data of these tubes is pretty hard to find on the web, because the cyrillic transcription of their numbering is not consistent. Kindly people here in Europe have collected them, and some can be found at Elektronikinfo or at Franz Hambergers Röhrentabellen. Any preconceptions against russian quality? Look: These tube were designed to work in a combat fighter even at a nuclear bomp drop. Or ask an audiophool for the reputation of the russian 6C33 power triode, the one which was used in the MIG's power supply.
Check this for more: http://www.keyboardpartner.de/hammond/t-mod-skill4.htm
Mr.Huge The Nuvistor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: 09-06-2004, 18:31:23 »

You guys should also check out the Nuvistor!
These were used in some old Ampex preamps. They’re pretty cool.

Nuvistor

Also see;
http://semiconductormuseum.com/OralHist ... _Index.htm
http://www.logwell.com/tech/components/nuvistors.html
http://hhscott.com/cc/nuvistors.htm
Zachary Vex Re: Russian mini tubes
« Reply #29 on: 28-11-2006, 08:20:02 »

submini tubes aren't good for anything!

8^P
Here are some experiments
https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/ ... ic=22488.0

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by soulsonic »

Wow, those submini tubes you have can work well at low voltages too? This is what I've been looking for.....

Thank you very very very much ZJ! This has put my path in some good directions.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

soulsonic wrote:Wow, those submini tubes you have can work well at low voltages too? This is what I've been looking for.....

Thank you very very very much ZJ! This has put my path in some good directions.
All this stuff was posted and bumped time and time again on diy. Slajeunes experiments on diy had some schemos. Last reports were that they were very microphonic and then the discussion died out. Still that Hammond guys preamp (at 24V though) really rocks and should be useable to start out.

Should really start by breadboarding that hammond preamp, adapt it for guitar and make it the new klon. Keep us posting if you're going experimenting with this, really interested.

Papa_lazerous
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Papa_lazerous »

Wow I had never even heard of nuvistors before :shock:

Of course I knew of sub-minitures though :P

I havent looked yet on the forum as i am still only a few hours from joining up but I was wondering if anyone has tried cloning Zvex's little tube amp yet? Hell its worth asking and I feel safe I wont get flamed for mentioning the 'Z' word

I appreciate that ebay link. I am on the hunt for some nixies right now and that seller has them by the bucket load. Off topic but in the process of making a cool nixie clock. Something retro looking for the lounge 8)

I am seriously thinking of buying some of those tubes though, i am really into tubes they flaot my boat for sure. Although my ability to design something is lacking I am good at tweaking and also fabrication of parts like chassis and enclosures ( I work as a precision engineer) If anyone else wants to team up then let me know. Could be a really cool build.

I am thinking theres possibilities for somethign like a matchless hotbox type of build but low voltgae and small. Or even a tiny amp who knows. I guess the big deciding factor is going to be how these little tubes sound and what there qualities are once driven hard.... Anyone know about this side of it? Or you all just buzzing over how small and cure they are like I am lol