Peavey Backstage Plus 35W Guitar Amp

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!
DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

Hi Everyone,

I've just recently been given a Peavey Backstage Plus 35W Solid State guitar amp for nothing, and I'm currently working on it to get it back to a useable state, so, what's wrong with it?

Well, the original speaker is a no-worker but the rest of the amp seems to work fine, I verified this by plugging my pair of headphones into the headphone socket, I get normal sound through my headphones but no sound through the speaker.... :thumbsup

I've managed to find what I think should be a good replacement on the Musician's Friend website, the replacement speaker I have selected and ordered online is a 10 inch Jensen C10Q speaker.

Also managed to find some good/readable schematics for it online too...... :thumbsup

The other thing wrong with the amp is R63, a 22 Ohm /1W resistor, is burnt out so I'll be replacing R63 with a new one..... :thumbsup

The only other thing the amp needs is all the pots sprayed with contact cleaner, which I've already done..... :thumbsup

Finally, one mod I'm going to make to the amp is to replace the original power indicator led with a blue one...... :thumbsup

Another mod I'm going to do is replace all the 4558 op amp ICs with TLO72CP....... :thumbsup

And also make a footswitch for the amp as well..... :thumbsup

Anyway, just thought I would post the schematics for any one interested in downloading a copy:
Attachments
Peavey Backstage Plus Schematics.pdf
Peavey Backstage Plus Schematics
(571.38 KiB) Downloaded 477 times
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

Update:

Replaced the burnt-out R63 resistor, and done all the mods I wanted to do, everything went fine so now all I'm waiting on is the new Jensen C10Q replacement speaker..... :thumbsup

Also made a footswitch for my Peavey Backstage Plus amp as well since both the Saturation (Distortion) and the Reverb are footswitchable, this amp is shaping up to be quite a useful little amp, been surfing the Internet for info about this amp and have read lots of good things about it, apparently it's a loud amp for it's size and power, also read that it works well with stompboxes...... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

Update:

Three of the pots have failed, basically the carbon paint on the resistive track has flaked off so the pots need replacing, the pot for the Saturation control is a dual-gang type but one of the resistive tracks is 1k so it's not as simple as just replacing it with a dual-gang 10k pot, the other one is 10k, the Post control pot, 10k, also needs replacing as well as the reverb pot,10, have tried seeing if some pots from Jaycar would work, they won't.... :hmmm:

Just wondering where I can buy a complete set of new replacement pots for my Peavey Backstage plus...... :hmmm:

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

those pots are crappy - try your local Peavey agent for spares :wink:
be kind to all animals - especially human beings

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

bajaman wrote:those pots are crappy - try your local Peavey agent for spares :wink:

Will do, been doing some googling for new pots too, but looks like I'll probably have to see if I can order some from Peavey USA, was hoping I could order them from a Peavey agent in Australia, I'm pretty keen on getting my Peavey Backstage Plus going again since it was sounding good before the pots failed, the Jensen C10Q speaker I bought for it was a great choice..... :thumbsup

clintrubber
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by clintrubber »

Hi,

Curious if you managed to find that non-standard dual pot for the saturation-position?
Have a 'non-Plus' Backstage upcoming which uses the same pot, and it seems to be scratchy...

Thanks

microbailey
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by microbailey »

I'm currently modifying an early 00's Peavey Bandit (see the thread "My mission to modify a Peavey Bandit into a boutique amp" I've got going on here) and I'm replacing a couple of the crackly pots.
I know for that amp the Marshall spare pots are the same as Peavey used originally.
I don't know where you're based but in the UK I buy my replacement pots (including Peavey/Marshall) from Hotrox (hotroxuk.com)
"There's something about a Gucci loafer kicking on a fuzz pedal" Alex Turner, Arctic Monkeys

clintrubber
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by clintrubber »

microbailey wrote: from Hotrox (hotroxuk.com)
The amp has arrived, pots are indeed a bit scratchy, but all functional, so hope just some spraying will do for now.

Thanks for the Hotrox-info, might come in handy... Might be good that I have a look already for a spare saturation-pot since that'll be the most difficult part to obtain.

Good luck with the Bandit!

Bye

clintrubber
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by clintrubber »

FWIW: having a Backstage 30 and a later Backstage (coloured knobs, reverb, satur.-circ.) side by side,
it's interesting/boring/(ir)relevant to see the changes they've made:

-to my surprise the cabinet height of the latter is slightly less.
-the alu side-trims on the baffle are smaller for the latter, and seem to be plastic now :shock:
-'rougher' (more 3D) tolex
-the nice 3D front panel of the '30' changed into a simple silkscreened version for the latter
-both logo's seem plastic, but I understood a metal logo also existed - perhaps on the bigger amps only ?
-I guess I don't have to mention the change from the ubercool Sputnik-style alu-knobs to the conveniently coloured but fully unvibey plastic knobs :hmmm:

Al in all, the latter seems to be a bit more streamlined... in other words, where production costs could be saved
they've done so. That's how things go.

Bye

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

clintrubber wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 14:43 Hi,

Curious if you managed to find that non-standard dual pot for the saturation-position?
Have a 'non-Plus' Backstage upcoming which uses the same pot, and it seems to be scratchy...

Thanks

Actually no, I really tried my hardest to find a replacement 10k/1k dual-gang pot but unfortunately I couldn't find one anywhere, so I ended up replacing the stock one with a single-gang 10k pot, as far as I can remember I only needed to make a very minor mod to the circuit to make the single-gang 10k pot work virtually the same as the original 10k/1k dual-gang pot, I need to refresh my memory by examining exactly what I did to make a 10k single-gang pot work in the circuit.

It seems to me like Peavey were very notorious for using non-standard dual-gang pots in these old 80's (I'm assuming that's when my Backstage Plus amp was made) guitar amps, whether it was on purpose or not, I don't really know for sure, but it sure makes servicing these things a bit harder than necessary, especially when Peavey no longer manufacture them.

Update:

I just figured-out how I did the very minor mod to my Backstage Plus amp so that a standard 10k 24mm single-gang pot will work perfectly well as a replacement pot for the original 10k/1k dual-gang pot, so here's a short write-up of how to do the mod:

Components/Parts needed:

X1 10k Lin 24mm Pot (I used a 10kB 24mm pot I bought from my local Jaycar Electronics store, seems to work perfectly well).

X1 1k/1% Metal Film 1/2W resistor (This replaces the missing 1k half of the original pot).

X7 Replacement knobs with grub-screws to fit all the pots.

X1 Small roll of tinned copper wire.

Here's what you do.....

Step 1....Remove the amp's circuit board from the chassis, after first making sure that there's no power going to the amp.

Step 2...Desolder the original 10k/1k dual-gang pot.

Step 3....On the copper-foil side of the circuit-board locate the solder-pads where the 1k half of the original 10k/1k dual-gang pot was soldered to the circuit board, and solder the 1k/1% metal-film resistor in place so that one end of the resistor is soldered to the pad that connects to C7 (22uF/25V), and the other end is soldered to the pad that connects to the two clipper diodes (CR5 and CR6), make sure you link the centre pad to this pad as well by using some of the 1k/1% resistor's lead as a wire-link.

Step 4...Cut the 10kB single-gang pot's shaft to length so that you can fit the new knob to it.

Step 5...Cut three 50mm pieces of tinned copper wire and solder each of these to their respective terminals on the new replacement 10kB pot, making sure you don't overheat the terminals or the pot.

Step 6...Solder the new 10kB pot in place on the circuit board, making sure that you allow enough tinned-copper wire length for the new pot to sit flush against the chassis where it pokes through the mounting hole.

Step 7....And finally re-install the circuit board back in the chassis before installing the new knobs on all the pots, once the amp is put back-together again give the amp a test-out, you should notice that the Saturation control should work virtually identically as it used to with the original pot.

Here's a tip, Peavey seem to really like using the JRC4558D dual Op Amp IC in these amps, the JRC4558D tends to be a bit noisy and hissy, fortunately there's a good low-noise, pin-for-pin compatible replacement for these, the TLO72CP, I replaced all the JRC4558D ICs in my Peavey Backstage Plus amp with TLO72CP ICs, but I soldered-in IC sockets to make them easily replaceable if I ever need to, works a treat to make the amp nice and quiet, so quiet that when I first turned it on I thought I had damaged something on the circuit-board, but when I plugged-in my guitar, turned up the volume, plucked a string, i was pleasantly surprised.

Hope that helps.......

I'm attaching a PDF of the Peavey Backstage Plus just in case anyone else needs to do service work on one of these, it includes the circuit board layout too, also attaching a pic of my Peavey Backstage Plus.
Attachments
Peavey Backstage Plus_resized.jpg
Peavey-Backstage-Plus-Schematic.pdf
(925.32 KiB) Downloaded 146 times