Help on Marshall Bass State B65 transformer

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!
arcaarca
Information

Post by arcaarca »

Hi everyone,
a friend of mine gave me a Marshall Bass State B65 combo. The transformer is broken, it's a Dagnall transformer type D9609.
The final stage of this amp is very similar to Valvestate V65 amp, whit T64-T65 power transistors:

http://www.drtube.com/schematics/marshall/pc0689p.pdf

one of the mainly differences is the couple of resistors R101-R102, they are 470 ohm in B65.
The trafo specifications for Valvestate 65 are Dagnall D9601 or Drake 784-352

I need some help on get the transformer specifications, I think it could be a 24-0-24 or maybe little more, but I'm not so good with trafo stuff and I'd like start to learn something ;-)

Thanks a lot

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

Your description of problem is a bit vague,
Can I ask How you established that the transformer has blown?
Have you checked FS1 ? (the mains fuse)
Phil.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

arcaarca wrote:Hi everyone,
a friend of mine gave me a Marshall Bass State B65 combo. The transformer is broken, it's a Dagnall transformer type D9609.
The final stage of this amp is very similar to Valvestate V65 amp, whit T64-T65 power transistors:

http://www.drtube.com/schematics/marshall/pc0689p.pdf

one of the mainly differences is the couple of resistors R101-R102, they are 470 ohm in B65.
The trafo specifications for Valvestate 65 are Dagnall D9601 or Drake 784-352

I need some help on get the transformer specifications, I think it could be a 24-0-24 or maybe little more, but I'm not so good with trafo stuff and I'd like start to learn something ;-)

Thanks a lot

Have you tried googling for the specs for that transformer?...... :hmmm:
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

arcaarca
Information

Post by arcaarca »

to Phatt: I've checked main fuse, it was blown and it blowns when I turn on the main switch, even if I use only the transformer, removing the wires from secondary to pcb, so I think the problem should be on the transformer,

to DrNomis: I'm still googling around, I found many specifications for other Dagnall transformers, but no one for the D9609 or D96.. series :x

Full description on the transformer is:

TX3
D9609 9546
Dagnall Electronics Ltd

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

OK, yes sounds terminal but it still could be a faulty power switch. I'd Try removing it from circuit before I give up. (assuming switch is after fuse)
If Transformer then yes likely the circuit runs from 35~40 volt DC rails so any Transformer that outputs 25~28 x2 VAC will likely make it work again.

Time to hunt down old stereo equipment that are often now collecting dust or trashed at the local tip. :secret:
Phil.

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

To give 65W at 8 ohms you need a minimum transformer voltage of about 24v for each winding with a total current of at least 3A (1.5A per winding). Probably best to go a bit higher on the current so you don't cook the transformer, 2A per winding should be fine.

So as Phatt says about 25v or a bit more, don't go too high otherwise you will be needing a new speaker (driver) if you get a bit carried away with the volume control.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

arcaarca
Information

Post by arcaarca »

The fuse is after the power switch, and before the transformer, so I think the problem is "just" the transformer.. sigh!!
I'll have to looking for some good stuff, maybe 2nd hand store or similar... thanks a lot to everyone for suggestions and support!

ilcaccillo
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by ilcaccillo »

phatt wrote:OK, yes sounds terminal but it still could be a faulty power switch. I'd Try removing it from circuit before I give up. (assuming switch is after fuse)
If Transformer then yes likely the circuit runs from 35~40 volt DC rails so any Transformer that outputs 25~28 x2 VAC will likely make it work again.

Time to hunt down old stereo equipment that are often now collecting dust or trashed at the local tip. :secret:
Phil.
In the schematic the rails are +15V and -15V and not "35~40 volt DC rails"

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall
Completed builds: Far to many to afford the enclosures for them all. :)

Post by Ice-9 »

It is probably a close spec Tx to the V65 but as you have only posted the part of the schematic for the V65 and not the bas state B65 and I am unable to find the correct schematic for the B65 it is not possible to say. Your easiest solution would be to email either Drake or Marshall for the Tx spec. I have had regular dealings with Marshall and always have had them give me the info needed. They have even sold me replacement transformers for JMP1's. Give them an email, probs the quickest answer you will get.

PS , i'm guessing by its model name it has a preamp valve, so the TX will have multiple windings for high voltage and heaters for the valve and low voltage windings for solid state circuits. Marshall generally use +/- 15V DC for op amp parts and somewhere between +/-25V to +/-35V for the output stages.
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

I had have a Valvestate V80 for repair in the past, parts of the power supply are the same as these in the V65.
I noted down the read voltages.
V80_1.jpg
V80_2.jpg

ilcaccillo
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by ilcaccillo »

Ohh I see,
thats correct, thanks for clearing this up