Orange Micro Terror

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!

Re: Orange Micro Terror

Postby schastleevo » 13 Feb 2015, 02:11

I've demo'ed the Micro Terror a couple of times in a store, & thought that it's an interesting "little" amp. Maybe I can't help myself, but I was trying to think how much better it would sound with some tweeks. I've listened to the YouTube that demos some tube swaps, & gives a nice impression but to really hear the change in person is always better. Swapping the tubes is good for a little change, & a nice place to start.

I was also thinking about replacing the OpAmps for an added improvement. I've swapped out the OpAmps in my Jolida turntable preamp along with the tube swap, & really noticed an improvement in the sound.

I've been trying to search for the circuit schematic, but am surprised that I haven't been able to find one yet. I'm also surprised that I haven't read of anyone changing the OpAmps either. I thought that someone on this forum would have tried this by now with the Micro Terror. Maybe I've missed this, or searched using the wrong phrases.
schastleevo

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby FiveseveN » 13 Feb 2015, 12:53

schastleevo wrote:really noticed an improvement in the sound.

In what way?

I'm also surprised that I haven't read of anyone changing the OpAmps either.

What's wrong with the original ones?
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. (Charles Darwin)
FiveseveN
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 45 times

Postby Groovenut » 13 Feb 2015, 15:23

The chances are very good that this is basically a tube driver type arrangement. Starved tube for overdrive/distortion, opamp for buffer then boost, hits the tube then opamp for buffering and driving the tone controls then driving the power amp. All along the way filtering the signal to achieve the Orange sound. I haven't looked in depth at the traces on the pcb but thats my guess as to archetecture.
Groovenut
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 109 times

Postby schastleevo » 14 Feb 2015, 01:59

In what way?

The Jolida is a really good turntable preamp with a 12AX7 tube output for each channel. When the opamps were installed and I sat down for a listen it had even better detail and definition as well as depth of soundstage.

With the OEM opamps in place the Jolida is still a good preamp, but when the opamps were swapped it really helped make a noticeable improvement. So this has me wondering about the opamp swap in the Micro Terror, then trying some tube rolling for a little fine tuning. It's a nice amp, I like it's small size & the price is nice.

As I mentioned it's too bad that my searches for the circuit schematic isn't having much luck.
schastleevo

Postby FiveseveN » 14 Feb 2015, 11:37

schastleevo wrote:had even better detail and definition as well as depth of soundstage.

I asked because people are usually fooling themselves. And while a proper test can be done, few do and it seems to be the case here as well.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. (Charles Darwin)

For this message the author FiveseveN has received thanks:
Pruttelherrie (11 Sep 2016, 18:34)
FiveseveN
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 45 times

Postby dimitarmk » 11 Mar 2016, 00:46

First let me apologize for writing on an old thread, but I'm really interested in making this amp.

I couldn't find any schematic available, but the pictures posted really help. Probably nobody bothered as this amp is cheap to buy. But some of us that are on the end of the world can't even order it - shipping, customs and duties would be crazy.
I also think shitty amps like Frontman 15 and so on are perfect candidates for converting to hybrid - tube/solidstate amp as they already come with a speaker, transformer that can be reused and so on.

From the pictures as I can see, the STA540 is wired into Dual bridge mode but only OUT1 and OUT2 are used, where OUT3 and OUT4 are left out as this is a mono guitar amp, not a stereo.

STA540 is a really simple and cheap power amp - $1.2 on eBay.

Can somebody provide higher-quality pictures where the we can see capacitor and resistor values ?
dimitarmk

Postby Coldwindofnowhere » 24 Apr 2016, 17:32

Here are some high quality pictures of the pcb :

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/aywpiig6zbid3/Orange

Anyone there would be able to make the schematic based on these pictures ?
Coldwindofnowhere

Postby orcl2 » 08 Aug 2016, 09:10

Is dificult in this way, i'll try.
orcl2

Postby kciuq » 04 Oct 2016, 19:48

Hi, schematic be found?
kciuq

Postby kciuq » 08 Oct 2016, 13:58

Some picture micro terror pcb.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7rGos8PexGKaFNSVWhfQ3lnYm8?usp=sharing

In my version, do not have 7812 stabilization has bypassed.

Preamp is not exactly tiny terror preamp, micro terror in both the cathode connected to the ground without RC.
kciuq

Postby camljenkins94 » 21 Nov 2017, 17:47

I know that it's been more than a year since this thread was messed with, but I couldn't help myself. I went ahead and carefully studied the pictures of the Micro Terror pcb in order to try and make a schematic.

Micro Terror Preamp.PNG

I traced it as far as I could before I got to the giant blob of hot glue by the Aux-in jack. It was here where I lost both the trace and my will to live. :( Mind you, the Part numbers on my schematic aren't the same as on the pcb.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For this message the author camljenkins94 has received thanks: 4
deltafred (21 Nov 2017, 20:46), FiveseveN (21 Nov 2017, 19:03), karul (22 Nov 2017, 00:08), Matec (Today, 00:54)
camljenkins94

Have thanks: 6 times

Previous

Return to Amplifiers