onkyo TX-8511 as guitar amp?

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!
ksandbergfl
Information

Post by ksandbergfl »

Hi there.

My neighbor had a Onkyo stereo in his trash pile, I brought it home and powered it up, works fine! 100W per channel, stereo. I believe these stereos went for around $500 when they were new. The sound is very clean and very loud. I have run my guitar effects (Johson J-Station) into it, thru a pair of speakers, and am pretty happy with the sound.

I have some speakers laying around, and I got this crazy idea to use it has a power amp for a bass combo, with the left channel driving two 10" speakers and the right channel driving a single 15" speaker.

Has anyone done anything like this before? Am I wasting my time? What considerations am I not aware of?

Thanks

mavrim
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mavrim »

In the 80's I connected my rockman to my stereo and it sounded real good. I suppose it's ok for home use. I would not do that if playing out at clubs.

joe_pineapple
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: eden highwayman
Completed builds: woolish mammoth, a variety of germanium and silicon fuzz factories, machine, parallel universe, random # generator, dirty sanchez, swamp thang, SHO, DLS, peach fuzz, cream puff, prunes and custard, red llamalike,

Post by joe_pineapple »

sure, why not? technically, the only thing you should avoid is loading the amp beyond it's impedance capacity with mismatched speakers. this article explains it pretty well - http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm

the 15" speaker is most likely 8 ohms and will match one channel of the amp no problem.
how the 2x10" speakers are wired (series or parallel) will determine the ohm load that it presents to the other channel.

i would guess that yr makeshift rig could be fine as a bedroom practice setup but it's unlikely that you'll be able to hang with a drummer.
"..the finished product is just the garbage left over from the work." R.G. Keen

ksandbergfl
Information

Post by ksandbergfl »

I finally got around to this project last week. I built a 4x8 cabinet instead, with two of the speakers being full-range and two being woofers... I get a nice full sound, not thin or tinny at all. I hacked the headphone jack to be the guitar input, so I can use regular guitar cables. The Onkyo works great...and gets very loud! I'm thinking of bringing my rig to my next band practice.

YouTube video is here:
Attachments
image.jpeg