THUNDERFUNK 750-A

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!
chicago_mike
Tube Twister
Information

Post by chicago_mike »

These are the putput tranny pdf's
Attachments
2sa1295e.pdf
(28.05 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
2sc3264e.pdf
(28.08 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
Skyline FX 2013

chicago_mike
Tube Twister
Information

Post by chicago_mike »

So I still need to test this transformer. But what Im not sure is how to test current draw.

Or

How to calculate needed current draw. At least for the power amplifier section.

I'll google, hope it comes up with info.
Skyline FX 2013

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

chicago_mike wrote: How to calculate needed current draw. At least for the power amplifier section.

Power = amps x amps x ohms

This is for a steady RMS output, not peak, burst, or program power or any of the other statistical ways that advertising literature has of making something look better/bigger/more powerful than it actually is.

rearranging the formula

amps = square root of (power / ohms)

so say you want 200W into 4 ohms

amps = square root of 50 = 7 (well 7.07 to be precise)
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

chicago_mike
Tube Twister
Information

Post by chicago_mike »

Gracias!

So this transformer is pulling some serious current.
Skyline FX 2013

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

deltafred wrote:
chicago_mike wrote: How to calculate needed current draw. At least for the power amplifier section.

Power = amps x amps x ohms

This is for a steady RMS output, not peak, burst, or program power or any of the other statistical ways that advertising literature has of making something look better/bigger/more powerful than it actually is.

rearranging the formula

amps = square root of (power / ohms)

so say you want 200W into 4 ohms

amps = square root of 50 = 7 (well 7.07 to be precise)

If my memory serves me right the RMS power is about .707 of the Peak power deltafred, but I could be wrong...... :hmmm:
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

DrNomis wrote: If my memory serves me right the RMS power is about .707 of the Peak power deltafred, but I could be wrong...... :hmmm:
Forget about peak power, once you get away from RMS you are into advertising speak (and car sound systems). (IMO, IME, YMMV etc. etc.)

If you are working with bass amps then RMS is THE only acceptable unit. (IMO ...... etc. )

Now voltage wise peak and especially peak to peak is important because the supply rails set your peak/peak voltage.

If you have a transformer with say 37v - 0 - 37 VAC and full wave rectify it you end up with about -52, 0, +52 VDC supply rails. (37 X 1.414) (forgetting about voltage drop in the rectifiers)

If you drive a sinewave so it nearly clips then you have about 104V peak to peak, divide this by 2.828 (2 X square root of 2, one of the numbers that should be embedded in an EE's brain) then you have about 37V RMS output (the transformer voltage :!: ).

To find the power it will drive into a load you need to square the voltage and divide by the load impedance, so say 8 ohm load.

P = V x V / R
=37 x 37 / 8
= about 170 watts.

Then calculate the current required (as per my prev post)

Amps = square root of (power / ohms)
= sq root of 170/8
= 4.6 amps.

So for to drive 170W into 8 ohms you need an absolute minimum of a 37 - 0 - 37 volt 4.6 amp transformer.

(I haven't checked the maths so it may contain errors)
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

deltafred wrote:
DrNomis wrote: If my memory serves me right the RMS power is about .707 of the Peak power deltafred, but I could be wrong...... :hmmm:
Forget about peak power, once you get away from RMS you are into advertising speak (and car sound systems). (IMO, IME, YMMV etc. etc.)

If you are working with bass amps then RMS is THE only acceptable unit. (IMO ...... etc. )

Now voltage wise peak and especially peak to peak is important because the supply rails set your peak/peak voltage.

If you have a transformer with say 37v - 0 - 37 VAC and full wave rectify it you end up with about -52, 0, +52 VDC supply rails. (37 X 1.414) (forgetting about voltage drop in the rectifiers)

If you drive a sinewave so it nearly clips then you have about 104V peak to peak, divide this by 2.828 (2 X square root of 2, one of the numbers that should be embedded in an EE's brain) then you have about 37V RMS output (the transformer voltage :!: ).

To find the power it will drive into a load you need to square the voltage and divide by the load impedance, so say 8 ohm load.

P = V x V / R
=37 x 37 / 8
= about 170 watts.

Then calculate the current required (as per my prev post)

Amps = square root of (power / ohms)
= sq root of 170/8
= 4.6 amps.

So for to drive 170W into 8 ohms you need an absolute minimum of a 37 - 0 - 37 volt 4.6 amp transformer.

(I haven't checked the maths so it may contain errors)

I think this is all good stuff to keep revising and remembering deltafred, thanks for that cause I feel I've learnt something here...... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

It is all based around

1. Power = Amps X Volts
2. Ohms law - volts = amps X ohms, or rearranged to ohms = volts/amps, or amps = volts/ohms.
3. The RMS voltage of a sinewave is the peak voltage divided by 1.414

To calculate the current required where voltage and impedance are known - all values are RMS.
power = amps x volts (1)
but from (2) volts = amps x ohms so substitute this into the above and you get
power = amps x amps x ohms
rearrange it to separate amps out
amps = square root of power/ohms

To calculate the voltage to drive a known power into a specific impedance - all values are RMS.
power = amps x volts (1)
but from (2) amps = volts/ohms
so power = volts x volts/ohms
rearrange to separate volts out
volts = square root of (power x ohms)

The transformer voltage should be at least + and - the voltage calculated above as there will be voltage dropped across the rectifier diodes and ripple on the smoothing capacitors dependant upon capacitance and current drawn. This involves another load of maths if you want to calculate it.

The capacitor working voltage should be in excess of transformer voltage x 1.414 (from 3)

The rectifier reverse breakdown voltage should be in excess of transformer voltage x 2.828

I hope this makes sense (and that I haven't made too many mistakes).

chicago_mike
Tube Twister
Information

Post by chicago_mike »

After rectification, on the power supply, we see + and - 92 volts.
The amp puts out 750watts into a 2ohm load rms.

So 92x92/2?

And 750/2 sqrd?

I know I missed something. :slap:
Skyline FX 2013

chicago_mike
Tube Twister
Information

Post by chicago_mike »

So I am putting a shopping list together for this thing..

The one item I cannot find is the inductor on the power amp module.

Its 4uH. but I don't know who makes it. :(
Skyline FX 2013

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

Sorry for the delay, I've had other stuff to attend to.

So 750W, 2 ohms

volts = square root of (power x ohms)
= sq root 750 x 2
=sq root 1500
= 39 volts so a 40 - 0 - 40 (or a bit more) transformer would provide the theoretical minimum.

Looking at https://www.freestompboxes.org/download/ ... &mode=view
it states that the supplies are +/- 78 volts which is probably no load voltage. A transformer with 55 - 0 - 55 volts will give that

It will account for ripple in the smoothing capacitors (value unknown) and transformer regulation, normally taken as 5% at full load.

amps = square root of power/ohms
= sq root 750 / 2
= sq root 375
= 19 amps, some serious current there!

So a 55v - 0 - 55v @ 19A to give 750w continuous. I don't know the spec on the Thunderfunk (whether it continuous or not).

to double check
power = amps x volts
= 19 x 39
= 741 watts

which is reasonable as I have been rounding to whole numbers.

The current still stands at 19A, some serious current there!

To build a 750W power amp is no mean feat and could go horribly wrong unless you do an exact copy of the Thunderfunk (both electrically, and thermally/mechanically), just saying.

chicago_mike
Tube Twister
Information

Post by chicago_mike »

My thoughts too.

My concern is to get the inductor now.

I can get everything else. The heatsink Dave uses is from way back in the AMP 420 days. So I could always get in touch with Russ Allee about heat sink suppliers.

The enclosure is all aluminum. And the fan can run continuous.

19 amps....oof!!!
Skyline FX 2013

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

chicago_mike wrote: My concern is to get the inductor now.

19 amps....oof!!!
I don't see an inductor, probably not looking at the right schematic, do you have a link.

Yea 19A is heavy current stuff.

chicago_mike
Tube Twister
Information

Post by chicago_mike »

Its on the amplifier board.

The coil. A 4uH one. has a resistor in parallel with it. I think it should be on the PDF. :)
Skyline FX 2013

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

that's just a simple output inductor - about 20 turns around a screwdriver of 1.5mm diameter enameled copper wire should do the trick :wink:
be kind to all animals - especially human beings

chicago_mike
Tube Twister
Information

Post by chicago_mike »

:hug:
Skyline FX 2013

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

Ok, I've read the whole damned thread and don't see a schematic anywhere for the output stage with an inductor on it, just a photo of an anti-parasitic one as Baja says, here https://www.freestompboxes.org/download/ ... &mode=view. I may of course have just failed to see it, it wouldn't be the first time.

Also you are talking about +/- 92 volts, where the f... does that come from. The schematic I was looking at is +/- 78v. (The one I linked before.)

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

chicago_mike
Tube Twister
Information

Post by chicago_mike »

The 92volts is on the actual PCB.

The schematic is for an older thunderfunk. Notice on the piccies..there are 6 sankens instead of 4.

I was indeed referring to the parasitic inductor. I figure I'll just make my own.

The schematic I got from Dave doesn't show all the updates he has done.

I think I got everything :block:
Skyline FX 2013

chicago_mike
Tube Twister
Information

Post by chicago_mike »

Hmmmmm.

Okay the PCB says 92volts + -.

But the schema says what 73...

Could it be still 73volts even if the power supply PCB says 92?

hmmmm
Skyline FX 2013

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

Ah that makes more sense now, I remember you mentioning 6 op trannies and the schematic I was looking at had 4.

The choke isn't critical, as Baja says wind a few turns of insulated copper wire round a drill shank or screwdriver, that is all the manufacturer does. Just estimate the wire gauge from the photo (or use what you have) and put the same number of turns as in the photo.