My New Legacy 5 Watt Class A Valve Guitar Amplifier

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!
DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

Sorry to bug you Bajaman, but I was wondering if you could recommend a Valve brand that would give an improvement in tone from my Legacy Amp?, the stock Valves are two Chinese 12AX7B, and one Chinese EL84/6BQ5, or do you think I may be wasting both my time and money and should stick with what's installed in it, the sound of the amp is a bit dark,and the bass is a bit flabby, or could I improve things just by tweaking the components in the tonestack, also, would something like a 10 inch Jensen, or Celestion speaker sound better than the stock speaker?, it sounds a bit cardboardy, any help muchly appreciated..... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

smackoj
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by smackoj »

I'm not as cool as the Bajabandito but I know quite a bit about the tube amps. I would definitely put a different speaker in her as the first tone upgrade. With the low watt tubies I like the alnico magnet ones you can buy on eeebay for not much more than a song (Rola, Magnavox, Fender, Jensen, Heppner). Finding 10 inch ones is a little more time consuming but still doable. For the ceramic magnet models the Celestion white label ones are darn good and the Fender blue label ones are my favs also. I'll try to find a couple pics or links to add here for your inspection.

Tubes for your 5 watter would be this suggestion: Many people like the JJ model EL84 and their long plate 12AX7s are good too. I have become a fan of the Sovtek line of tubes myself but I mostly run 6L6s. The Sovtek 6L6WXT are the best production ones out there IMO. The Sovtek 12AX7s are very powerful.

As far as vintage tubes I prefer the Sylvania brand, RCA brand and Motorola for the US brands. The Amperex Bugle Boy are good as well as the Mullard and Telefunken are all good from the early European valves.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-GENUINE-Fe ... 2356dae782

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Celestion-Tube ... 25aab1f9ae

BEST OF LUCK AMIGO

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

smackoj wrote:I'm not as cool as the Bajabandito but I know quite a bit about the tube amps. I would definitely put a different speaker in her as the first tone upgrade. With the low watt tubies I like the alnico magnet ones you can buy on eeebay for not much more than a song (Rola, Magnavox, Fender, Jensen, Heppner). Finding 10 inch ones is a little more time consuming but still doable. For the ceramic magnet models the Celestion white label ones are darn good and the Fender blue label ones are my favs also. I'll try to find a couple pics or links to add here for your inspection.

Tubes for your 5 watter would be this suggestion: Many people like the JJ model EL84 and their long plate 12AX7s are good too. I have become a fan of the Sovtek line of tubes myself but I mostly run 6L6s. The Sovtek 6L6WXT are the best production ones out there IMO. The Sovtek 12AX7s are very powerful.

As far as vintage tubes I prefer the Sylvania brand, RCA brand and Motorola for the US brands. The Amperex Bugle Boy are good as well as the Mullard and Telefunken are all good from the early European valves.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-GENUINE-Fe ... 2356dae782

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Celestion-Tube ... 25aab1f9ae

BEST OF LUCK AMIGO

I was actually seriously considering buying a Jensen C10Q to put in my Legacy amp as I liked the tone I got when I put one in my Peavey Backstage Plus amp, apparently the magnet in a C10Q is a ceramic type.... :thumbsup

The Jensen C10Q is a 10 inch, 8 Ohm speaker rated at 35 watts so it should work great since the original speaker is an 8 Ohm one too... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.