New ~26W Build

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!
Dr Tony Balls
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Sunn Model T

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

Curious how your build is going! Do tell and/or post pics.

theundeadelvis
Information

Post by theundeadelvis »

Haven't gotten much done yet (board populated, chassis layout). I ordered the Edcor transformer, and they build to order, which takes close to a month. I did receive an email from them saying it should be shipping soon, so hopefully I can get back at it.

BarryW
Information

Post by BarryW »

I'm going to do one of these too - Tony and many others on the Weber boards, which I also frequent, have done a great job on these. They're popular and seem to sound great. Mine will be a simple scratch build for fun in a spare hammond chassis. I just wanted to chime in to thank Tony as well as Scott and the others that were in on this build. I'll try to post some pix as well.

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

Fuck. Just now saw this.

I am very impressed. I love the headroom you can get with a KT66. I use one in my Univalve about half the time (with the other half being a JJ E34L).

Dr Tony Balls
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Sunn Model T

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

Thanks, everyone!

I think what I like most about this project is seeing the same front to many different back-ends. Its cool, and educational in a way when you compare all of the schematics. I think one guy even built one with a quad of 6L6's. Super neat. I'd like to try the same front end on a fixed bias power section too....

apeshoot
Information

Post by apeshoot »

Hi. Just found this post and as I am looking to build a new amp, (I've built a mini Trainwreck 5w, Modded a Valve Jr, and restored a 1946 Supro) I wanted to ask if you could do a Bill Of Materials list so I know I have all of the right components.

aharon colman
Information

Post by aharon colman »

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
theundeadelvis wrote:Started building mine yesterday. Quick question. What diodes did you use for the rectifier? I've got some 1N4007's and I'm wondering if they'll suffice. Thanks!
Nah, the current through em will be too much. Use some 1N5408s or something similar.

Make that UF5408s,Made an amp very similar years ago with the help of the Ax84 forum,matchless spitfire front end and cathode biased EL34s.
Aharon